PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Mr Twigbert
12-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks to Goat Roper for posting the Win 7 for $29 and a friend letting me use her .edu email I got Win 7 up and running..

All I can say is WOW! Very, Very smooth running.. I can't explain it but the rate that pages load now is incredible.. The net has NEVER seemed faster.. Just WoW..

94greenbandit
12-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Waiting for my wife to finish her class so that we can upgrade her laptop from 64bit Vista.

Anybody use the 64bit Windows 7 yet

Deggy
12-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Can anyone give me some details about Windows 7? Major differences, pros/cons, better than Vista? I am interested in upgrading my laptop.

pOrk
12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
WAAAAAY Better then vista, vista fucking BLOWS

BlackViper
12-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks to Goat Roper for posting the Win 7 for $29 and a friend letting me use her .edu email I got Win 7 up and running..

All I can say is WOW! Very, Very smooth running.. I can't explain it but the rate that pages load now is incredible.. The net has NEVER seemed faster.. Just WoW..

Windows 7 for $29! Where??

JBs92Lude
12-06-2009, 11:27 AM

If you are a current student, and have a student email account then you have the ability to purchase windows 7 for 29 dollars.

Goat Roper
12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Anybody use the 64bit Windows 7 yet

I loaded 64bit Professional 7 on the new PC I got from nd4spd. Came with Vista Home Premium, which at idle ate up 1.7gb of the 6gb of RAM. Loaded Win 7 over the top and it now idles at 900mb of RAM.

And yes, it is gobs faster.

Mr Twigbert
12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Can anyone give me some details about Windows 7? Major differences, pros/cons, better than Vista? I am interested in upgrading my laptop.

From what I have seen it's sweet as hell.. Little but cool features like when you click on 'My Computer' it shows a little graph showing how full your hard drive is and others like my external hard drive..

Surfing the net is sweet too.. With XP I would go to TMJ4's web site for the news and it would always take a few seconds to load (even though I am running a 3.2 GHZ processor, 3 GIGs of ram and on U-verse's good net speed). Now it loads in like instantly..

The over all appearance is nice too.. Top and bottom of of screen are see through and just looks futuristic..

Win 7 = :headbang

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41415

Goat Roper
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Well the pros have been stated, it isn't as much of a resource hog, which in general just leaves the entire experience so much better. Right out of the gate it recognizes all my accessories, save one, which are old 2wire USB wireless cards. Just a matter of waiting for the drivers is all.

Cons, none really, haven't been happier with an OS since Win98 SE came out.

Some reading;

http://www.hardcoreware.net/windows-7-vs-vista-performance-comparison/

A basic comparison

0lY0_yIQM8Y

BlackViper
12-06-2009, 12:20 PM
If you are a current student, and have a student email account then you have the ability to purchase windows 7 for 29 dollars.

Well damn...this doesn't help me:mad:

T-Bag
12-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Got my free copy from buying a computer a few months ago, I love windows 7.

Bandit, I'm on windows 7 64, runs just great!

lordairgtar
12-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I will get this. Vista is a resource hog

Yooformula
12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
vista, whats that? still running XP here..lol

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I put 32bit 7 on the wifes computer that previously had vista. Windows loads faster and honestly the best way I can describe it is it's like upgrading to a new cpu and adding more ram. Everything seems faster. Oh and her old PC didn't have much on it before either.

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
As far as performance goes, Vista, and 7 and the same. Only thing 7 does is it has DX 11 (and Vista is getting it soon) and it can be run on older computers (for net books).

If you think 7 is faster then Vista you are only telling yourself that. Don't believe me? Go look at any of the reviews that compare the two heads up and they will show them damn near identical.

If you want to learn more about computers go here..
http://www.overclock.net/

Myles
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
ahaha overclock.net... oh the joys of garbage sites.

Just so you guys know, vista = win7, win7 = vista. Same thing, only tweaks.

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
ahaha overclock.net... oh the joys of garbage sites.

Just so you guys know, vista = win7, win7 = vista. Same thing, only tweaks.

Garbage sites? It's one of the top forums, if not THE forum to go to for tweaking your computer.

And yes, I agree with Vista and 7 being the same. For anyone who doesn't think so go look at this...
http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=1

Myles
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
There is a difference between knowing what the fuck you are talking about and pretending. The userbase of that site are alot of the later.

I am still trying to figure out why people are paying for operating systems..

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
There is a difference between knowing what the fuck you are talking about and pretending. The userbase of that site are alot of the later.

I am still trying to figure out why people are paying for operating systems..

Please tell me that is your sarcastic internet voice.

Myles
12-06-2009, 05:44 PM
I am sorry, did I offend your little website or something?

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I am sorry, did I offend your little website or something?

We will agree to disagree on what forum is better, but what is important is spending money on Windows 7 at this pont is not worth it.

On a side note, what forum do you go to?

Myles
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't.

tomshardware is about the only place I go to for reviews. Otherwise when I need to research stuff I hit up the manufacture.

I have been in computers too long and since I do it for work I don't care to be involved in a forum about it. I know what I need to know and I don't like people who are stuck with being just hardware monkeys. If I want to have a conversation about computers I rather someone who is at my level of understanding and experience.

I know it sounds very conceded but I deal with too many "IT Pros" that don't know fucking shit except to trouble shoot a basic windows workstation.

JaMichaels
12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
How can anyone question this guys internet skills when he has the elite speedtest.net sig?

IMO, Windows 7, much better than Vista. They are no where near the same other than being made by Microsoft. You guys are posting biased links. For every link you posted theres an equal amont saying that Windows 7 is far better. It's all in what you chose to read.

Myles
12-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Hence the reason why forums are bullshit.

And since when does having a Gige connection to the net determine internet skills? You are probably one of those guys who falls in the "Thinks he knows what the fuck he is talking about" category.

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
ocforums.com

Best place period.

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't.

tomshardware is about the only place I go to for reviews. Otherwise when I need to research stuff I hit up the manufacture.

I have been in computers too long and since I do it for work I don't care to be involved in a forum about it. I know what I need to know and I don't like people who are stuck with being just hardware monkeys. If I want to have a conversation about computers I rather someone who is at my level of understanding and experience.

I know it sounds very conceded but I deal with too many "IT Pros" that don't know fucking shit except to trouble shoot a basic windows workstation.

I agree with you 100% on "IT Pros" I worked in computer hardware for many years before I got burned out on it. Everyone has a friend or a cousin who is "their IT guy" that can get free parts and fix everything. Made me want to punch everyone in the face.

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Oh ya neither of you sallys could own a rig like my old one:

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album229/IMG_2360.sized.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album86/owned.gif

Myles
12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
What makes matters worse is the asshats I talk to on a daily basis most likely make more money than me, and have no fucking idea what they are talking about. Makes me wonder what they did to scam these people into hiring them.

Myles
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Sweet, watercooling. What was that overclocked to, 200 mhz over? Fag.

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Go here...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=989658&page=40

I started you on page 40.

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Sweet, watercooling. What was that overclocked to, 200 mhz over? Fag.

75.4mhz yo I also use a 14.4k modem for maximum performance. :durr

Myles
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
75.4mhz yo I also use a 14.4k modem for maximum performance. :durr

Turbo button on a 386 does not count as overclocking.

JaMichaels
12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't know any more then any other "Non-educated" user.

What I do know, is YOU are saying that all these IT Pros are fags because they think they know more then all the other IT Pro fags, just categorizes yourself as a know it all IT Pro fag.

That's all I really wanted to point out.

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Turbo button on a 386 does not count as overclocking.

:rolf

Korndogg
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album86/owned.gif

surprised there's not a wing on that thing. :durr

Ricky Bobby
12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
surprised there's not a wing on that thing. :durr

hey mark that looks like urs and i seen ur wing its gay :rolf

Korndogg
12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
mine looks nothing like that and your a homo for looking at my "wing"

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 08:29 PM

T-Bag
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Garbage sites? It's one of the top forums, if not THE forum to go to for tweaking your computer.

And yes, I agree with Vista and 7 being the same. For anyone who doesn't think so go look at this...
http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=1

You linked gaming performance, which EVERY benchmark by EVERY website SPECIFICALLY states is no different between the two. Windows 7 runs better, and faster, period. Don't try to argue something that is absolutely true with millions backing the statement up.

Personally, I did not pay for this upgrade due to getting it free from buying a PC a few months back...but I certainly would pay for it...maybe not the full retail on it.

Ricky Bobby
12-06-2009, 09:22 PM
mine looks nothing like that and your a homo for looking at my "wing"

lol u only show ur guy friends u homo u need to seek help pronto

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
You linked gaming performance, which EVERY benchmark by EVERY website SPECIFICALLY states is no different between the two. Windows 7 runs better, and faster, period. Don't try to argue something that is absolutely true with millions backing the statement up.

Personally, I did not pay for this upgrade due to getting it free from buying a PC a few months back...but I certainly would pay for it...maybe not the full retail on it.

Please show me a real site that shows us how 7 is faster then Vista. Please, I beg of you. I want hard numbers.

T-Bag
12-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Please show me a real site that shows us how 7 is faster then Vista. Please, I beg of you. I want hard numbers.

Fucking look it up yourself, you're a big boy do your own fucking work. Why don't you install it instead of being a negative nancy about it? IT IS faster. I just upgraded from vista home premium to 7 home premium and it is WAY faster with the same shit on the computer. Millions of others will say the same thing. Its a much better OS PERIOD.

Quit trying to rage against the machine.

Neal Steffek
12-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Fucking look it up yourself, you're a big boy do your own fucking work. Why don't you install it instead of being a negative nancy about it? IT IS faster. I just upgraded from vista home premium to 7 home premium and it is WAY faster with the same shit on the computer. Millions of others will say the same thing. Its a much better OS PERIOD.

Quit trying to rage against the machine.

I showed it is not, and the other computer guy on here said it is not. Any time you reformat your hard drive and put a new OS on any computer it is going to be faster. What makes it faster for you? Internet surfling? Games? Video incodeing? Turning on and off? Guess what, give me win 7 after a year of use, and the same exact computer with a fresh install on win 98 and guess what one is going to be faster in half those test.

VroomPshhTsi
12-06-2009, 11:09 PM
OMG this turned into one of the biggest nerd bitchfests ever :rolf

lordairgtar
12-06-2009, 11:39 PM
OMG this turned into one of the biggest nerd bitchfests ever :rolf
truth:devil

GTSLOW
12-07-2009, 02:01 AM
I showed it is not, and the other computer guy on here said it is not. Any time you reformat your hard drive and put a new OS on any computer it is going to be faster. What makes it faster for you? Internet surfling? Games? Video incodeing? Turning on and off? Guess what, give me win 7 after a year of use, and the same exact computer with a fresh install on win 98 and guess what one is going to be faster in half those test.

Like I said. There's no way to argue with you until you try it yourself.

Win 7 is faster.

Neal Steffek
12-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Like I said. There's no way to argue with you until you try it yourself.

Win 7 is faster.

I say blonds and red heads are a better lay. you say no. We arguee. In the end, most people agree with me but it really doesnt matter. I am drunk. werd

T-Bag
12-07-2009, 06:28 AM

I didn't reformat my hard drive, I upgraded. EVERYTHING is faster besides gaming, which I notice no difference at all. Opening/closing applications is much faster, windows explorer is faster, alt-tabbing in and out of games is a lot faster, boot-up is a lot faster. Literally everything I do besides gaming is faster, and its not placebo.

You can throw all the numbers you want, when it comes down to it, pretty much every review that I've read and seen from REAL world experience (i.e. people I know running it) shows that Windows 7 is a very nice upgrade from Vista, and runs much smoother and faster. Not its not the holy grail, but it is what Vista SHOULD have been.

here you go, one google search which i was too tired to do last night : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354433,00.asp

Moparjim
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
How did you upgrade? I have Vista Home Premium, 32 bit, and it tells me I can't upgrade.

It tells me that I have to completely install 7, then I will have to reinstall all my software, games, etc and transfer all my files...

Thus, I plan to do just that over the Christmas holidays when I have some time.

Am I missing something, because I would really prefer to not have to go through all that work - I have a shitload of software and games I will have to reinstall, not to mention all my data/documents/etc.

T-Bag
12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
What version of 7 did you get? You can't upgrade vista home premium to pro. Or vista home basic to 7 gome premium.

I have another free copy (64 bit professional) that I can't use because of the fact I had vista home premium.

FoxStang
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
The clean install isn't as bad as it sounds, aside from backing my stuff up just incase, it only took 40 minutes. Besides the install puts all of your stuff in a folder called windows.old, not that I would count on it incase something went wrong but its there just in case. Btw, one thing I forgot to do was save my FF profiles, just a heads up for those of you yet to do a fresh install.

Btw windows 7 extended the battery life I get out of my laptop, nothing drastic, but even with manually resetting my custom profile I manage 20-25 minutes more of battery.

GTSLOW
12-08-2009, 12:16 AM
What version of 7 did you get? You can't upgrade vista home premium to pro. Or vista home basic to 7 gome premium.

I have another free copy (64 bit professional) that I can't use because of the fact I had vista home premium.

I'll take it :D :D :D

RanJer
12-08-2009, 12:20 AM
The clean install isn't as bad as it sounds, aside from backing my stuff up just incase, it only took 40 minutes. Besides the install puts all of your stuff in a folder called windows.old, not that I would count on it incase something went wrong but its there just in case. Btw, one thing I forgot to do was save my FF profiles, just a heads up for those of you yet to do a fresh install.

Btw windows 7 extended the battery life I get out of my laptop, nothing drastic, but even with manually resetting my custom profile I manage 20-25 minutes more of battery.

I backed up all my music, pictures, movies, etc onto 2 dvd discs before I did the fresh install. No worries, I'm back up with everything I had.

Regardless of what everyone says for/against. My lappy runs better and faster. For whatever reason, the fresh install of 7 did my comp very well.

Moparjim
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
The clean install won't take long I know. It's the re-installation of everything from Office, a dozen or so other utilities/programs, and a dozen or so games that I currently have on mine, plus backing up/moving all my documents and ummm jpegs etc lol that will take me an entire afternoon of feeding it CDs/DVDs probably.

94greenbandit
12-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I plan on doing a fresh install instead of upgrading from Vista

animal
12-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Lol this discussion is humorous. People getting all bent out of shape.

The diff between vista and 7 is nearly the same as the diff between 2k and xp (also 98 & ME ftr). Each is the same shit as it's predecessor except with minor improvements & eye candy. Might as well call 7 just a major service pack to vista heh... but don't take it to mean it's some new revolutionary idea or way of doing things.

Josepy
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Pretty much just another way for Big Daddy MS to make more money.

T-Bag
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I'll take it :D :D :D

I do not condone giving my free student software to others, that's against the law.

PM me your address so I can send you a christmas card

GTSLOW
12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I do not condone giving my free student software to others, that's against the law.

PM me your address so I can send you a christmas card

FoxStang
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
The clean install won't take long I know. It's the re-installation of everything from Office, a dozen or so other utilities/programs, and a dozen or so games that I currently have on mine, plus backing up/moving all my documents and ummm jpegs etc lol that will take me an entire afternoon of feeding it CDs/DVDs probably.

External HD's are dirt cheap now, I would consider investing in one, makes it allot easier than putting all that stuff on dvd's, not to mention all your stuff will be more easily backed up.

Yooformula
12-09-2009, 03:51 AM
External HD's are dirt cheap now, I would consider investing in one, makes it allot easier than putting all that stuff on dvd's, not to mention all your stuff will be more easily backed up.

ditto on this! I got my 500gig external hd for $75 back in may and they are cheaper now! I set it up to copy everything and let it run overnight and it was all done by morning. well worth the money, I probably should have bought the larger hd for only $25 more though.

Goat Roper
12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
External hard drives are fine but if you want true backup use Carbonite off site backups. You get burnt with one external drive failing you learn quickly that it is tougher to recognize that they are about to go bad.

Cryptic
12-09-2009, 10:15 AM
my shit is faster than your shit.
/thread

Carbonite is a nice product. Works well on the Windows 2003 server I maintain for a home business.

animal
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
External hard drives are fine but if you want true backup use Carbonite off site backups. You get burnt with one external drive failing you learn quickly that it is tougher to recognize that they are about to go bad.

Technically if it's a "true backup" situation, with a failure on the external backup HD you'd still have your original on the computer drive itself. That is assuming the two don't go bad at once. If you're using an external HD for "archive" then you're asking for problems if you keep only one copy of it. Hard to beat optical media for "archive". Cheap, more cumbersome, but can't mechanically fail on you. Or you could find some software to set up a raid1 volume to the external :)

Personally I don't need carbonite or anyone else keeping my data at their place where I have no control over who sees it. I'm more than capable of keeping it safe myself with a minimum of work. I've seen carbonite in action on a system. Felt like it was a data security problem waiting to happen. I guess for mp3's and pictures, who gives a shit tho.

FoxStang
12-10-2009, 02:10 AM

For 55 bucks a year I could buy two externals for the data I have every year. It's a good idea if you have lots of data, but for a college student like me, doesn't make much sense.

GTSLOW
12-12-2009, 12:45 AM
random thought
w00t just got my new rig together tonight :D

subliminal1284
12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Linux FTW

97z2801ss
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I got 7 with my student discount too and Tyler is right everything opens faster and closes faster I read this thread and thought maybe it was a placebo effect cuz its new but I guess not. and Tyler I got the ISO file too when u register I just burn that to a disc for a back up?

Goat Roper
12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes, burn that ISO as a backup

97z2801ss
12-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks goat Roaper