PDA

View Full Version : surround sound peeps.

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 03:38 PM
OK Ive had this Panasonic system for a year now. (got it for x-mas last year)
ever since Ive hooked it up i get a slight buzzing sound from the speakers.. and i can't figure out why.. if i turn it way down to 1 or 2 you can really hear it. i have to turn it up over 20 to get the actual sound loud enough to cover up the "buzz" but its still there. and it annoying as hell!
everything is hooked up right. i have good speaker wire and all that.. any idea's on what it could be??

Ive put the rear in the front and vise versa and the left in the right and swapped speakers every which way and i STILL get the damn buzz...

am i SOL? or is there a fix?

TIA:thumbsup

mike

PureSound15
12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking it's your source or cables.

Is the audio source present no matter what you're using? Meaning - if you have an xbox through it, does it have the buzzing? If a cable box is running through it, does it have the sound?

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
ive got componit cables going to the cable box and a hdmi from the box to the tv... the tv is a HP 42" plasma..

lordairgtar
12-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Can you hook it up to a different TV? That will eliminate that as a source if you still have the buzz. Then look at your cables. Make sure they are sheilded and make sure you have no other source for the buzz near by. Sources could even be from your neighbor if you live in an apartment. Fans, motors, AC power supplies. Is there an equalizer in the set up? If so, cut all settings to the middle and just slightly cut or raise in small increments. Try not to have the EQ set at the "smile of death".

07ROUSHSTG3
12-04-2009, 04:06 PM
my guess is interference from something else in the room. my system picks up my light/ceiling fan switch. try turning shit on and off in the room with the system on. then maybe start disconnecting speakers one by one from the back and see if it stops?!?

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 04:56 PM
now its in our house.. it happened at the condo we moved from also..

lordairgtar.. nope i can't hook it up to a diff. tv.. i have one in the other room but it doesn't have a hdmi hook up and i don't have another set of component cables to swap out the hdmi..

turning on lights/fans and everything else in the room does nothing..

wrath
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
If you unplug everything from the receiver EXCEPT the speakers that ARE NOT powered (AKA powered subwoofer) and you turn it on, does it still make a hum?

Yooformula
12-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Try just using 1 audio source and unplug everything else. In other words, just use the tuner with nothing else plugged into the source spots and test it that way, then unplug the tuner and try just the cd player, etc. I got feedback from my tv's audio output port so maybe try that first. Even though the device isnt on, there might still be an issue.

05caddyext
12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I had this exact same situation with my system. You need to buy a thing called a "ground loop isolator." I garantee this will fix your problem.

wrath
12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I had this exact same situation with my system. You need to buy a thing called a "ground loop isolator." I garantee this will fix your problem.

Yeah, could be. That's what my test is trying to prove.

You don't necessarily need a isolation transformer. You just need to put all your equipment on the same leg of your electric service if this is the problem. It could also be something plugged into the house that is electrically noisy.

0TransAm0
12-06-2009, 06:52 PM
not sure if i did the "test" right but i left all the speakers pluged in and unplugged the componant cables(used just for the tv sound) and the buzz went away. then i put it to "radio" and plugged them back in.. had the "buzz" again.. unplugged the componants and MOST of the buzz went away but not all of it....

any idea's?

0TransAm0
12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
ok i messed with it again and i disconnected the yellow video cable (goes to the tv for dvd player) and the buzzing stoped.. so is my tv fucked? or do i just have to reconnect the video cable everytime i want to watch a dvd??

wrath
12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
If your DVD player and TV both have component video (red, green, blue RCAs) then you should use those. You can use a composite/stereo cable (yellow, red, white) if you don't have a component cable.

Anyway, try plugging your TV and DVD player into the same physical wall outlet via a power strip or receptacle splitter. If it goes away it's a ground loop.

0TransAm0
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
they are all in the same power strip. always have been..
edit: im using red/yellow/white i don't have the ones with blue/green.. could that be why??

on a side note

my tv is messing up now also started yesterday.. could be related or not i have no clue..

the sound every now and then it studders really bad. and the screen getts weird lines across it(pic is scrambling in spots) then it goes away.. its intermediate but as of yesterday it happens more and more..

so you guys think my tv is takeing a shit or just crappy time warner cable?? tv is a hd plasma about 3 1/2 years old. HP brand like the pc..