PDA

View Full Version : Wheel balancing place with weighs on inside?

TransAm12sec
05-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Hey does anybody know a place that will put the weights on the inside of the wheel? I just got a set of Formula wheels and in order to polish the rim with the wheel spinning, I can't have a weight there.

I live on the north side of Milwaukee.

Yooformula
05-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Most places will mount the weights on the inside if you ask them to. I know Mr. P's on hwy 100 will inside mount them. Ask for Rick.

Milw96Cobra
05-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Goodyear / Gemini on 124th and North does it.

Quite well actually... the guys there are nice, friendly and knowledgeable as well.

02hawk796
05-06-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure what your wheels are like. You can see mine in my sig.
For my chrome wheels, "tape-on weights" are used on the inner surface of the rim (they are visible if you look between my spokes). If this is what you want, that's the phrase to ask for.
Tape-on weights will provide better balancing than inside lip clamp-on weights.
Is that what you are asking?

jbiscuit
05-06-2004, 08:51 AM
sorry Yoos but I wouldn't recommend Mr. P's Tire......they seriously jacked up one of my wheels. I went there to have 1 tire dismounted, thats it. What I got was my tire dismounted, 2 deep gouges in the polished lip and 2 new deep scratches.... They did a horrible job. I wanted to cry when he handed me my wheel it looked so bad and the guy that did it tried to play it off like it was like that when I brought it in. UMMM NO!!! YOU DID THAT!!!

So I have to say stay away from Mr. P's...they cost me $160 to get the scratches and the gouge repaired and it still won't be as good as new.

J

Syclone0044
05-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Yes just make it clear when you bring them in to whatever shop you choose; that it is imperative that they place NO CLAMP ON WEIGHTS ON THE OUTSIDE, and use tape weights on the inside. Sometimes they may say they can't balance it with only tape weights, then it is OK to allow a clamp on weight on the INSIDE lip. But never on the outside. I can't tell you how many sets of wheels I've owned (used) that were ruined by those bullshit clamp on weights. Even mint NEWLY REFINISHED wheels will corrode and ruin the clearcoat to **** under the clamp on weights in a matter of 1 year. Stay away from clamp on weights on the outside!!

The only thing to watch out for using tape weights is they can fall off on their own. I had mine come off and now have to have the wheel rebalanced. I think it may have been some strong wheel cleaning solution that probably weakened the tape. So when cleaning your wheels be careful.

TransAm12sec
05-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Here are the wheels I have, just not polished.

JR HAWK 9
05-07-2004, 10:16 AM
also, I wouldn't settle for just a normal balance.......

find a place that has and is competent in using the Hunter GSP9700 and get them road force balanced and match mounted if need be.

Paul

02hawk796
05-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Paul, please be sure to let us know how that place works out for you. I'll be needing to put the new tires on shortly.

My tape-on weights have been on for 42K miles. No problems.
If some place tells me they cannot balance the wheel with only tape-on weights, I will go elsewhere.

T/A12sec - this new board software will not allow me to view your tires pic. Did my post above make sense to you? Any other Q's?

TransAm12sec
05-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Yes it does.

I do not want weights on the outside of the wheel, because I will be polishing them from time to time. I will put the rear on jackstands, and have someone put the car in drive while I polish the wheel. I won't be able to use that method with weights on the outside of the wheel.

Because Syclone0044 tape on weights came off, I think I'll have someone put weights on the inside lip of the wheel.

GRNDNL
05-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I've been using Tape Weights for years (like 20), never had them come off. The trick is to seal them with silicone, small bead around the edge is all it takes. I've had clamp-on weights come off aluminum wheels before.

JR HAWK 9
05-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I am back and have my new tires mounted and balanced....

Richlonn's did a great job, not a mark anywhere. I had the service manager do them though just to make sure. The only thing is to have them match mounted (requires multiple mount/dismounts) and road force balanced it costed me $193.65 for 4 tires!! It was pricey but I feel like it was well worth it. If you want just a normal mount/balance I'm sure it will be cheaper.

Paul

Paul, please be sure to let us know how that place works out for you. I'll be needing to put the new tires on shortly.

TransAm12sec
05-09-2004, 08:34 PM
I got the wheels for 50 bucks and am going to polish them.

I will get the tires for 56 bucks a piece plus shipping.

Almost 200 dollars can be spent much better ways for me.

SSmike1
05-10-2004, 12:52 PM
I had mine come off and now have to have the wheel rebalanced. I think it may have been some strong wheel cleaning solution that probably weakened the tape. So when cleaning your wheels be careful.

hey Josh,

if ya were not using that 10,000PSI power washer on your wheels...
:tomato

J/K :-P