PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for mild car audio install.

Nickerz
11-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a deck, two amps, two sets of components, 2 12s and a prefabbed custom box that needs to be installed. Want to know where I should take my car to get it done. I think project two is probably overkill, heard mixed reviews on stay tuned and haven't heard anything else on the rest.

:banana1: :durr

Feature Pony
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
How about your garage, you should be able to install this stuff by your self or with a friend. Its pretty easy now days.

Nickerz
11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
How about your garage, you should be able to install this stuff by your self or with a friend. Its pretty easy now days.

I don't have the time, I run a business and go to school full time. Plus I don't have a real garage. I just want someone to nail it out. Nice avatar by the way, do you own one? I saw the prototype of that at SEMA 07. It was actually one of my favorites of the show.

PureSound15
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Project Two Customs - more for your buck.

Nickerz
11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Project Two Customs - more for your buck.
I feel like I would get raped there.

Irish
11-11-2009, 06:55 PM

97z2801ss
11-11-2009, 07:42 PM
adams autoglass and security does good work. adam is super cool its right by pistole petes

1320PNY
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
adams autoglass and security does good work. adam is super cool its right by pistole petes

I second Adams. Did my remote start and tint. Quality install, clean with quality wire and connections. Price was too low to justify my time. Plus they have time to get in right now. I think I am having an aux port put in this week.

Plum Crazy
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I had my Pontiac done at Circuit City, but i guess that isnt an option. lol

88Nightmare
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
cheap? try American TV on 13th street in Oak Creek. Or Best Buy. Otherwise if you want it done right the first time, PJ2

Nickerz
11-11-2009, 10:48 PM

This is what I was looking for. Not really a "car audio" place, but not best buy. Project Two does great work, but this isn't a comp car. Just a daily driver. Now I just have to clean my car out. I'm not making someone work in the filth that is my car. :stare I'll have to get some tint too. That way when I'm piling McDonalds in my face no one can see me.

Flicktitty
11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of Adam's. i always thought he was kind of an asshole.

the guy he had working there is very cool, i believe he started his own shop. i would HIGHLY reccomend them. if nothing else the guy's at Project2 are awesome.

Nickerz
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of Adam's. i always thought he was kind of an asshole.

the guy he had working there is very cool, i believe he started his own shop. i would HIGHLY reccomend them. if nothing else the guy's at Project2 are awesome.

I can deal with my own kind just fine :rolf

I see you one asshole and raise you another Adam. :headbang :flipoff2:

Philly-O
11-11-2009, 11:21 PM
that is one of our biggest problems...is that because we have done some pretty crazy cars, we still do simple things too. our pricing is competative and you will get what you want or more the first time around. give us a call and hopefully we can give you what you feel is an acceptable quote.
262-650-1464

Nickerz
11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
that is one of our biggest problems...is that because we have done some pretty crazy cars, we still do simple things too. our pricing is competative and you will get what you want or more the first time around. give us a call and hopefully we can give you what you feel is an acceptable quote.
262-650-1464

I'll just call Adam's and then if you can match it I'll see you either tomorrow or Friday. :thumbsup

Philly-O
11-11-2009, 11:29 PM
didn't realise adam's was still in business since his main installer went on to do his own thing.

Philly-O
11-11-2009, 11:34 PM
forgot to ask...what kind of car and do you have any of the parts such as kit, harness or wiring for the amps?

Nickerz
11-12-2009, 01:41 AM
forgot to ask...what kind of car and do you have any of the parts such as kit, harness or wiring for the amps?

02 civic, deck harness is wired already, box is a prefab custom drop in, wirekit from knuconcepts. The only part that would really be out of best buy's league is the two component sets have separate tweeters to be mounted.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK4
here is the wire kit I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-HONDA-CIVIC-Sub-Enclosure-Speaker-box-01-05-NEW_W0QQitemZ230396183225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a4aec2b9

Here is the box.

The 2nd amp and the two component sets are supposed to show up tomorrow, if that is the case I'll give you a call. Otherwise it will be Friday.

hrsp
11-12-2009, 02:07 AM
im looking for the same shit basically...so since your doing the leg work please let me know where you went and what it ran ya...also if you were happy..THANKS!!!

MoCkiN U
11-12-2009, 02:56 AM
stick with a reputable shop. Dont go to best buy. THese days they just hack up the vents and harness to make shit work. Seen tooo many sob stories working in a circuit and being next door to best buy in gurnee. Just so many cars jacked up by shotty work. Get it done right even if you pay a little more

easytoremember
11-12-2009, 09:42 AM
I worked for Circuit City for 2 years, I could do it for you at my shop downtown Milwaukee, Call me sometime and we could go over what you want done.
Chris
414-731-1793

Waver
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I would say project II....they did everything on my car except the dvd install and the tuning of the sound. I did all of that. If you want, I can do it, I have years of experience installing stereo equipment, and I absolutly hate it when there are wires all over the place. Send me a pm if interested

Slow Joe
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM
As far away from Project Two as possible...

That is unless you want it wired incorrectly so it drains your battery to the point of oblivion and then they try to blame it on other work that had been done on the car before, and you have to tow your car to a mechanic to diagnose that they wired your stereo wrong and it constantly drains your battery...

Oh yeah, and they get some kind of glue on your 5 year old Recaro racing seat, and keep saying they'll give it back and don't... I guess I should stop in there and get that back...

P.S. If you don't believe my story, I can show you the receipts from CS Motorsport where they rewired the stereo system because it was draining the battery...

Edit: I forgot to add that the battery that was NEW when we brought the car in was now ruined, and they fought with me trying to say that the battery was from 6/06 and it was actually from 12/2007 since the car sat from 3/2004-11/2007... I have the receipt for that one too...

UnderPSI
11-12-2009, 04:38 PM
The guy that did that wiring isn't there any longer. They "took care of the problem" I am sure they would do what ever it would take to make it right. They always do.

Slow Joe
11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
The guy that did that wiring isn't there any longer. They "took care of the problem" I am sure they would do what ever it would take to make it right. They always do.

Actually Brad they didn't. They said that the car had "other issues" and gave it back to us to fix. We took it to CS Motorsport to have the issues diagnosed, and they found that the stereo was wired incorrectly. Being sick of P2 jacking us around we just had CS Motorsport fix the issue, which cost us an additional $600. The issue was the stereo wiring, period.

lordairgtar
11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I am sure anyone can find something to complain about with any install company. Used to be any one with a Crutchfield catalogue and a garage could call themselves an installer. I mean is there a body that oversees or authorizes installers similar to what mechanics have?

Waver
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I am sure anyone can find something to complain about with any install company. Used to be any one with a Crutchfield catalogue and a garage could call themselves an installer. I mean is there a body that oversees or authorizes installers similar to what mechanics have?

What you fail to realize is that this is just not any car, this is on a porsche.

lordairgtar
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
What you fail to realize is that this is just not any car, this is on a porsche.
Whether it's a Porsche or a ten year old beater, it doesn't matter. How can one tell if they are getting a good and reliable shop? I remember the ads in the car mags from Crutchfield stating they would send their catalog to you and you could be the neighborhood sound system installer. This was in the late 70s, early 80s.

Waver
11-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Whether it's a Porsche or a ten year old beater, it doesn't matter. How can one tell if they are getting a good and reliable shop? I remember the ads in the car mags from Crutchfield stating they would send their catalog to you and you could be the neighborhood sound system installer. This was in the late 70s, early 80s.

Here is the thing, if you have a car like that, then you plan on spending some coin on its resto, and you will want it done right. Project II did a good job on my stereo install, however a mustang is a bit different than a porsche

PB86MCSS
11-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I always thought doing car audio was pretty basic stuff unless you are doing something custom. I personally only outsource something I can't do or don't want to mess up, like paint/bodywork or internals of a motor. I hope I'm not in the minority on this board.

Waver
11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I always thought doing car audio was pretty basic stuff unless you are doing something custom. I personally only outsource something I can't do or don't want to mess up, like paint/bodywork or internals of a motor. I hope I'm not in the minority on this board.

it is for the most part, unless you are doing a custom box or a custom setup period.

lordairgtar
11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Here is the thing, if you have a car like that, then you plan on spending some coin on its resto, and you will want it done right. Project II did a good job on my stereo install, however a mustang is a bit different than a porsche
I don't do sound install, but if I did, it wouldn't matter if it was a Porsche or Mustang. Both would get my best. Not saying Project II does crappy work at all. Just wondering how one would find a good place if he didn't have prior experience with the vendor or install place. When I draw a car for someone, it don't matter if it's a 200,000 dollar classic or somebodies well loved 500 dollar pickle. I don't look at it as a cheap car so I'm going to do a crappy job.

Waver
11-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't do sound install, but if I did, it wouldn't matter if it was a Porsche or Mustang. Both would get my best. Not saying Project II does crappy work at all. Just wondering how one would find a good place if he didn't have prior experience with the vendor or install place. When I draw a car for someone, it don't matter if it's a 200,000 dollar classic or somebodies well loved 500 dollar pickle. I don't look at it as a cheap car so I'm going to do a crappy job.

In the case of sloJoe and the porsche, he was referred to project II by people on the board.....after that.....well if you want the details, pm him.....Nutwaver out

Slow Joe
11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
It's not even that it's a Porsche, they installed everything from scratch... It was how they wired it that was wrong. In this case it don't matter whether it was a Porsche or a Yugo...

However, I'm happy to hear that the installer that did that no longer works there... I just wish that the Owner would of taken some responsibility for the work one of his employees did and tried to help us with that and the other damages done to the car by his installer...

Let's just say it went back there starting and running, and left there not starting anymore... And it wasn't a faulty starter like they tried to blame it on.

Slow Joe
11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
In the case of sloJoe and the porsche, he was referred to project II by people on the board.....after that.....well if you want the details, pm him.....Nutwaver out

:rolf :rolf Thanks Nick! Yeah... If I went through the whole story in a thread it'd be a long one to read.... Maybe someday I'll write a book on the restoration of this 928... And that'll be a chapter or something... :rolf

97z2801ss
11-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I second Adams. Did my remote start and tint. Quality install, clean with quality wire and connections. Price was too low to justify my time. Plus they have time to get in right now. I think I am having an aux port put in this week.

adam helped me with some problems I ran into with the sound, in mycar aswell as put remote starts in all my vehicles and when someone smashed the window in my old truck they got it in and fixed the same day and for cheaper then then a friends dad could from his window glass business. :headbang

Waver
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
:rolf :rolf Thanks Nick! Yeah... If I went through the whole story in a thread it'd be a long one to read.... Maybe someday I'll write a book on the restoration of this 928... And that'll be a chapter or something... :rolf

Yeaaahhhh.....I wasnt going to tell the whole story as I know it and have heard it from you....I will leave that one to you:thumbsup

Yooformula
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
if you havent found anyone yet, I can do the install.

fly5150
11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
No matter where you go, someone somewhere has gotten crap service. Everyplace has their good and bad. Shop around, ask questions and make a decision. In todays age of decent factory systems and factory nav, very few people are spending money on systems, so the number of competing shops have dwindled.
You get what you pay for.

Waver
11-12-2009, 07:45 PM
No matter where you go, someone somewhere has gotten crap service. Everyplace has their good and bad. Shop around, ask questions and make a decision. In todays age of decent factory systems and factory nav, very few people are spending money on systems, so the number of competing shops have dwindled.
You get what you pay for.

I will have to agree with this...The box and sub that I won from projectII is awesome and was worth the $80 or so that I paid to have it installed in the car. They put in a custom toggle switch inside the center council so I wouldnt have to hit the e brake for the dvd function, and the wireing was top notch. I have no real complaints. Could I have done the install my self, yes, but I had already froze my nuts off installing the dvd head unit. So to me it was worth it (I have since installed an xm receiver hooked up to the headunit my self)

Philly-O
11-17-2009, 11:13 PM
joe's porche was a unique situation (that said it is still a situation that never should have turned out like it did), i wish i had ANYTHING to do with it so he wouldn't have had such troubles with us. it pained me to see him comming up to the shop and not leaving with what he wanted. in a nutshell both the salesman and installer that did the wiring and stereo are both gone now.