PDA

View Full Version : Gas Oven Repair

michelle
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Anybody handy around gas ovens? I have a Maytag Gemini Double-Oven Gas Range and the upper oven is no longer heating.

It was purchased in '03, so no warranty and Maytag said I would have to call a service technician to come out and look at it, especially since it isn't heating.

There was a recall for a similar model for the upper ovens, but not mine. Even that recall didn't have to deal with this issue directly.

With Christmas coming up, it would be kind of handy to have both ovens working. :goof

0TransAm0
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
buy a new one and don't look back... all you need is a gas leak in the house..

xxsn0blindxx
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I am no expert on the subject, but I did a bit of research when my oven was having problems. Like a car, you need to have fuel air and spark for ignition. In this case air is always present so that's not an issue. Verify if the valve is opening up and letting gas out, you can usually hear it or you can try manually igniting with a lighter. Next is to check for spark, in the case of an oven, this would be the igniter, which is more akin to a glow plug, just a piece of metal that gets hot and ignites the gas. If the igniter isn't working, verify it is getting voltage, same for the valve if it isn't opening. Doing a quick google search it looks like yours has electronic controls for the oven so if you aren't getting voltage to the igniter or valve then you may have a bad controller.

Korndogg
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
^^ most gas ranges have spark ignition.. not a "glow plug" style.

xxsn0blindxx
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
My bad, didn't know they used spark ignition now. Looks liek the Maytag Geminis use spark igniters.

michelle
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
There is no gas smell in the oven or outside of the oven when I punch in what temperature I want it to bake at. I don't hear or see any "spark" either. The lower oven is working just fine and sounds/acts normal. All 4 burners work fine too.

jbiscuit
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
like said earlier...either get a technician out or buy a new one. Not worth blowing the house up!