PDA

View Full Version : TruePower UCS Power Outlet With Built in USB Ports

Holeshot
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I will put one in every room. Its about time.

http://store.fastmac.com/contents/image.php?sizex=160&sizey=213.333333333&image[0]=images/products/usc_outlet.jpg&

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=458

Goat Roper
12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Nice find!

wrath
12-07-2009, 10:24 PM
That's retarded at best. Just what you need, more fawkin' always-on shitty transformers.

PureSound15
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
That's retarded at best. Just what you need, more fawkin' always-on shitty transformers.

My God you're an asshole. Rather than insulting in your all knowing douchbaggedry way, why not inform?

WhatsADSM
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM

You gotta read it

... Please also note that the USB ports only draw power when something is physically connected to the port. We didn't want a vampire port that continually sucks and wastes power when not in use so this was one of the features on the top of our priority list during the design phase ...

Irish
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM

wrath
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
It either:
Is always trying to communicate over the port (which won't work with shitty phones like most of Motorola's phones that don't follow the USB specification) to see if the device needs power.
Is using cable-sense. So if you leave a cable plugged in the transformer is always turning on and off (senses no power is being used so it turns back off, realizes that something is plugged in and turns back on, rinse, repeat).

To do it the right way it'd be cost-prohibitive. Since it's $10, or roughly what a decent GFCI costs, I bet it's just a POS inside. To put things in perspective, a Z-wave outlet (Z-wave is a mesh network similar to bluetooth but for device control) is around $30.

I'd like to know how smart this receptacle really is. I bet with a brutal inrush current (say a 3hp induction motor) all sorts of neat things happen.

And lastly, everyone here probably has a PC with a stack of USB ports.

WhatsADSM
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
It either:
Is always trying to communicate over the port (which won't work with shitty phones like most of Motorola's phones that don't follow the USB specification) to see if the device needs power.
Is using cable-sense. So if you leave a cable plugged in the transformer is always turning on and off (senses no power is being used so it turns back off, realizes that something is plugged in and turns back on, rinse, repeat).

To do it the right way it'd be cost-prohibitive. Since it's $10, or roughly what a decent GFCI costs, I bet it's just a POS inside. To put things in perspective, a Z-wave outlet (Z-wave is a mesh network similar to bluetooth but for device control) is around $30.

I'd like to know how smart this receptacle really is. I bet with a brutal inrush current (say a 3hp induction motor) all sorts of neat things happen.

And lastly, everyone here probably has a PC with a stack of USB ports.

You planning on running a 3-hp induction motor off of a USB port? :goof If you are talking about on the main AC... well then it probably acts just like any outlet where I have my iPod adapter plugged in and I choose to run some 20A! motor on the same outlet.

As for how it knows... I have no idea, but I agree it is probably something simple and mechanical which is good enough for probably 99% of the users here who don't have a cable hanging out of every single jack.

Goat Roper
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
These are perfect for an iPhone or iPod if the outlet is within a few feet of your night stand or end table. Just leave the cord plugged in and plug in when needed.

05caddyext
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I am not understanding the point of having one of those outlets. Im not trying to flame, im looking for reasons why someone would actually want that as a feature on an outlet. Looks like a neat idea, just dont know why you would need it. Let me know. Thanks.

PureSound15
12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I am not understanding the point of having one of those outlets. Im not trying to flame, im looking for reasons why someone would actually want that as a feature on an outlet. Looks like a neat idea, just dont know why you would need it. Let me know. Thanks.

I have a work phone and my iphone - both can be charged via USB. It would be great to be able to just plug in a usb cable into the wall rather than have multiple chargers or an outlet extension of some kind in every room.

Yooformula
12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
2 of my mp3 players charge via a usb cable it would be a nice to have something like that to use instead of leaving them all plugged into my pc downstairs.

Goat Roper
12-08-2009, 07:07 PM
We have three iPod Touches and an iPhone, all charge off of USB. Apple gets $29 for the one you plugin with just one USB outlet; http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Power-Adapter-iPod-White/dp/B0002ZAIMI

For those reasons, these outlets are a good deal.

wrath
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
You planning on running a 3-hp induction motor off of a USB port? :goof If you are talking about on the main AC... well then it probably acts just like any outlet where I have my iPod adapter plugged in and I choose to run some 20A! motor on the same outlet.

As for how it knows... I have no idea, but I agree it is probably something simple and mechanical which is good enough for probably 99% of the users here who don't have a cable hanging out of every single jack.

Ever wonder why your lights dim when you turn something on?

They make USB chargers that are cheap and the neat thing is that they're portable. And you don't need to have Decora-style wallplates to use 'em.

Neat idea and all, but not that neat.

WhatsADSM
12-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Ever wonder why your lights dim when you turn something on?

They make USB chargers that are cheap and the neat thing is that they're portable. And you don't need to have Decora-style wallplates to use 'em.

Neat idea and all, but not that neat.

I am fully aware of how electronics work. My point is just that it makes no difference it would act identically to a standalone adapter pulled into the outlet.

They really are the same thing. Only nice part is not having to worry about buying/hauling around those stupid adapters to convert the 120 to 5VDC.

But like I said I hear ya though. Just different strokes for different folks, I'm sure some people think they are stupid and some people think they are a god send.

juicedimpss
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I am fully aware of how electronics work.

we need proof of this before you can make a statement like this.
:rolf