PDA

View Full Version : Rent-a-shop.....

Car Guy
11-20-2009, 09:20 PM
My cousin who lives in AZ talked to me about this idea many years ago, what are your thoughts about it...???

http://ufixitcenter.com/

pashtrd
11-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I wish we had those around here.

brotherbenn83
11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
The liability of letting untrained people use hoists seems like it would be astronomically high.

Car Guy
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
The liability of letting untrained people use hoists seems like it would be astronomically high.

That is the first thought which popped into my brain.....

88Nightmare
11-20-2009, 10:11 PM

That is the first thought which popped into my brain.....

I thought the exact same thing. But its still a cool idea. Theres so many times I would love to have access to a lift for certain repairs... just to make it easier.

Justin, does your cousin own this shop? Insurance must be ungodly high, but the prices seem very reasonable.

Car Guy
11-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Justin, does your cousin own this shop?

No, he had the idea years ago but never went anywhere with it.....

88Nightmare
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
prices are cheap considering they supply EVERYTHING. A decent shop to work in, tools, lifts, air tools, and for a small fee, a welder....etc. They must be busy as hell if they are profiting

Car Guy
11-20-2009, 11:21 PM
I have a feeling it might be too good to be true.....

88Nightmare
11-20-2009, 11:39 PM
depending on the quality of tools, easily 50k to 100k in tools and equipment, not to mention utility bills, building lease (or mortgage), plus what I would imagine to be really high insurance. And you can rent a bay for only $12 an hour???

'91 notch
11-20-2009, 11:51 PM
If you worked on your car for 4 hours a day for a month it would cost $1200 for a month! What a deal! Thats only $14,400 for a year. And thats the low! Come on guys, there are guys and gals on this site that will help you out if you need it. Don't pay $10 an hour to work on your hobby.

88Nightmare
11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
i wouldnt use the place for a long term project. just quick stuff. brakes, suspension, exhaust work... just projects where I'd much rather use a lift then a floorjack

'91 notch
11-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I've been around guys that have built 6-7 sec race cars that don't have a lift. And they never had their car on a lift. Lifts are overrated for what you wanna do. I'm just trying to save you money. Just get higher jack stands.

mrz28M6
11-21-2009, 02:59 AM
they have the same concept on every army base! i think its only like 2 bucks an hour though. i used it all the time for oil changes and rotations and what not

GTSLOW
11-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Every Army base to include Korea has those. They are excellent. Although the one at Huachuca sucked compared to Irwins. Did my LT install on my T/A at one :D

Great idea :thumbsup Let the employees operate the heavy equipment NOT the person doing the work.

Turbo-Triumph
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
i MUCH rather have a lift, than higher jack stands.. regaurdless of job at hand.

Dont they make "idiot proof" lifts a company could use?

IMO you would have to bring your own tools, otherwise someone could just walk out with them, and you could have welders built into a wall, with the settings sticking out and really long stingers.. also coiled air lines in the roof...

its an awesome idea...... but to build something long-term, youde have to be there endlessly, and they'd have to charge flatrate monthly, or your ganna end up to broke to build the project....

actually, this is an awsome idea... if you keep the person to broke to buy parts, then they HAVE to keep renting.. :rolf

wrath
11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
There are thousands of these things in California. It's quite common for mechanics to run a shop out of a bay.

I think it's a bad idea to lend tools though. A 14x24 bay with plenty of power, a ventilator, plenty of air hookups, a built-in bench with replaceable boards, a small sing (hand size, so people don't use it for parts washing), and a lift is all you need.

Irish
11-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Karps TA
11-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Lifts are not overrated. Jackstands are bullshit and a PITA.

But I'd rather put together the money to have one at my house then pay to rent one.