PDA

View Full Version : odd sound at start up

Yeehaw
11-13-2009, 09:23 PM
have talked to a few International mechanics and such and nobody can answer it yet, only does it right after i start the truck and its been sitting for more then an hr. Has done it since i put my intake in too, truck runs fine other wise and doesnt miss a beat, just curious?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/sriddccrocks/th_P1010643.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/sriddccrocks/?action=view&current=P1010643.flv)

RanJer
11-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Should mention that it sucked the rain caps down too...

Monstr913
11-14-2009, 01:29 AM
the hissing sound? its just ur turbo, u'll notice more turbo noise when driving too from an intake upgrade...it will only do it when its "cold"...i believe its just releasing the pressure, chris will tell u what it is, he knows all lol.

RanJer
11-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah it would start.. run for a sec.. then suck the rain caps down like it was doing some weird vacuum thing...

DynoTom
11-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Mine does it A LOT when it's real cold out....Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV). And it sounds like it is working properly. It closes off some exhaust, puts a load on the motor, and help the diesel warm up.

Yeehaw
11-14-2009, 12:26 PM
im just confused on why it only did it with my intake in....and it did it all summer

DynoTom
11-14-2009, 09:15 PM
im just confused on why it only did it with my intake in....and it did it all summer

Mine only starting making the sound when I installed a intake pipe and filter , I'm sure it was always doing it just that I could never hear it before with the stock closed box filter set up...I thought guys on thedieselstop.com told me that it only goes to that function when it's below a certain temp.....

Monstr913
11-15-2009, 12:08 AM
or could be cuz ur sucking in more cold air now, which might trip a air temp sensor and make ebpv work harder, not to sure

Yeehaw
11-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Mine only starting making the sound when I installed a intake pipe and filter , I'm sure it was always doing it just that I could never hear it before with the stock closed box filter set up...I thought guys on thedieselstop.com told me that it only goes to that function when it's below a certain temp.....

yea it should only engage when the truck is really cold, which is usually under 40 degrees from what i hear and have noticed with the truck but usually will do it when you try to accelerate real hard then it shuts it and keeps the exhaust back and warms the engine faster....but why does this only do it at start up

SmokinRAM114
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor (EBP)
The Exhaust Back-Pressure (EBP) sensor measures pressure in the right exhaust manifold and is located next to the oil reservoir. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back pressure control system. The EBP sensor is also used for diagnosis of the turbocharger. Exhaust back-pressure is controlled to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 45° F (7° C) and engine oil temperature is below 167° F (75° C) during low load, low speed operating conditions. An open or short in the EBP sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM.

DoubleAron
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor (EBP)
The Exhaust Back-Pressure (EBP) sensor measures pressure in the right exhaust manifold and is located next to the oil reservoir. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back pressure control system. The EBP sensor is also used for diagnosis of the turbocharger. Exhaust back-pressure is controlled to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 45° F (7° C) and engine oil temperature is below 167° F (75° C) during low load, low speed operating conditions. An open or short in the EBP sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM.

And you copied and pasted that from....

Monstr913
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
copy and pasted from his mind, lol hes the deezel god

DoubleAron
11-16-2009, 08:04 PM
You know those straight brim hat wearing bastards don't talk like that.:goof

Anakonda69
11-16-2009, 08:33 PM
ouch straight brim wearing. lol

Yeehaw
11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
haha...its a pretty good copy and paste...and i knew that much just never did that noise before i put the intake on it

SmokinRAM114
11-16-2009, 09:36 PM
yup copy and paste! it might be inconjuction with the IAT sensor in the intake tube, the new cia might have made it more responsive. - thats not copy and paste beeotch

ps aaron sell me your truck :) seriously!

Yeehaw
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
yup copy and paste! it might be inconjuction with the IAT sensor in the intake tube, the new cia might have made it more responsive. - thats not copy and paste beeotch

ps aaron sell me your truck :) seriously!

kinda what i figured since its half in the intake box and duct taped in:rolf

Russ Jerome
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
have talked to a few International mechanics and such and nobody can answer it yet,

Those were not International mechanics, if they were they would have known exactly what the noise after working on Buss' for anything more than a few months.

Yeehaw
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Those were not International mechanics, if they were they would have known exactly what the noise after working on Buss' for anything more than a few months.

two lakeside employees lol....and like i said they never listened to the truck just by how i was explaining it

88Nightmare
12-20-2009, 07:38 PM
my neighbors rock stock 1999 powerstroke does it very loudly. His would even do it on a cold start when its 50-60 degrees outside in the morning. sometimes even when its warmer out. seems normal to me.

Russ Jerome
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I just had another at work today, 444e (7.3 to you) come in with the newer style manifold up pipes, bellows style with stainless MLS gaskets. When the "warmup" valve was closing on the tubines outlet side it would cause this crazy high pitch whistle due to the MLS gasket acting like a reed valve, pretty cool sound if you could manage to make it happen at will under load :)