PDA

View Full Version : 2004 gt brake problem

animal
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Just did new rotors/pads on my 04 mustang gt cause it needed them and it had a front brake dragging. Got the job all finished, initially everything was fine but the second time i drove it after bedding the brakes in the front brakes are dragging again. Enough that you can feel it slow the car down when you push the clutch in. Not sure what to check from here. I relubed the sliders real good during the brake job but the dragging brake came back so that must not have been it? Any ideas? My knowledge of brakes is only basic. These are not ABS brakes.

Car Guy
12-05-2009, 04:03 PM

BOSS LX
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Just did new rotors/pads on my 04 mustang gt cause it needed them and it had a front brake dragging. Got the job all finished, initially everything was fine but the second time i drove it after bedding the brakes in the front brakes are dragging again. Enough that you can feel it slow the car down when you push the clutch in. Not sure what to check from here. I relubed the sliders real good during the brake job but the dragging brake came back so that must not have been it? Any ideas? My knowledge of brakes is only basic. These are not ABS brakes.

It's gotta be a sticky slider. Maybe take a file to take some of the paint off the ear of the pad.

animal
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Another note, one of the old pads on both sides was worn at an angle. Someone else mentioned it might be trying to re-wear that angle back into the new pad before it allows it to retract? Seems odd but I guess it would make sense?

Car Guy
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Another note, one of the old pads on both sides was worn at an angle. Someone else mentioned it might be trying to re-wear that angle back into the new pad before it allows it to retract? Seems odd but I guess it would make sense?

Something is hanging up then, is it driven year round...???

pashtrd
12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
collapsed hose? not allowing the fluid to return to the master

animal
12-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Something is hanging up then, is it driven year round...???

Yes

1320PNY
12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Does sound like the caliper is the culprit. Sounds like the piston is hanging up and not being able to return.

Reverend Cooper
12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
if the slide pin is rust free and the caliper moves back and forth freely,then remove the caliper and use a c-clamp or pliers to compress piston,does it move in all the way,or stop or stick? if so it needs a rebuild or a replacement. if the dpad is wearing on a angle it could also be the pad sticking in the holder,did you antisieze the pad ears and clean out the fit clips and lube them,If not that could be the culprit. I doubt it is a hose issue as harsh pad wear would then be even across the pad not on a angle.But as cars go anything is possible.

animal
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I just took apart, cleaned, and lubed up the sliders. Took it for a drive, and I swear my wheels feel like they're gonna melt. Would lubing up the surface where the pads are anchored to the caliper bracket even help? As soon as I take the caliper off, the pads can be taken out by hand without prying them ,etc. I don't think the pads are binding up at all neither in or out. I tried to test the pistons by pumping the brakes with the calipers off the rotors. Only the top piston on each caliper starts to extend. If I put a wood block to stop the top pistons, then the bottom ones will extend. I will say when recompressing those top pistons onboth calipers seem much easier to compress than the bottom ones when turning in the clamp, though not by much. If it needs calipers, so be it, but I just dont want to spend all the coin on them to find out that's not the problem.

Reverend Cooper
12-06-2009, 02:12 PM
i would bet it is a caliper issue

animal
12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Did new calipers and hoses and the dragging appears to have gone away. Going to keep an eye on it for some time to make sure. Is there anything one can do as regular maintenance to help calipers last more than the 70k these did? It's like almost 70k on the button. Odo reads 69948 lol

GTSLOW
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Good to hear. You went with some 4 pistons right? :D

animal
12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Good to hear. You went with some 4 pistons right? :D

Nah, factory replacement 2 piston remans. Daily driver and I can't do bigger brakes cause I want 15" snow tires. :thumbsup