PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration Guys, I Need Your Help!

Junky Giorgio
11-30-2009, 11:48 AM
I recently got a Energy Drink fridge from a friend of my Moms for my man cave. One slight problem though, it does not get cold and blows warm air. It seems as though the copper line on the back of it has a leak because I found corrosion so it most likely is out of freon. Anyone know how to fix these? I would definitely pay cash since this would be a side job. Let me know! Thanks!

Here is a photo of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/junkgsx/32e9c93b.jpg

BoosTT
11-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I recently got a Energy Drink fridge from a friend of my Moms for my man cave. One slight problem though, it does not get cold and blows warm air. It seems as though the copper line on the back of it has a leak because I found corrosion so it most likely is out of freon. Anyone know how to fix these? I would definitely pay cash since this would be a side job. Let me know! Thanks!

Here is a photo of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/junkgsx/32e9c93b.jpg

I had the same problem. Mine was made by GE and accounding to the GE repair guy, they do NOT repair the mini's only replace them. They just shipped me a new one a few days later (it was under warranty still).

Junky Giorgio
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
This one is 2 years old and I doubt there is still a warranty on it.

hrsp
11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
i want to know where to get a case of the nos energy drink!!! tasty

Junky Giorgio
11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
i want to know where to get a case of the nos energy drink!!! tasty

My buddy's Factory Toyota Midget Race Team is sponsored by NOS Energy Drink, so I get it from him.

CarrotTop
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm sure you could ghetto mod it.

make something like this cut out bad section put t-fitting in then fill back up(prob have to run it get all air out kinda like when do cars coolant) Then put cap on and should be good i would have to say..

Im no expert but worth shot eh? Can tell im expert in MS paint LOL

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5016/46546760.th.png (http://img686.imageshack.us/i/46546760.png/)

Korndogg
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
You have to pull a vacuum to get the air out. You can't just bleed out air from a refrigeration system. (That is if you want it to work efficiently)

awsomeears
12-01-2009, 12:33 AM
I think these units don't even have service valves to work on ?

AKA throw away !!!

Most company s will not work on them because it will cost several Hundred dollars to fix them, or bench time. They would not fix it in your home but take it back to there shop.

What needs to be done is if there are no service valves a piercing valve will need to be installed, pressurize it with Nitrogen and find the leak. Fix leak then re pressurize it and make sure it holds air. Then pump it down and Weigh in the Freon ( not sure what type but the name plate should say ) an and see if it works.

As you can see this will take several hours.........

If you want maybe you can drop it off by my house and I'll putz with it and see what I can do

lilws6
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
^ was going to say something aong the line of this. Its pretty much the same as a cars a/c system just a different refrigerant i would assume

awsomeears
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Let me know as this would be new to me, good learning lesson :)

I promise I won't use the big hammer !!!!!!

But seriously let me know :)

Korndogg
12-01-2009, 03:20 PM
^^ LoL theres nothing to these things. I have worked on a couple of them. Some of them have valves and some dont.

I would do it too if I had my gauges available but they are on the job I'm at right now.

awsomeears
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
^ I'm going to call you the " ahh thats easy guy " ^

Anything pertaining to HVAC " ahh thats easy "

:)

Dogg what Refrigerant were the ones you worked on ?

Korndogg
12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
lol I don't say everything is easy. Just the little stuff like this is pretty much not too hard to handle. At least with my experience with them.

It was 134a.

Junky Giorgio
12-02-2009, 10:58 AM
The freon it uses is R134a, same as cars etc. So who wants to fix this for me? haha I want to fill this thing with Coors Light so I can enjoy BLUE MOUNTAINS!

awsomeears
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Pm sent ....