PDA

View Full Version : Ford announces development of all-new police interceptor

DynoTom
11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 13, 2009 – Ford Motor Company announced today it will produce an all-new purpose-built Police Interceptor specially designed and engineered to replace the Ford Crown Victoria law enforcement vehicle lineup in 2011.

The new Ford Police Interceptor is being developed in conjunction with Ford’s Police Advisory Board, which provided input during the past 14 months on key vehicle attributes, such as safety, performance, durability, driver convenience and comfort. The new Police Interceptor will be offered without interruption when production of the Ford Crown Victoria ends in late 2011.

“We have heard the repeated requests from the law enforcement community to continue uninterrupted support of the law enforcement community,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas. “Ford is answering the call with the new Police Interceptor – engineered and built in America.”

Ford – which currently controls approximately 75 percent of the police pursuit vehicle business in the U.S. – has invested significantly in designing the purpose-built new police and municipal vehicles to meet the needs of these crucial customers.

The new Police Interceptor is designed to provide municipalities with reduced ownership costs through improved fuel efficiency, quality and the kind of durability police departments nationwide have come to expect from Ford.

“Ford’s commitment to the law enforcement community produced the Crown Victoria, the benchmark police vehicle,” said Lt. Brian Moran, fleet manager, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and a member of Ford’s Police Advisory Board. “This commitment has continued, and Ford has been working closely with the Police Advisory Board on developing the new Police Interceptor. I am confident that the next-generation Ford police vehicle will meet the future needs of the law enforcement community and will set the new standard.”

Ford plans to reveal the new model and provide full vehicle specifications in the first quarter of 2010 – in time for law enforcement agencies, police equipment manufacturers and upfitters to develop a transition plan from the Crown Victoria to the new product.

Each year, Ford sells approximately 45,000 police vehicles, making the Blue Oval the nation’s largest provider of police and municipal vehicles.

“Ford long has supported our public servants with vehicles that work as hard as they do,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, Marketing, Sales and Service. “We intend to build on this legacy with a new generation of municipal and police vehicles that set even higher standards

Irish
11-19-2009, 10:38 PM

BOSS LX
11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I cannot wait to see it!

Thanks for a job well done P71 Panther! :headbang

Prince Valiant
11-19-2009, 11:34 PM
:pics

ask and you shall receive...

Presenting the all new FORD INTERCEPTOR:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l27EqZkutqQ/SukP1kywHnI/AAAAAAAAA94/oj4fZKCMeGo/s400/little+tikes+police+car.jpg

:D

Irish
11-19-2009, 11:43 PM

Prince Valiant
11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
My guess is that it'll be a taurus based car...

for a little while, I thought maybe they'd bring something from OZ...but the american made thing renders that less likely, though not impossible.

RanJer
11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
My guess is that it'll be a taurus based car...

for a little while, I thought maybe they'd bring something from OZ...but the american made thing renders that less likely, though not impossible.

Good guess.. considering that's posted on Edmunds.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/taurus/ford-police-interceptor-set-for-2011-debut.html

The Police Interceptor is expected to be based on the new Ford Taurus, as this is the only vehicle large enough in the current Ford fleet for such an application. The automaker said it will reveal the new police car and provide full vehicle specifications in the first quarter of 2010, such that law enforcement agencies, police equipment manufacturers and upfitters will have ample time to develop "a transition plan from the Crown Victoria to the new product.

Waver
11-20-2009, 09:29 AM
A sho baised cop car?

03CVLX
11-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Its almost gotta be Taurus based to have it be available as soon as Panther Production ends. I can't think of any other possible option. Cops are gonna miss their Rear wheel drive though. Not sure how well it will do.

Car Guy
11-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Cops are gonna miss their Rear wheel drive though. Not sure how well it will do.

AWD > RWD any day of the year.....:thumbsup

Prince Valiant
11-20-2009, 06:02 PM
AWD > RWD any day of the year.....:thumbsupAnd rear biased > than front biased every day.

Cops have never been big on AWD...it's been available in many platforms from trucks to cars, and they've only made marginal use of it when available.

03CVLX
11-20-2009, 06:57 PM
You also have to take into account the bean counters buying the fleet. Unless Ford can somehow put out an All wheel drive Ecoboost Taurus based PI for about the same thing Departments are paying for a Crown Vic, the bean counters will never spring for that extra stuff. Hell MPD won't even put the base am/fm stereo in their cars, they get a credit for the radio delete.

OxmanWI
11-20-2009, 10:52 PM
You would think law enforcement would want a FWD or AWD car for better handling and performance. Especially Wisconsin law enforcement would want something other than RWD with the crazy winters we have.

That_Guy
11-21-2009, 07:27 AM
more importantly..... why dont they put the sho engine in the mustang.

Russ Jerome
11-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Hard to believe they would use the SHO engine, municipalities never asked for the DOHC in the Crown Vics after all those years of production. The cool old Crown Vics looked pretty dogy next to the LT1 Caprices at GLD.

Why even call them "interceptors" when the DOHC motor sits in FWD towncars and Cobras :(

Rocket Power
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
FWD towncars???

DurtyKurty
11-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I think he meant continentals.