PDA

View Full Version : First firings with the packers ! Heads are rollin !

DynoTom
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Good to see a part-time maintenance worker gone ! He had to be the biggest reason they suck !:goof

Ex-Packers worker: I love the Packers
By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Nov. 13, 2009 1:30 p.m.

The part-time maintenance worker who was fired by the Green Bay Packers, apparently for an offhand comment he directed to head coach Mike McCarthy just days before the Packers-Minnesota Vikings game, said Friday that he still loved the franchise.

"I love the Packers," said Mike Wood. "I love Coach. But this has been the day from hell."

Wood was reacting to the media firestorm that erupted after a Journal Sentinel story detailed an incident between Wood and McCarthy. Wood said that on Oct. 29, he was in a Lambeau Field tunnel near McCarthy when he said he yelled to the coach, "Hey Coach, let's get the boys ready to kick some butt this weekend."

Wood said he was later told McCarthy thought Wood said something like "don't lay an egg" in the game.

On Friday, McCarthy told reporters that he did have a conversation with Wood and later inquired about Wood's name to a supervisor, but denied any involvement in Wood's firing.

"He made a comment to me, I made a comment to him, it's not the worst thing that's been said, but I would not say it to a fellow employee," McCarthy said. "So that's as far as I want to go with it."

Asked if he had anything to do with Wood's firing, McCarthy said "absolutely not."

McCarthy would not reveal what Wood said when asked directly about it.

"Like I said, it's not the worst thing that's been said but I wouldn't say it to a fellow employee," McCarthy said.

Wood stuck to his story on Friday.

"I wish Coach McCarthy the best," he said. "But Mike McCarthy is the head coach. People will believe him before they believe me."

Wood said he had been inundated by media since the story was published. Wood has a full-time job with the City of Green Bay's Department of Public Works.

"It's been hard trying to do my job today. I just want the day to end," he said.

Asked if the Packers had contacted him on Friday, Wood said no.

"I have no interest in going back," he said. "I just want my paycheck. Then I'll watch the games on television."

A Packers' spokesman said Friday that Wood's supervisors had determined that Wood had made an inappropriate remark.

Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

badass88gt
11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm sure their performance this weekend will reflect this franchise-changing decision. It's all smooth sailing from here now that this cancer has been removed.

Its nice to finally see them acting like a top tier football team, willing to make the tough decisions for the good of the team.

GO PACK!!!!