PDA

View Full Version : pool table people..

0TransAm0
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
ok so i have the chance to get a sweet ass table. was told it cost 3k new last year. i can get it FREE. all i have to do is take it out of there house..(people that are giving it to me are moving to the philippines..)
my only problem is that its a 3 piece slate 8ft table..
so is this something i could move myself? or is it better to leave it to the pro's?
i know it will have to be re-felted and set up once in my house but do i have to pay for somebody to move it for me as well???

TIA
mike

Exitspeed
12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
If you can take apart a car you can take apart a pool table. You could reassemble it too. Id have a pro do the slate and felt though.

0TransAm0
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
yeah i don't have a problem taking it apart. its just moving the slate. im in franksville and the table is in gurnee mills.. i would hate to have a piece chip or crack.. ive never moved a pool table before...

SLOWC5
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
We moved one in a 1500 chevy, it was a good amount of weight which made it ride nice and cushy over bumps. put a blanket between slabs and drive.

JEFF

Exitspeed
12-03-2009, 12:30 PM
The slate is pretty think. Just cushion it like ^he said and it should be fine.

Here's a good pic to give you an idea on what it will look like.
http://www.bestbilliard.com/resources/buildtable/images/slate2.gif

JOHN 86GT
12-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I bought a used 7ft Olhousan table a few years ago.

Master z's wanted around $500 to move and set up .

I took it apart and moved it myself . It was real easy to take apart.

I put everything in the wagon (ford escape) but had to use my trailer for the frame.

I had Master Z's come put it together and re felt it for under $250 ?

I just got the standard felt (in hunter green) I think the better felt (speed felt ? ) would have been another $100 plus.

Sounds like a killer deal

Exitspeed
12-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Go with Simonis if you're gonna re-felt a table like that.

GRAMPS SS
12-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Master Z's or Mc Dermott cue would be your best bet...i know a guy that did it for Mc Dermott when i worked there aloooooong time ago..still have cues never used...and one offs.....i can get in touch with him to see if he would do it for ya ....

0TransAm0
12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
hmm well i will go pick it up and move it to my house.. then pay somebody to re-felt it..

my only other concern i guess would be is taking it apart.. i take i DO NOT have to worry about the felt as that will all get thrown out??

i guess i should just ask where do you start?? to take a table apart?? i assume the legs come off. but what about the rest??

Car Guy
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Don't worry about the felt if you are having it re-felted. Also, take a bright flashlight with you and eye up the entire table; you'll see how it comes apart. Another smart thing to do is bring plastic bags that you can write on for all the hardware. It will save you time and a possible headache when putting it back together.....:)

kornholio788
12-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I used to install pool tables back in the day. As others said the old felt is trash. As it is glued down around the edges. The slate is going to be heavy. You are going to want another person. As far as taking it apart. It isn't hard at all. All tables are different obviously but usually just bolts under the bumpers. Alot of tables I would bolt all the bumpers together then with the other guy put it all on the table at once and then bolt it to the table after he felted the table. There are a couple different ways the pieces of slate are "put together". We always just used wax. Sorta hard to explain on here but simple when you see it done. So don't worry about "breaking the seam". The legs obviously come off. Take apart all the bumpers. And the slate. That is pretty much all that is to a table. Very simple once you really get it apart.

If you have any more questions I can help.

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Holy expinsive batman... Master Z's wants $499 to set up and re-felt!!!

any other places that will come to racine that i should call??

Exitspeed
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Check craigslist for people that sell and install felt.

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
game masters want $399 thats a little better...

JOHN 86GT
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Holy expinsive batman... Master Z's wants $499 to set up and re-felt!!!

any other places that will come to racine that i should call??

My parents had a guy in Racine do his table , I can try to find out his number .

Isn't there a billiard place in Kenosha? Maybe a little closer (cheaper)

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
My parents had a guy in Racine do his table , I can try to find out his number .

Isn't there a billiard place in Kenosha? Maybe a little closer (cheaper)

yeah thats game masters... they want 400...

if you can get me his number or any info.. like what they paid and how long ago. that would be sweet! :headbang

JOHN 86GT
12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
My dad is trying to find his name ....

There is (was?) a shop around Taylor ave and 16th street on the east side of the street. He went by the name "sailor on taylor" or something like that . He made custom cues . His son did my parents table on the side . I think they paid around $500 , 6-7 years ago but they had the really good felt put on and new leather pockets. His table is around 100 years old . The table is a tank !

0TransAm0
12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
www.billiardservicepros.com

he is my guy. just talked to him on the phone. got his number from a family member..

$260 total cost to me!! :thumbsup i love it.. :shades

now i just have to decide what color felt i want...

i like the burgandy,wine and camel color's.. if you go to the website you can see a pic of a table with every color on it..

GRAMPS SS
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
^^^^^plus tip ,your still over 300 bones...it's the holiday season..even though he does it for 260.00...you have to tip the guy....only right.....

Car Guy
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Which felt are you getting and what color is the table...??? The table's color will make all the difference.....