PDA

View Full Version : anybody order pizza from chicago?

0TransAm0
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm talking REAL Chicago deep dish pizza? or some nice BBQ brisket from down south?? I'm watching a show on TV about famous pizza places and this is one of them http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza

but $40 for 1-9 inch pizza :wooo

if you have ordered anything like this from any other place what was your experience and what from where did you order??

i prefer thin crust pizza(i think new york is big on thin crust) but didn't catch any places that they talked about on TV..

pOrk
11-17-2009, 07:15 PM
If you prefer thin crust, one of the top 5 Thin Crust Pizza joints in the NATION is located just outside of downtown Racine called Wells Brothers.

Karps TA
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
My Favorite thin crust is Maria's on Forest Home. Not sure if it's still open even, but god I love that pizza.

Prince Valiant
11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
I've had Lou Malnati's before...blows uno's out of the water, that's for sure. Gino's east doesn't stand a chance either. fwiw, I prefer New York style, then deep dish, then maybe thin crust...

Another favorite chicago place I like going to is portillo's (http://www.portillos.com/)....their hot dogs and italian beef's are out of this world good.

As far as some real good beef brisket, the best I've ever had is from a Texas grocery store called H-E-B (kind of like a wal-mart in some ways, but more food biased). I've got about 15lbs of it in the fridge...6lbs of Hickory smoked, 6lbs of Mesquite smoked, and 3 lbs of pecan wood smoked. I've been to a number of Texas BBQ places, including Rudy's (http://rudys.com/), Up in Smoke BBQ (~ hour south of Dallas), Fred Miller, and countless more (parents live in TX now), and none of the briskets I've had are as good as the pre-cooked H-E-B ones.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm a beef brisket guy. Love it...but there is a place down in Rose TX (~30 min east of waco...aka the middle of nowhere) where the guy does pulled pork that blows my mind. Tiny little resturaunt in the middle of no where, shares space with an antique dealer it's so small. But in the Waco, Kileen, Temple area, his pork is considered so far an away the best it's unreal. He cooks one day a week (tuesday, and is normally closed that day), and stays open until he sells out...which is usually by Friday. When I can, I'll usually buy 5lbs if I get there at the right time. But those are the kind of places I love...the locals favorite.

HITMAN
11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm talking REAL Chicago deep dish pizza? or some nice BBQ brisket from down south?? I'm watching a show on TV about famous pizza places and this is one of them http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza

but $40 for 1-9 inch pizza :wooo

if you have ordered anything like this from any other place what was your experience and what from where did you order??

i prefer thin crust pizza(i think new york is big on thin crust) but didn't catch any places that they talked about on TV..

Lou's 'za is awesome, but that price must be for rich retards that pay no attention to what they're spending. (* Edit* I see that that price includes shipping. What with the costs of shipping these days plus the packaging and dry ice, I suppose that's not too bad, but for the money I'd still rather just go down there and eat it fresh.) I've been to the one in Buffalo Grove and it was nowhere NEAR that expensive. Got Boost is the one that turned me on to that place, if he chimes in he can tell you what it really costs to eat there. I also know that they have a place near Gurnee Mills that you can pick up frozen pies at. I've had some of that as well, and it's probably the best frozen 'za I've eaten. :thumbsup

0TransAm0
11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
If you prefer thin crust, one of the top 5 Thin Crust Pizza joints in the NATION is located just outside of downtown Racine called Wells Brothers.

might have to check it out.. i can't believe ive never heard of this place befor. lived in racine all my life. and i go to la tapatia all the time..(great mexican food) but right down the road...

HITMAN
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I've had Lou Malnati's before...blows uno's out of the water, that's for sure. Gino's east doesn't stand a chance either. fwiw, I prefer New York style, then deep dish, then maybe thin crust...

Another favorite chicago place I like going to is portillo's (http://www.portillos.com/)....their hot dogs and italian beef's are out of this world good.

As far as some real good beef brisket, the best I've ever had is from a Texas grocery store called H-E-B (kind of like a wal-mart in some ways, but more food biased). I've got about 15lbs of it in the fridge...6lbs of Hickory smoked, 6lbs of Mesquite smoked, and 3 lbs of pecan wood smoked. I've been to a number of Texas BBQ places, including Rudy's (http://rudys.com/), Up in Smoke BBQ (~ hour south of Dallas), Fred Miller, and countless more (parents live in TX now), and none of the briskets I've had are as good as the pre-cooked H-E-B ones.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm a beef brisket guy. Love it...but there is a place down in Rose TX (~30 min east of waco...aka the middle of nowhere) where the guy does pulled pork that blows my mind. Tiny little resturaunt in the middle of no where, shares space with an antique dealer it's so small. But in the Waco, Kileen, Temple area, his pork is considered so far an away the best it's unreal. He cooks one day a week (tuesday, and is normally closed that day), and stays open until he sells out...which is usually by Friday. When I can, I'll usually buy 5lbs if I get there at the right time. But those are the kind of places I love...the locals favorite.

Oh, you fucking guys. Now I'm getting hungry. Pizza, Pasta and Q. Best three food groups on Earth... :drool: :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM

THANKS CRIS for the advise on TX BBQ.:thumbsup..I service 2 FedEx hubs in TX...might have to have one of the hub mgrs or admins send me some..as i'm having a hub mgr in Kansas city send me some BBQ as well...love my job that i can get food sent to me..AND ALL THEY WANT IS GOOD CHEESE AND BRATS IN RETURN...

Neal Steffek
11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Go to Brick 3 on old world 3rd street. Right next door to Suite and kiddy corner from Buckhead. Best Pizza around Milwaukee by far.

Larrygto
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
For 20 years I lived a couple blocks away from Malnati's, Good pizza!!!
Funny thing is when I lived there I hardly ever went, now I want it all the time?

70challenger452
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
For 20 years I lived a couple blocks away from Malnati's, Good pizza!!!
Funny thing is when I lived there I hardly ever went, now I want it all the time?

It's so good, one of my best friends lives in Gurnee so I make sure we order one every time I go down to visit him. Just sucks being in the UP right now, so far away from all that goodness.

FoxStang
11-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Hmmm, there's a Lou Malanati's nearby in about 3 different places, might have to check it out this weekend.

BOSS LX
11-18-2009, 08:11 AM

portillo's..:headbang

Exitspeed
11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Love Portillo's. Made a thread about it on here a couple months ago.

Also if you are looking for GOOD REAL BBQ there's a place called Smoque in Chicago. This place IS the real deal. It was on Diner Drive-ins and Dives. I've been there twice. When I go down to Chicago I try to stop at either Smoque or Portillo's.
http://www.smoquebbq.com/

Got Boost
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
If you like deep dish Lous is the best .... Buffalo Grove is the closest, 50 mins form Oak Creek.... If you want the second best Genos East .. They have one in Lake Geneva ,,not quite as far but still very good , way better than Unos...BTW Lous is pretty cheap ......They also have o Lous in Schaumberg close to the big mall, do some xmas shopping and get a pie....YUM YUM

Plum Crazy
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
might have to check it out.. i can't believe ive never heard of this place befor. lived in racine all my life. and i go to la tapatia all the time..(great mexican food) but right down the road...

Its in the hood, severely in the hood, dont leave anything in your car unattended. I think the best pizza in racine is DeRangos on 3mile, Pias' on Taylor, then Wells Bros.

PonyKiller87
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Its in the hood, severely in the hood, dont leave anything in your car unattended. I think the best pizza in racine is DeRangos on 3mile, Pias' on Taylor, then Wells Bros.

Yeah your not kidding, when I was there there were 2 cop cars there at all times, they were walking the lot keeping an eye on things.

Pizza kicks ass though. And they have some kind of deal where they will ship a frozen pizza on dry ice to where ever you want, then you just throw it in the oven.

pOrk
11-18-2009, 03:37 PM

DeRangos is good, but no where near as good as Wells Bros. Everytime I've been to Wells Bros there has been a police presence in the parking lot too

94greenbandit
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Portillos is great for their Italian Sausage with hot giardiniera.

I actually liked Rudys when I was in Lubbock. The moist brisket was was better than the lean.

Best beef rib I ever had was Daisy Mays in New York.

Lou Malnatis pizza rocks. I like both deep dish and thin crust. All depends what mood I am in. I will be in New York next week so I should be rocking out on some good NY pizza :banana

lordairgtar
11-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I like Ned's

HY35F2T
11-18-2009, 11:12 PM

Ha h-e-b i member going there when i was a kid.They really should make one up here.