PDA

View Full Version : Shots fired in Caledonia

jimez1
11-28-2009, 05:46 PM
So I just got a scope for my .22 rifle. I was in the back pasture sighting it in when 3 squad cars showed up. Found out that shooting a rifle even a .22 is illeagl here. Now I can shoot a 12 gauge with a slug or bird shot all day long according to them but because it was a rifled caliber again nothing special but a plain old .22 I was against the ordanance. I guess I will have to bring out the Clay pigeons and start blasting away with the old 12 gauge, and really wake the neighbors. By the way no I did not get fined or anything taken away. The cops were very cool ans almost seemed annoyed that they had a complaint about what I was doing.

Reverend Cooper
11-28-2009, 05:54 PM
really? in the day of the internet you had no clue.lololol to bad you didnt get tazzed

jimez1
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I knew that a 30 30 Or a 30 06 would be bad but a .22? And also its not that I am in a crowded area. From where I stand there is nothing between me and Lake Michigan. So not shooting torwards a road or any other houses. just into a 2 foot diameter stump with woods and field all private alnd and then eventually Lake Michigan.

Coops Brother
11-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Did they say it was a local ordinance? On page 16 of the 2009 Deer hunting book, it says you cannot possess in shotgun only areas, any rimfire that is larger than .22. Since your .22 rimfire is not larger than .22, then I'd guess it is a local ordinace, or the cops didn't know the DNR guidelines.

Lash
11-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Did they say it was a local ordinance? On page 16 of the 2009 Deer hunting book, it says you cannot possess in shotgun only areas, any rimfire that is larger than .22. Since your .22 rimfire is not larger than .22, then I'd guess it is a local ordinace, or the cops didn't know the DNR guidelines.

I'm guessing this has nothing to do with hunting guidelines....but everything to do with plain 'ol city ordinance.

I dunno about the slugs though. Bird shot I can see.

jimez1
11-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Well It may have to do with city ordinance, but it is legal to hunt deer inside the village limits in Caledonia. So the slugs are perfectly legal. Even according the sergent that I spoke to.

flyin_blue_egg
11-28-2009, 09:25 PM

i'm pretty sure that .22 also falls into that range. I know .22 isn't technically larger then .22 but I think it still applies

Coops Brother
11-28-2009, 10:37 PM
i'm pretty sure that .22 also falls into that range. I know .22 isn't technically larger then .22 but I think it still applies

uhh, no.... larger than .22, means larger than .22 Nothing to do with technically, did they say .22 or somehere around that caliber, NO they say .22 period. Do you have a micrometer? .220" is smaller than .221" right? Ok, so then shooting anything LARGER than .22 would be,....what...technically larger than .22 :stare

That_Guy
11-29-2009, 07:13 AM
uhh, no.... larger than .22, means larger than .22 Nothing to do with technically, did they say .22 or somehere around that caliber, NO they say .22 period. Do you have a micrometer? .220" is smaller than .221" right? Ok, so then shooting anything LARGER than .22 would be,....what...technically larger than .22 :stare

thus if you have a .17 hmr you could shot all day.. ?:)

Reverend Cooper
11-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Right from the Caledonia ordinance section of their website.
Number
Title Ordinance
Number
Date of
Ordinance
11-2-1 Use and Discharge of Arms Regulated
11-2-2 Carrying Concealed Weapons Prohibited;
Certain Weapons Prohibited
11-2-3 Injury to Signs, Guide Boards, and Markers
11-2-4 Harassing or Obscene Telephone Calls
11-2-5 Sale and Discharge of Fireworks Restricted
11-2-6 Obstructing Streets and Sidewalks
Prohibited
11-2-7 Loitering Prohibited
11-2-8 Loud and Unnecessary Noise Prohibited
11-2-9 Disorderly Conduct
11-2-10 Possession of Controlled Substances
11-2-11 Unauthorized Presence on School Property
Prohibited
11-2-12 Failure to Obey Lawful Order
11-2-13 Truancy
11-2-14 Improper Use of 911 Emergency
Telephone System
11-2-15 Drug Paraphernalia
11-2-16 Sex Offender Residency Restrictions 2008-05 07/15/08
11-2-17 Prohibited Conduct of Designated Sex
Offender
2008-05 07/15/08
SEC. 11-2-1 USE AND DISCHARGE OF ARMS REGULATED.
(a) Definition. For purposes of this section, a "firearm" shall be defined as any gun, pistol,
rifle, air gun, or other device used to propel a missile in the form of a ball, bullet, slug,
shot, or BB pellet, whether the propelling force is gunpowder, explosives, compressed air,
mechanical action, or any other force.
(b) Prohibition on Use and Discharge of Firearms.
(1) No person shall discharge a firearm in the following locations:
a. Those areas bounded on the south by the Town boundary, on the west by
Wisconsin State Highway 31, on the north by Four Mile Road, on the east
by North Green Bay Road.
b. The south 824 feet of the northeast quarter and all of the southeast quarter of
Section 23, Range 22, east Town 4 north, being a part of the Town of
Caledonia, Racine County, State of Wisconsin.
(2) No person shall discharge a firearm which fires a single ball, bullet, or slug within
the following areas within the Town of Caledonia: All those areas within the Town
of Caledonia lying east and south of a line described as follows: Commencing at the
Sec. 11-2-1 Use and Discharge of Arms Regulated
Title 11, Chapter 2
-2-
junction of the Town’s south boundary line and a point lying due south of State
Trunk Highway 38 and County Trunk Highway K, thence north to the intersection
of State Trunk Highway 38 and County Trunk Highway K, thence northerly along
the centerline of State Trunk Highway 38 to the centerline of Four Mile Road,
thence easterly on the center line of Four Mile Road to the centerline of State Trunk
Highway 31, thence northerly on the centerline of State Trunk Highway 31 to the
centerline of Six Mile Road, thence easterly along the centerline of Six Mile Road
to the west line of the right--of-way of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad
Company, thence northerly on said west line of said right-of-way to the centerline
of Seven Mile Road, thence easterly on the centerline of Seven Mile Road extended
to Lake Michigan.
(3) No person shall discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow and/or shaft, within
five hundred (500) feet of any building or structure within the Town of Caledonia.
(4) No person shall enter or be upon lands which he neither owns nor is in lawful
possession or control, with a firearm in his possession without first having obtained
the written consent thereto from the owner or the person in lawful possession and
control of such lands. Any person having such written consent shall keep and
maintain such written consent on his person at all times while upon such lands for
the purpose of hunting or discharging firearms or with a firearm in his possession.
(c) Exceptions. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the discharge of firearms in
the following cases:
(1) By a public official in the lawful discharge of official duty.
(2) By a member of the Armed Forces of the United State or of the National Guard of
the State of Wisconsin while in the lawful discharge of official duties.
(3) By a person in the lawful defense of his person or property.
(4) By a person at an approved target range or legal game preserve.

link to website,I'm assuming this is where you are at.
http://www.caledoniawi.com/document_detail.aspx?document_id=745

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 09:04 AM
thus if you have a .17 hmr you could shot all day.. ?:)

Larger than .22 means just that, LARGER. .22 is not larger, it is .22
I think you should be able to shoot .22lr, or .17, there as long as you aren't in the prohibited areas they mention.
I'd call the desk sargent and ask him some questions, I think the responding officers got it wrong.
I think they are going off of the WI hunting regs. that prohibits possesing a rimfire larger than .22 during gun deer season, not the Cal. ord's

Now on a different note, per the DNR, an approved target range is one that is used solely for target practice. That's it, no fancy clubhouse or anything. Put up a 50 yard target, and a shooting bench, maybe rope it off, there ya go. Then you can sight in on the friday before opening day, and there is nothing they can do. As it is a rifle range.

Reverend Cooper
11-29-2009, 09:28 AM
you prolly need a building permit for that. And city ordinance trumps DNR rules. if he falls in the areas listed,which appears to be everywhere in and around Caledonia he is screwed. I also believe it is 500 feet from any building too. they basically have all ends covered with the ordinance.

this right here says it all. copied from ord.
(a) Definition. For purposes of this section, a "firearm" shall be defined as any gun, pistol,
rifle, air gun, or other device used to propel a missile in the form of a ball, bullet, slug,
shot, or BB pellet, whether the propelling force is gunpowder, explosives, compressed air,

THEY DO NOT CARE WHAT THE DNR SAYS. YOU WILL LOSE IF YOU TRY. RIFLE RANGE IN YOUR BACKYARD OR NOT.

Russ Jerome
11-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Now I can shoot a 12 gauge with a slug or bird shot all day long according to them but because it was a rifled caliber again nothing special but a plain old .22 I was against the ordanance.

So I can come over with my 3" semi loader slug gun, over 2000 ft/energy launching a nearly 500gr projectile that will lift a grown man off the ground but 36gr rimfire rounds less than 1/3rd the dimeter that tend to bounce off peoples skulls are illegal......I smell Obama in Caledonia!

Shotgun outing at Jimz!!!!!!

Reverend Cooper
11-29-2009, 09:32 AM
For hunting purposes yes in proper areas only. out of hunting season he will get in trouble with the locals.

Russ Jerome
11-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Legal:
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/aa-12.JPG
Illegal:
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/stepoutsidehuron22rifle1.gif
Legal:http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ithaca-TacticalSRT/DSC03152.jpg
Illegal:
http://www.shelleygrund.com/images/PADs/PAD57-22bullet.jpg
legal:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1293/537632993_683db3f049.jpg

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 11:00 AM
you prolly need a building permit for that. And city ordinance trumps DNR rules. if he falls in the areas listed,which appears to be everywhere in and around Caledonia he is screwed. I also believe it is 500 feet from any building too. they basically have all ends covered with the ordinance.

this right here says it all. copied from ord.

THEY DO NOT CARE WHAT THE DNR SAYS. YOU WILL LOSE IF YOU TRY. RIFLE RANGE IN YOUR BACKYARD OR NOT.

If you read the ord. what you are quoting is them defining what a firearm is, not defining it as illegal. The latter discription of specific locations are where it is illegal for you to use the defined firearm.
I quess what I meant was if you are outside of their "no shoot" zones then you can put in a range on your property and shoot whatever you want, whenever you want.

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 11:05 AM
I just don't see anything in the ord relating to an illegal caliber, rifled or otherwise. Just don't get it, I would be on the phone with the Sgt. on duty.

Lash
11-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Well It may have to do with city ordinance, but it is legal to hunt deer inside the village limits in Caledonia. So the slugs are perfectly legal. Even according the sergent that I spoke to.

The slugs are only leagal during hunting season.

Reverend Cooper
11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
either way as discussed,assuming he is in the city limits or range they describe in the ordinances he illegal,even if he can hunt,deer he was illegal per dnr cant use that caliber to hunt deer. If he was in a legal hunting area he was still illegal as he didnt have 50% blaze orange and a small game license. either way he is illegal,that is again assuming he is in the prescribed areas listed in the ordinances.

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Ok, here is the deal according to the DNR person I spoke with.

1. it is legal to be in possesion of a .22 rimfire, to small game hunt during
gun deer season
a. you must have 50% blaze orange on
b. you must have a small game license

2. it is legal to be in possesion of a .22 rimfire for target shooting
a. you must be on your own land, or
b. at an approved target shooting range

Now, my question to you is:

Are you in an area that Caledonia allows you to discharge a firearm for hunting? if yes then you could hunt squirrel with a .22 rimfire, and target shoot on your own property. As long as you are far enough away from houses. The person at the DNR told me that if you are target shooting on your land, you do not need an "approved" range.

Her statement to sum it was:

You can target shoot or hunt during gun deer season with a .22 rimfire,
as long as your local reg's permit it.

DNR Hotline 1-888-936-7463 prompt #3

Now assuming the cop was correct in saying you can shoot shotgun where you are, I assume you are in an area that you can legally discharge a firearm. I also don't see in the Caledonia reg's where a .22 rimfire is specifically illegal.

Reverend Cooper
11-29-2009, 04:22 PM
^ it says anything that shoots a ball bullet what not reread.that is the deffinition of firearm per the city,then above it states NO FIREARMS can be discharged,a 22 has a projectile or bullet so it would be covered in the description of a firearm.

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 05:31 PM
^ it says anything that shoots a ball bullet what not reread.that is the deffinition of firearm per the city,then above it states NO FIREARMS can be discharged,a 22 has a projectile or bullet so it would be covered in the description of a firearm.

Right you are, but no one knows if he is actually in the defined area of the town, where there is to be no discharge of a gun. Why would the cop say he could fire a shotgun if he was in that area? Makes no sense. Nowhere does the ord's state anything about suspending the laws for gun deer season:rolleyes: either. So where are you at in the town?

Lash
11-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Why would the cop say he could fire a shotgun if he was in that area?

Do you really need an answer for that question...lol?

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Ya know, I guess I shouldn't really give a crap. I am just trying to help sort something out. Piss on it, I won't bother anymore.

jimez1
11-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Got a little caught up today. Did not realize that the thread got this big. Anyway per the defined definitions of the boundries. It says a line running north from the centerline of six mile road along the railroad to the centerline of seven mile road. The railroad track is to the west side of my property and I am between six and seven mile road. Now that being said it appears to me that I am perfectly legal to discharge a firearm in my location. Unless of course that would interfere with the Racine County Law Enforcement gun range or The Racine County line gun club that are both my neighbors.

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Got a little caught up today. Did not realize that the thread got this big. Anyway per the defined definitions of the boundries. It says a line running north from the centerline of six mile road along the railroad to the centerline of seven mile road. The railroad track is to the west side of my property and I am between six and seven mile road. Now that being said it appears to me that I am perfectly legal to discharge a firearm in my location. Unless of course that would interfere with the Racine County Law Enforcement gun range or The Racine County line gun club that are both my neighbors.

Sounds like the cop got it wrong.

Reverend Cooper
11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
not necc. if racine county ordinance is more strict than caledonias the cop may be correct. you would need to reseach racine county's ordinance on it.

Coops Brother
11-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Racine Co has no ordinances pertaining to discharge/ possesion of a firearm.

jimez1
11-30-2009, 08:54 AM
So I guess all in all the basic idea that I get is this, and thanks to Russ Jerome to put it so easily recognizable in picture form. I was supposidly going against local ordinance because I shot a .22 "I was using too small a caliber weapon" Pelet gun bad, according to the ordinance rifled barrel projectile shoots from compressed gas. Cannon good, No rifling in the barrel. Glad to see that another law makes complete and total sense.

Lash
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Cannon good, No rifling in the barrel. Glad to see that another law makes complete and total sense.

There are rifled slug barrels. :goof

Coops Brother
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
he is outside of the area where it is illegal to discharge a firearm.
Caledonias firearm laws concerning discarge don't apply to him as he is outside "the area"
DNR says shooting a rimfire LARGER than .22 is illegal, it doesn't say .22 OR larger, which would include .22, it says LARGER than .22
The cop is wrong and I will put $100 on it, any takers? Bet me....

GTSLOW
11-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh snap!

Reverend Cooper
11-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I tell you what you go out and start shooting again with your .22 and tell the cop what my brother said and see what happens.Cuz I would.

jimez1
11-30-2009, 08:32 PM
According to the little map down at the Caledonia PD I am outside the boundries for the illegal discharge of the .22 However, as I intend to live here for a along time, and do not want the law on my bad side, or the little "plinker" Golden Boy Henry Repeated taken away and try to get it back and fines reversed and all that I think I will just leave the the shooting of it on the range of Shooters on Six Mile. First however I need to go check it out. I really do appreciate the commitment that Coops Brother and the Reverend have on the issue though. Trust me I will look you guys up if Ihave any questions about anything to do with guns. By the way Coops Bro, how long have you been a FFL?

Goat Roper
11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Like I told Coops Bro tonight on the phone, I will be happy to bring the 12 gauge I just bought from him down to legally piss your neighbors off.

jimez1
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Already done. earlier this evening I went out to the pasture and fired off a few rounds with the Huglu O/U. I don't think that he much cares. He hunts geese out there every year with his. Which is why I am suprised that he even called on me to begin with.

Coops Brother
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Already done. earlier this evening I went out to the pasture and fired off a few rounds with the Huglu O/U. I don't think that he much cares. He hunts geese out there every year with his. Which is why I am suprised that he even called on me to begin with.

Your neighbor read the "larger than .22" line wrong also.
See if he will bet me the $100, and since I will be in the area this weekend, perhaps I will bring my .22 down and come over for some target practice. Hopefully the cops show, there will be a lawyer on Caledonia's a** so fast, ohh so much fun.

No takers yet, huh?

Coops Brother
11-30-2009, 09:43 PM
By the way Coops Bro, how long have you been a FFL?

We've had the license since 03/2009

By the way if you are legal to shoot it, then the cops should be totally cool with it and not give you a problem.

Reverend Cooper
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Your neighbor read the "larger than .22" line wrong also.
See if he will bet me the $100, and since I will be in the area this weekend, perhaps I will bring my .22 down and come over for some target practice. Hopefully the cops show, there will be a lawyer on Caledonia's a** so fast, ohh so much fun.

No takers yet, huh?

go for it,cuz when they show some sort of amendment thats on the books and not online and you go to jail or get tazzed or both,I will laugh.

Reverend Cooper
11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
According to the little map down at the Caledonia PD I am outside the boundries for the illegal discharge of the .22 However, as I intend to live here for a along time, and do not want the law on my bad side, or the little "plinker" Golden Boy Henry Repeated taken away and try to get it back and fines reversed and all that I think I will just leave the the shooting of it on the range of Shooters on Six Mile. First however I need to go check it out. I really do appreciate the commitment that Coops Brother and the Reverend have on the issue though. Trust me I will look you guys up if Ihave any questions about anything to do with guns. By the way Coops Bro, how long have you been a FFL?

my simple thought on this is if its correct you should talk to the desk sargeant and tell him of the situation from last weekend,show him where you live and the dnr regs and ask wtf

Coops Brother
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
go for it,cuz when they show some sort of amendment thats on the books and not online and you go to jail or get tazzed or both,I will laugh.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, cuz Caledonia sat down and made a law that specifically targeted .22 LR (1400fps) making it illegal to shoot, but on the same ground makes it ok to shoot a .17 HMR (2400fps) oh, and by the way if you don't have a "legal .17 HMR" then get your 12 ga semi auto out, that's ok. Just don't you dare shoot that .22LR, no no don't even think about it!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Coops Brother
11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
So I just got a scope for my .22 rifle. I was in the back pasture sighting it in when 3 squad cars showed up. Found out that shooting a rifle even a .22 is illeagl here. Now I can shoot a 12 gauge with a slug or bird shot all day long according to them but because it was a rifled caliber again nothing special but a plain old .22 I was against the ordanance. I guess I will have to bring out the Clay pigeons and start blasting away with the old 12 gauge, and really wake the neighbors. By the way no I did not get fined or anything taken away. The cops were very cool ans almost seemed annoyed that they had a complaint about what I was doing.

We never did get to see a pic of the .22 you were using......;)

jimez1
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
It is just a Henry Repeating Arms "Golden Boy", that I won at a raffle. Nothing special, just a nice gun to have for the opossums when they get into the chicken coop. It really is a nice lever action gun. Brass breech and octagon barrel makes it look like it is old school at the same time.

Reverend Cooper
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, cuz Caledonia sat down and made a law that specifically targeted .22 LR (1400fps) making it illegal to shoot, but on the same ground makes it ok to shoot a .17 HMR (2400fps) oh, and by the way if you don't have a "legal .17 HMR" then get your 12 ga semi auto out, that's ok. Just don't you dare shoot that .22LR, no no don't even think about it!

like I said,go for it,put your money where your mouth is and do it.

Coops Brother
12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
like I said,go for it,put your money where your mouth is and do it.

I called Caledonia PD this morning and was told that there is an ordinance somewhere that prohibits rifle period.
She couldn't tell me the number and I can't see on their site.

Oh well, I was wrong, good thing I didn't take any bets on it or went down there to shoot.

Reverend Cooper
12-02-2009, 08:44 PM
^ whammy.

Coops Brother
12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
<----- admits when he's wrong

Reverend Cooper
12-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought I did too about the squirrel hunting to. your not going to find many if any towns or cities that will allow a rifle to be discharged legally

SSScottSS
12-03-2009, 01:52 AM
I called Caledonia PD this morning and was told that there is an ordinance somewhere that prohibits rifle period.
She couldn't tell me the number and I can't see on their site.

Oh well, I was wrong, good thing I didn't take any bets on it or went down there to shoot.

Not trying to stir the pot, but maybe she couldn't tell you and you can't see it on the site because it doesn't exist? Maybe it does, but it's odd that it would be that hard to find.

That_Guy
12-03-2009, 08:13 AM
It is just a Henry Repeating Arms "Golden Boy", that I won at a raffle. Nothing special, just a nice gun to have for the opossums when they get into the chicken coop. It really is a nice lever action gun. Brass breech and octagon barrel makes it look like it is old school at the same time.

those henry golden boy's are just plain beautiful rifles.

That_Guy
12-03-2009, 08:16 AM
<----- admits when he's wrong

i take it that means you cant shoot a shotgun with a rifled barrel or black powder... hmmm

jimez1
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Yes they are good looking guns. Anyway, the end result is that the officers were cool about everything. They could have fined me, I guess, but they did not. Anyway, at least I can still shoot the Huglu, in the back yard.

Coops Brother
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Not trying to stir the pot, but maybe she couldn't tell you and you can't see it on the site because it doesn't exist? Maybe it does, but it's odd that it would be that hard to find.

I concur, however I have stopped worrying about the issue, as it just don't matter. If Jim is happy with their answer, then so am I.

THE END.....

nismodave
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Like I told Coops Bro tonight on the phone, I will be happy to bring the 12 gauge I just bought from him down to legally piss your neighbors off.

I thought liberals didnt like guns?:goof

Goat Roper
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I thought liberals didnt like guns?:goof

Guns are one of the issues I am pretty conservative on. Immigration is the other biggy. Anyway, I used to shoot alot of trap years ago, going to start dong it again and get my boys involved.