PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Electric trailer winch

Memphis
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Looking for a winch for a car trailer. decent shape, able to pull a car or truck up fairly easily.

blk9660
11-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I just ran across one at WalMart of all places in the clearance shelf in the automotive dept a few months back when I was picking up oil/filters. W/out going out to look at it, Im pretty sure its a 2,500# ATV style- out the door for $45!!!

LIL EVO
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a 3500lb winch from harbor freight and it failed after i pulled one saturn on the trailer. It just clicks now.

PonyKiller87
11-24-2009, 03:07 PM
harbor frieght has a nice wireless one on sale for $50, I think its a 3000lb. Usualy there stuff like that has a 1 year warrenty and they don't ask questions as long as you have the recept.

Car Guy
11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Matt if you are going to use this winch on a regular basis buy a quality unit, it is money WELL spent. I have used many different brands of winches over the years and having a working winch when you need it most is beyond priceless. As LIL EVO found out the ones from Harbor freight are worthless unless you're pulling nothing heavier than an empty 14' aluminum fishing boat. I was 4 hours from home with a friend who just installed a new winch from HF on his trailer and it burned up before the car was completely loaded. We spent the ENITRE day loading the car the rest of the way by hand and it was a HUGE pain in the ass. I told him to buy something decent and he didn’t listen to me, needless to say his mind was forever changed after that day.....:durr

Electric winches are nice but don't forget about manual winches: they work great, are much cheaper, and will NEVER fail you. Yes it takes some muscle to operate but I'm sure one of your arms is used to being worked hard anyways....:goof

A B4C Z
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I belive this is the exact one we have on our trailer. Its pulled up well over 20 cars and trucks including silverado 1500 with a cap and jeep cherokee for the bigger stuff. Never let me down yet. Thought we went a little over kill at first but so dang happy we did becuase it works so good. Go to pick cars up and people always seem to be stunned that we are in and out with in 10 mins running or not. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/warn-3700pound-electric-winch-12-volt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414ab90dd5QQitemZ2 80426515925QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

wrath
11-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Put a 2" receiver on the front of your trailer. A winch on there all the time just subjects it to weather and peering eyes.

I've got the first generation Mile Marker 12000lb electric winch that I use. I've yet to stall it with two batteries.

I believe Blain's has a Superwinch 2,000lb winch on sale for $50. I doubt it has power out though.

http://trailer.wrath.com/20061017_batterycharger/01_S.jpg