PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fusion: Motor Trend COTY

Exitspeed
11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/12/ford-fusion-breaks-into-top-10-best-selling-vehicles-amid-best-y?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_autoblog

I'm a huge fan of this car. The first gen was a step in the right direction, but it ultimately missed the mark.

The second gen however hit the nail on the head.

Good for Ford.

Here's another article:
Ford Fusion breaks into Top 10 best-selling vehicles amid best year ever
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/12/ford-fusion-breaks-into-top-10-best-selling-vehicles-amid-best-y?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_autoblog

07ROUSHSTG3
11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
they are great cars. hybrids are cool as hell.

Irish
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Exitspeed
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah looks like they are about 3800 lbs. The hybrid though despite the weight is incredible. I mean 41 mpg out of a mid size sedan is awesome. The Camry in comparison is 33/34. WEAK.

johnny--2k
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Not to mention the Hybrid set a record at 1445.7 Miles on 1 tank of gas!!! :wooo

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10230024-48.html

Prince Valiant
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
This is what I said at a GM forum in a thread prognosticating about the MT COTY contenders and who'd win:

Fusion or Taurus will win it, with the edge going to the fusion. Points will be awarded for saying that it shows america is flat-out capable of building class leading cars or something or another.

Lacrosse? No way. Camaro? A snowball in hell has a better chance, though it does have a chance...but the politics and sensibilities of fuel efficiency and what not...not some niche market vehicle that serves few; MT will say we need a car that will save the world and the US. That's not the camaro.

Of the three they tested, the 2.5 manual trans seems most pleasing. Significantly lighter than the other two (~3300 vs the other 2's 3800+lbs), simple, relatively low cost with decent performance.

But honestly, it doesn't seem like much more than a solid car...hardly a world beater that reinvents a class of automobile, or even just a huge leap forward for the class.

Waver
11-17-2009, 02:51 PM
This is what I said at a GM forum in a thread prognosticating about the MT COTY contenders and who'd win:

Of the three they tested, the 2.5 manual trans seems most pleasing. Significantly lighter than the other two (~3300 vs the other 2's 3800+lbs), simple, relatively low cost with decent performance.

But honestly, it doesn't seem like much more than a solid car...hardly a world beater that reinvents a class of automobile, or even just a huge leap forward for the class.

I agree. This car was never meant to reinvent this automotive segment. However, in all areas, Ford improved its car to being better than its competitors. The Hybrid model did raise the bar for hybrids in its class, and it is the new standard that the rest have to follow

Exitspeed
11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
The LaCrosse is a damn fine vehicle though. Maybe not COTY, but it also proves america is flat out capable of building class leading cars.

The comparison tests with the ES I've read so far have been an easy victory over the old standby Lexus. I also think if anything it shows that GM is getting serious about building cars and Toyota has become complacent.

Car Guy
11-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm not surprised one bit; I've been a HUGE fan of the Fusion since day one......:headbang

If you think the Fusion is something to talk about now just wait until the EcoBoost becomes an option. If the `10 SHO Taurus weighs 4500 pounds and is breaking into the 12s with ease the Fusion weighing at least 500 pounds less will be one hell of a performer.....:burnout

Exitspeed
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm not surprised one bit; I've been a HUGE fan of the Fusion since day one......:headbang

If you think the Fusion is something to talk about now just wait until the EcoBoost becomes an option. If the `10 SHO Taurus weighs 4500 pounds and is breaking into the 12s with ease the Fusion weighing at least 500 pounds less will be one hell of a performer.....:burnout

Indeed that would be dope...unfortunately, Ford announced a couple weeks ago the EcoBoost will NOT make it into this gen Fusion. :(

Karps TA
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
When I was out looking at cars during the spring and summer, the Fusion was the most impressive car I drove based off of my preconcieved thoughts beforehand. I expected not much at all from the car. I was literally blown away at how much I enjoyed driving it. It seemed to me to be a great value and alot of car for the money. I just couldn't find one used with all the options I wanted at the time.

I'm happy to see it get some accolades. Although being COTY isn't exactly that much of an honor if you look at past cars that have won the award.

Car Guy
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Indeed that would be dope...unfortunately, Ford announced a couple weeks ago the EcoBoost will NOT make it into this gen Fusion. :(

I never said when.....:thumbsup

Exitspeed
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I never said when.....:thumbsup

I just really like the look of the current model. The EcoBoost in the current model would just put it over the top for me. Hopefully they don't fuck it up when they redesign it. But I have more faith in Ford now. We'll see.

xxsn0blindxx
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
The LaCrosse is a damn fine vehicle though. Maybe not COTY, but it also proves america is flat out capable of building class leading cars.

The comparison tests with the ES I've read so far have been an easy victory over the old standby Lexus. I also think if anything it shows that GM is getting serious about building cars and Toyota has become complacent.

For the past couple years GM has been talking about positioning Buick as a Lexus fighter and I always laughed at the idea. With the products coming out lately, I'm starting to change my mind.

Prince Valiant
11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Meh...beating a Lexus ES350 is exactly like beating an overpriced camry. I mean, I don't mean to imply that the Lacrosse is not a decent car...it is. But beating an ES 350 is nothing to write home about.

pOrk
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Bodywise I like the front end and the overall profile, the rear end kills it for me though. Ford and GM is kicking ass in the fuel mileage department these days

tbirddriver92
11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I would so love to have one of these cars in my possession!! Yee-haw, you should get to work on that for me lol:shades

Holeshot
11-17-2009, 08:04 PM
We had one as a rental when we were in Seattle. Great car excellent ride, mileage and comfort..I'd consider one.

DirtyMax
11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
We bought one for the wife in 06. She loves it and it's been worry free since day one. Filling it with gas and taking it oil changes are the only attention we have had to pay to the car.

SSDude
11-17-2009, 09:42 PM
We have a 07 4cyl manual and it gets 33hwy all the time. If they offered and made a manual trans that could handle the 6 cyl I'd be all over that.
Great handling car as well:thumbsup

DirtyMax
11-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, we have the 4cyl 5 speed as well. That's what she wanted.

nismodave
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Nice car.

I would prefer the Taurus, though.

xxtremeteam
11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes, we have the 4cyl 5 speed as well. That's what she wanted.

mine is the same setup but is a 07 sport with moon roof set out to buy a focus but really liked my fusion almost 60,000 trouble free miles just oil changes and gas oh and one tail light bulb

Exitspeed
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Meh...beating a Lexus ES350 is exactly like beating an overpriced camry. I mean, I don't mean to imply that the Lacrosse is not a decent car...it is. But beating an ES 350 is nothing to write home about.

In the sense that the ES is Lexus' best selling car and the standard for the segment it is impressive for GM to come in and hit a home run.

What it also does is really helps Buick move a little further away from the blue haired stigma. My wife, for example, is a typical consumer. But her demographic is the exact opposite of the typical Buick owner. Her preferences are usually based off of preconceived notions rather then doing actual research (that's what she has me for). She would never look twice at a Buick in the past. I showed her the LaCrosse and she actually loves it, inside and out. That feat alone has impressed me. :thumbsup Unfortunately for Buick and GM we're in the market for a mid size CUV and not a midsize sedan. The Enclave is too big.

DirtyMax
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
On the Buick thing... we had a loaded up Lucerne with the Northstar V8 for a week as a rental and loved that car. I would rock one in a heartbeat!

Karps TA
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
I've not driven a brand new Lacrosse. But I've driven a couple of them that are a year or 2 old on dealer trades, and they are the most boring, uninspired cars I've ever driven, not named Camry. Interior, exterior, you name it. There actually should be a law preventing anyone under the age of 70 to own one.

Exitspeed
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I've not driven a brand new Lacrosse. But I've driven a couple of them that are a year or 2 old on dealer trades, and they are the most boring, uninspired cars I've ever driven, not named Camry. Interior, exterior, you name it. There actually should be a law preventing anyone under the age of 70 to own one.

It's a brand new car. You drove the old one.

You drove this boring pile of shit.
http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide2007/photos/2007/Buick/LaCrosse/Sedan/2007_Buick_Lacrosse_ext_1.jpg

This is the new one! HOT. Rumor has it there will be a performance version too.
http://www.desktopcar.net/wallpaper/39789-2/Buick_LaCrosse_2010_06.jpg

it's like comparing the previous gen Malibu to the current one. NIGHT and DAY.

Karps TA
11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
I hope so. But I also remember GM telling us that when the LaCrosse and Lucerne replaced the Century and Lesabre. Those were suppossed to show Buick in a whole new light. All they did was make the old people angry that were buying those cars that they changed the name.

Exitspeed
11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
I hope so. But I also remember GM telling us that when the LaCrosse and Lucerne replaced the Century and Lesabre. Those were suppossed to show Buick in a whole new light. All they did was make the old people angry that were buying those cars that they changed the name.

This is NOT the case with the new LaCrosse. Go read some reviews. People are raving and it's turning into sales. GM HAD to ramp up production to meet the demand.

Karps TA
11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope so. I've only seen the outside of one at my mom's dealership. Maybe I'll have to test drive one next time I stop there.

I liked the Malibu alot until I saw the sticker. A loaded up one was the same price as an Impala SS with the V8.