PDA

View Full Version : UFC overexposed?

T-Bag
12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
With thw recent backing out of fights/injuries/shitty main events, does anybody think the UFC is getting overexposed with the amount of (or lack of) drawing talent?

I feel the PPV's should only be ran once every other month...and a free show inbetween to push some of the lower carders. Look at the big talent left for main events...

A. Silva : minimal draw
Mir: Minimal draw
Penn: no one cares
GSP: moderate draw
Evans: no one cares (unless its against rampage)

This is calling for quite a few sad main events on paper...for the casual fan.

Rampage is coming back to finish his contract then he's gone. Couture is getting too damn old
No one gives a shit about any of the heavyweights unless its Lesnar vs anybody.

What are your thoughts?

07ROUSHSTG3
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
my thoughts are that if ufc doesn't start slowing down their pay-per-views and stop stretching themselves so thin, they will end up like boxing.

Exitspeed
12-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I agree that the events are too frequent. I remember 8/9 yeas ago they didn't feel so frequent. It was like every other month IIRC.

I admit I do enjoy seeing fights more often. But because they are so frequent I do tend to miss more then I see. Years ago I felt like I was able to watch every event.

They should change it to every other month and then the free Spike event in between with the up and commers.

I'd really hate to see the sport got the route that boxing did. Obviously more money is great for the fighters, but money corrupts. One of the things I've always loved about the sport is it feels like those guys just want to be out there, fighting. It wasn't so much the money as it was their love for the sport, their skills, the fans, and so forth. You didn't really hear about big paydays and people driving cars like R8's.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-04-2009, 02:04 PM
who cares about MMA right now. look what was just announced!! biggest fight EVER!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/10464558/Sources:-Pacquiao-Mayweather-fight-on-for-March

Exitspeed
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Boxing is dead to me.

Car Guy
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
The ONLY mistake the UFC is making as of late is showing too many fights too often. Like anything in life too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, moderation sustains solid growth! The UFC has grown at an incredible rate over the last few years and is still in the process of finding its 'fine line', which it hopefully will.....

UFC is a business and I'm sure the economic slowdown hasn't helped either. Every business rides the wave of supply/demand but more so in entertainment where it is not a necessity. If the people in charge of the UFC are smart they will adjust accordingly and have a successful business for years if not decades to come......

T-Bag
12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
who cares about MMA right now. look what was just announced!! biggest fight EVER!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/10464558/Sources:-Pacquiao-Mayweather-fight-on-for-March

Fuck boxing.

VroomPshhTsi
12-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Hell yeah! I've been waiting for this fight to be made since Mayweather came back. Another huge fight for him to over-hype then show why he's #1. Pacquiao is amazing but I still think Mayweather wins. No one has ever really touched Mayweather in his career. However, this is only his second fight back from retirement so as long as he didn't lose any speed/conditioning (by the time March comes around I doubt this will be a problem), I see Mayweather staying undefeated.

Yooformula
12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
yeah I too think that the UFC is a bit overexposed but I think its because of the tv show, video games and all the damm commericals. Too few fights are bad for the fighters and they tend to fight elsewhere to keep up their "in ring" skills and paychecks. I think 1 ppv a month is perfect with major fight cards being every other month.

T-Bag
12-04-2009, 07:01 PM
yeah I too think that the UFC is a bit overexposed but I think its because of the tv show, video games and all the damm commericals. Too few fights are bad for the fighters and they tend to fight elsewhere to keep up their "in ring" skills and paychecks. I think 1 ppv a month is perfect with major fight cards being every other month.

You're saying exactly what I'm saying...except you want all cards to be PPV, which means we have to pay for not-so-big cards. I think every other month should be a major fight ppv, with months in between a free show on spike or NBC (whenever that deal comes through)

Car Guy
12-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm with T-vag, a PPV event every other month with fight nights and so forth during the 'off' months is the way to go.....

Yooformula
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
You're saying exactly what I'm saying...except you want all cards to be PPV, which means we have to pay for not-so-big cards. I think every other month should be a major fight ppv, with months in between a free show on spike or NBC (whenever that deal comes through)

yeah I could see that too. monthly or bi-monthly free shows with non title fights and a title fight ever 4-6 months strictly ppv.