PDA

View Full Version : Remodeling Question??

95mustang302
12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a wall in my house that I would like to take out. The house was built in 1925 and as such has plaster walls. I am wondering what the best way to cut it out would be. I would be leery to use a sawzall due to the reciprocating motion and the cracking of plaster.

I have been told a skill saw, but that is too bulky to get into the areas I need to get into.

Since plaster is essentially a weak form of concrete I was thinking a masonry disc on an angle grinder to cut it out.

What are everyone opinions on this idea?

I'm open to ANY suggestions.

Thanks!!!

0TransAm0
12-08-2009, 07:41 PM
id just do the sawzall.. easy but can be messy. just take it slow.

95mustang302
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
see my problem with that is the possibility of ripping a piece of lathe out of the wall and destroying the plaster...

03Seville
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM
drill holes along the edge and use a chisel to knock off all the plaster along the edge. then sawzall to the rest of the wall.

jus an opinion... seems like it would work in theory.

Karps TA
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I was thinking you'd need to score the plaster where you don't want it to break. Then carefully go to town on it with a sawzall and BFH.

blk9660
12-08-2009, 08:24 PM
drill holes along the edge and use a chisel to knock off all the plaster along the edge. then sawzall to the rest of the wall.

jus an opinion... seems like it would work in theory.

This is how I did my first house........ I didnt drill holes first though, makes a BIG mess anyway you go at it............:D

hotshift13
12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
No easy way to do it without making a mess. I just cut out an outside wall on my plaster house for a bumpout style window. It was still a mess, use a fine tooth blade, one of the foot long ones and cut both of the sides at the same time, cutting it out in managable squares.

05caddyext
12-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Use a rotozip. Or a dremel multimax tool. Either can cut in all directions, wont get hung up on anything, and will cut through plaster like butter.