PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Wireless???

URLOZIN
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Anybody use them or know someone that does? I heard them advertising unlimited talk and text for $25 per month. That sounds damn good, because I'm paying almost $100 a month through at&t. What have you guys heard about them good or bad?
I don't travel much, just between Janesville and Beloit mostly.

http://www.mycricket.com/?CMP=KNC-Google08&gclid=CKqK15mQjJ4CFSENDQodngLUow

pOrk
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Gotta go into the ghetto to get reviews, those are the only people who use cricket. I heard the commercial as well, thats cheap.

pashtrd
11-14-2009, 11:36 PM
a guy i work with has it. terrible coverage, forget about using it in a steel building, we joke that someday his cricket will grow up to become a grasshopper. Junk, stay away.

MoCkiN U
11-15-2009, 12:00 AM
any cell phone that takes over old gas stations and makes them cell phone retail stores and paints the pumps to match their colors isnt even worth walking into. Coverage is just bad bad bad as already stated.

03CVLX
11-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Well, I will review it from the flipside... As a 911 operator we totally cringe every single time Cricket wireless shows up on the tower information. It is by far the worst quality signal we deal with on a daily basis. Most times the emergency calls are dropped, if we are lucky we at least got an address from the caller. I once took a 911 call from a cricket phone, the tower address showed off of 29th & Galena. It turned out that the tower the phone was using was on the roof of the very apartment building we needed to respond too. The call was still dropped. I would stay away.

GRAMPS SS
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Gotta go into the ghetto to get reviews, those are the only people who use cricket. I heard the commercial as well, thats cheap.

now now eric.....i use them for my lap top service.not a single prob with it so far and it been since june.....and i'm not in the ghetto....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

70 cutlass 442
11-15-2009, 03:18 AM
It turned out that the tower the phone was using was on the roof of the very apartment building we needed to respond too. The call was still dropped. I would stay away.

Thats horrible, I know they use directional panel antennas that arn't really to efficitive straight down, but thats just plain garbage.

UnderPSI
11-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Thats horrible, I know they use directional panel antennas that arn't really to efficitive straight down, but thats just plain garbage.

All cell phone companies use directional panel antennas. I work for WE Energies and install cell antennas for companies on top of our transmission towers besides doing regular line work.

Cricket uses space on other peoples antennas and the people they rent from have the right to drop the cricket calls during peak times to free up space. Not so good if you use cricket.

URLOZIN
11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the info, I was kinda thinking it was too good to be true.

mrz28M6
11-15-2009, 10:49 AM
i had tried it a while ago because of the cheap price and like everyone said garbage! i went up to green bay and by the time i hit sheboygan there was no signal once so ever! get what ya pay for i guess

70 cutlass 442
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
All cell phone companies use directional panel antennas. I work for WE Energies and install cell antennas for companies on top of our transmission towers besides doing regular line work.

Cricket uses space on other peoples antennas and the people they rent from have the right to drop the cricket calls during peak times to free up space. Not so good if you use cricket.

I understand about all cell carrieers using a 3 panel triagle design for their cell sites, but I was more amazed at how "directional" thoes really are if they dropped a call that was directly beneth it!!! And is it common for cell carriers to "share" their equipment and drop other users at peak times?

wrath
11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Cricket is like MetroPCS (used to it from Detroit) and is pretty fledgling and only works in certain areas. They're basically like what cellphones were 15 years ago.

Got Boost
11-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Anybody use them or know someone that does? I heard them advertising unlimited talk and text for $25 per month. That sounds damn good, because I'm paying almost $100 a month through at&t. What have you guys heard about them good or bad?
I don't travel much, just between Janesville and Beloit mostly.

http://www.mycricket.com/?CMP=KNC-Google08&gclid=CKqK15mQjJ4CFSENDQodngLUow
I know some people who have Boost, 50 bux a month unlimited everything (talk test Internet and Push to Talk) and I believe they use Sprint...Seems like Criket is failing thats why there giving away airtime

That_Guy
11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
you want cheap get t-mobile i pay 49 dollars a month for unlimited minutes. that doesn't include my texting/3g package though

70 cutlass 442
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I know some people who have Boost, 50 bux a month unlimited everything (talk test Internet and Push to Talk) and I believe they use Sprint...Seems like Criket is failing thats why there giving away airtime

Boost is on the nextel network wich is still iDEN, You cant roam with Boost like you would a normal TDMA or GSM network, I have had Nextel for almost 4 years now and they are slowly improving the Iden part of it. In the city it works great, and pretty much most of waukesha county where i am it works pretty good. What i liked about it is I was in the basement of waukesha memorial and still had full bars while no one else even had service..... But I would look at the coverage maps and make sure it will work where you want it to. I pay $75 for unlimited everything on my blackberry.

UnderPSI
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I understand about all cell carrieers using a 3 panel triagle design for their cell sites, but I was more amazed at how "directional" thoes really are if they dropped a call that was directly beneth it!!! And is it common for cell carriers to "share" their equipment and drop other users at peak times?

Yea, the worst signal you can get is under a tower. The antennas are set at 90 degrees and they have a electrical down tilt of up to 6 degrees that can be adjusted from the controls. Most companies don't share antenna space especially now with the volume of calls being made. I will tell you that it is almost free for the cell companies to give you data plans, they can piggyback the info on calls to send it. I guess it's one of their biggest money makers.

CobaltSSTuner
11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
cricket is horrible, had it for a week and took it back. You can't get reception long enough to take advantage of the unlimited minutes. Reception was sooo bad I couldn't send freakin text messages