PDA

View Full Version : Roofing nail guns..

0TransAm0
11-20-2009, 05:19 PM
in the summer/fall i will be doing the roof on my house. i was wondering if anybody had any leads on air nailers for the roof... or what brands are good and which to stay away from.. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on them but they need to last.. and with "black Friday" coming up I'm looking for sales..

i have never used one before so i do not know what to look for when buying one. i will be getting 2 of them.

also do you guys think that a 33 gal 150psi air compressor is enough to handle 2 guns at once? i was thinking of putting a "T" in the end and running 2 100' air hose's from that..

thanks for any input :thumbsup

Mike

Car Guy
11-20-2009, 05:22 PM
If you're only using them for your house rent them.....

Rocket Power
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM
also do you guys think that a 33 gal 150psi air compressor is enough to handle 2 guns at once? i was thinking of putting a "T" in the end and running 2 100' air hose's from that..

Mike
That's what I did. I also borrowed one gun and bought a harbor freight one for like $79, it was around the same as renting one for the time I needed it.

stenchmiester
11-20-2009, 05:54 PM
i have 3 guns i can most likely lend ya one

0TransAm0
11-20-2009, 09:05 PM
i would like to purchase a couple.. as i will be using them on my house and most likely a couple others..
will the cheapo harbor freight ones hold up? and are the nails for them available anywhere?

Rocket Power
11-20-2009, 10:59 PM
It held up for 1/2 my roof plus I borrowed it to a friend and it still worked. Uses the same coiled nails as the other one I borrowed.

jimez1
11-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I did a roof last year in St, Francis. I used only a six gallon compressor with two Bostich air guns running off a T. The compressor was more than enough to handle the two guns. Granted it was a roof on a Cape Cod and we were both new to the roofing thing. If you have two pros up there the six gallon may not be enough but for novice work it will do the trick. I also recommend going with the Bostich air nailers. You may pay a little more but it will pay off in the long run. You can always put them on Ebay when you are done with them as well.

hotshift13
11-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Hatachi? Spelling? They are the best, but expensive. your compresser is more than enough...

That_Guy
11-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Hatachi? Spelling? They are the best, but expensive. your compresser is more than enough...

ugh....
http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BOS%5FROOFING%5FNAILER%5FSTAP LER&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=RN46&SDesc=Coil+Roofing+Nailer

this is the nailer that we use. we have 3 of them they work great and parts are avalible everywhere. hatachi's are garbage. if buy a nailer get a pasload or a bostitch. reason why is there are service centers every where to get them worked on after you put 20k nails through them. DO NOT BUY FROM HOME DEPOT. go to neu's supply there is a quality difference between what you buy from a store like neu's and depot specially when it comes to power tools.

you get what you pay for. we bough a tompson dual chamber air compressor that keeps up with 2 guns and 100ft of hose. this compressor cost 500 dollars

Want_Notch
11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
your compressor will be fine.

Get Bostitch.....nail guns. I have 4 of them and never had a single issue with them

Silver350
11-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree with getting the Bostitch

wrath
11-21-2009, 02:48 PM
The Porter Cable and Milwaukee ones are what I've been watching because they're at the price point it makes more sense to buy them than to rent two for a week. Once my Dad decides whether he's going steel roof or to re-shingle is 11 year old 30-year-warranty roof next year I'll buy a couple. I'm not sure which to get. These won't be used enough to warrant a $300-$500 gun.

0TransAm0
11-21-2009, 07:23 PM
The Porter Cable and Milwaukee ones are what I've been watching because they're at the price point it makes more sense to buy them than to rent two for a week. Once my Dad decides whether he's going steel roof or to re-shingle is 11 year old 30-year-warranty roof next year I'll buy a couple. I'm not sure which to get. These won't be used enough to warrant a $300-$500 gun.

X2 i don't want to spend over $300

maybe in the spring or when it getts closer to the time i want to do it i will look at used ones.. or also look at the PC brand..