PDA

View Full Version : Owwww! from Techron

02hawk796
05-07-2004, 05:28 PM
The other day at AutoZone I noticed the Techron on the shelf for 4 or 5 dollars, instead of the $15-25 the dealers sell for. So I got a bottle for each of my rides, I figure it's good "spring maintenance."
Well, yesterday I finished off the October gas, then ran a gallon of 100+octane gas, then filled the tank with Mobil 93octane, then finished by topping off with Citgo 93octane with the bottle of Techron for the last 100 miles. The fresh gas did certainly add a kick in the pants for the day, compared to the previous few days. It was the 3rd day out with the Hawk this year, and I was able to adjust to the power diff and gearing (almost) from my V6 4x4 truck. This morn I finally remembered to check the tire pressure, which was 5psi low in each tire - ooops.
So I'm using the Hawk today to run errands, and I was too lazy to drop the top in between the short jaunts. Apparently, leaving that Techron sit in my fuel system overnight made a difference. Dang, it's a torquey wenchbag today! The tires squeal or chip at every roll from stop. Marv saw me take off once when I was trying to not sqeal (not successful). Yesterday it was very enjoyable, tires squealing, more-power-than-I'll-need driving. Today it's holy cow, gotta-learn-how-to-control-this-power on the street and the tires spin all the time. Yesterday I was able to get the handling and U-turns down, but today I tried a U-ey and smacked my head against the roof hard! I didn't know which hurt more, the head smackin' or the whiplash that preceeded it. Serves me right for driving with the top up!
Then I filled the tires back up to 30psi, and now the tires are more spin-happy on the cold road.
Also, today I didn't see the SES all day, can't remember the last time THAT happened. Plus the power is much smoother throughout the acceleration. Only problem is engine braking is much less effective now.

I don't think this improvement would have been as painfully obvious had my hp not gone out-of-control, so I figured I'd let you all know how well it works on your hibernated vehicles. There is no way for me to compare what it felt like today to whatever I can remember about it last Oct.

Well, at least I have all day tomorrow to re-learn how to drive/handle it with this power level and tire pressure.
I had never seen Techron at the store before, either I wasn't paying attention or it was always out.

BAD LS1
05-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah.... ive been running it for the past 2 years and been buying it from walmart for the same amount of time, i use the techron concentrate.

MoreTorque
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Techron is one of the safest fuel system cleaners and it works pretty well for being so mild. Good to see it showed some impressive results.

Give this a try and you will REALLY like your car: http://www.lubecontrol.com/id15.html