PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for public hunting land, washington county

u_say_go
11-13-2009, 09:41 AM
The past 2 years I've hunted the Jackson Marsh or Kettle Moraine northern unit, but almost never see deer.
Any suggestions for productive public hunting grounds around West Bend? Taking my boy hunting for the first time this year, and I'd love for him to have a successful hunt.
thanks

Russ Jerome
11-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I hit the Jackson Marsh now and again when I feel the need to kill something after work, never hunted deer there but I've seen plenty.

Google- maps- Jackson Marsh, follow G north into marsh, midway up G on left side (west) were the tourist park, walk in and at any point you like start working south towards the creek (visible on google map), the creek is a natural barrier and you push them in they will try and circle. If your real ambitous and make a big southward walk the southern end is farmland (food plots).
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Opposite side of G (east side), follow the powerline walk 500+ yards past the little trail on left (you will see it not far in) there are breaks in the thick scrub, I've jumped numerous deer there, seen them near powerline trail in evening munching on grass or whatever grows in the clearing. That side offers a quiet entry early and there are farms south of it as well (more deer food).

Jackson Squirrel tip (shhhhhh, secret!): That first 5 acre square of trees you see on left heading north on G, its kinda all by itself next to the Pheasant meadows guys hunt, sit still in there and sometime the woods come alive with tree rats chasing each other, gotta be stealth they have seen plenty of pressure ( Bird hunters freak when you carry an AR out with a few squirels in your hand!).

With all the guys on here we could do a surgical drive your son wouldnt soon forget!

u_say_go
11-14-2009, 08:06 AM
I know exactly where you're talking about. Have you ever gone in on the far east side of the property, off of Church road? It seems promising back there, but not sure what effect the river would have on the deer movement.

An early morning drive on Thanksgiving would be sweet, I'm game!

Thanks for the tips

Rocket Power
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I wish you guys luck, all I ever saw on public land was other orange dudes:rolf
and the kid that pointed his shotgun at me as I came down the trail:stare
Luckily I married into some private land.

Cool that you're getting the kid into it:thumbsup
Hope my daughter will want to go when she gets a bit older,already likes shooting:rolf

SSDude
11-14-2009, 01:37 PM
I've seen more deer in the Allenton Marsh than I've ever seen in Jackson. Theresa marsh is another posssibility close to you. I haven't hunted it myself but a co-worker who's a hunting nut recommended it.

Russ Jerome
11-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Have you ever gone in on the far east side of the property, off of Church road? It seems promising back there, but not sure what effect the river would have on the deer movement.

Havent been over that side, as many times as I've been there I've never coverd all the land off of G.

I may miss the entire gun season up in Marquete county due to my work schedule, may be up to simply try and herd some animals towards you guys if I get stuck down here.

u_say_go
11-15-2009, 08:01 AM
man I love Jackson Marsh!!! Got out of work early today (6am) and took a drive to a few of the parking lots around the property. Took a short walk into the woods off of Church St, east of "G" and kicked up 4 deer (no antlers). Then drove to the lot on Hwy M, walked thru the cornfield and into the large grassy area and saw 10 turkeys that I could have hit with a slingshot. Then parked on "G" near the pheasant meadow and watched 2 hunters for a while. Was just about to leave and heard a few pops, watched the Springer retrieve a pheasant.
Never seen so much action in such a short time there. Awesome morning!

Found a couple spots that we'll try for opening day, but I have a funny feeling that place is going to be a zoo that day.

Russ Jerome
11-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Be interested to hear how many people "actively" hunt it opening deer weekend. If you got in deep enough, early enough you could use all the hunter traffic to your advantage pushing deer around and towards you. There are a lot of hunters on the outdoors channel who do just that, public hunt and let transient hunters move the deer for them, they do a lot of pre planning.

u_say_go
11-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I was there Sunday of opening weekend last year and the traffic in and out of the woods was insane! Guys were up walking around by 7:00, then at 9am it was like someone rang the lunch bell and the place was pretty much cleared out. I stayed put till noon then started walking, found a few gut piles so I know some deer were getting whacked.

I am over-analizing the whole thing, I know it. Gun season is way different than bow, all the planning and tactics go out the window once the shotguns start blasting or guys are walking around. We've got the ground blind ready to go with some chairs, packing a cooler and just going to iron-ass it all day and hope for the best.

It's so cool that my son is excited, it's resparked my enthusiasm for deer hunting.

Rocket Power
11-16-2009, 11:26 AM
It's so cool that my son is excited, it's resparked my enthusiasm for deer hunting.

That's awesome!