PDA

View Full Version : Help with Small Claims Lawyer

JBs92Lude
11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I am unsure how this works.

Does anyone know a good small claims lawyer or have a good deal of knowledge on how small claims court works? I need some advice and some insight on this. Please just send me a PM if you know a good small claims lawyer or know a good deal on how this specific court system works.
Thanks in advance.

pOrk
11-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Don't use a lawyer, do it yourself. Just over prepare yourself and make sure you have a very descriptive / detailed story, and by story I mean tell it because most small claims court judges want to be Judge Judy. All you need to do is prove your case without explaining / using your personal feelings and you will get what is owed to you. We just went through all this with an x roommate and we came out on top, its an easy system to cruise through.

JBs92Lude
11-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't use a lawyer, do it yourself. Just over prepare yourself and make sure you have a very descriptive / detailed story, and by story I mean tell it because most small claims court judges want to be Judge Judy. All you need to do is prove your case without explaining / using your personal feelings and you will get what is owed to you. We just went through all this with an x roommate and we came out on top, its an easy system to cruise through.

I have plenty of evidence to win the case, I am sure of this. However, are there any fees involved/who pays the fees?

Car Guy
11-04-2009, 11:14 AM
There are fees to have the case started and to serve the defendant notice papers but if you win those fees will be added on to your judgment. I can't remember exactly how much it is to file but assume on spending $200 and you’ll be good to go......

Irish
11-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Al
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
What is the maximum amount of time that can expire between an event and a claim?

pOrk
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
The initial court filing cost is something like 125 bucks, BUT if you win the other person is forced to pay. You must eat the cost of serving the defendant, although you can do it yourself to save that money too. I believe the Sheriff does this for 75 bucks.

SSLEVO
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
The initial court filing cost is something like 125 bucks, BUT if you win the other person is forced to pay. You must eat the cost of serving the defendant, although you can do it yourself to save that money too. I believe the Sheriff does this for 75 bucks.

Don't you need a witness to "serve" the papers?

supra213
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I am currently going through this myself. It costs 35 each time the sheriff tries to serve them their papers. They try up to 3 times, you pay the first attempt up front and they send you a bill for any other tries. Most people answer their door when the sheriff is pounding on them. Don't worry about them only trying 3 times, you get to take a different approach if they fail to serve them.

Also, the sheriff takes care of any "witnesses" needed.

If you have any questions pm me, I can help you to as far as I have gotten in the process. They have a good instructional video on the county court website.

Car Guy
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I speak from personal experience (along with my brother - awesomeears) when saying PAY THE SHERRIF TO SERVE THE PAPERS. It might seem like your saving quite a bit of money by doing it yourself but it's money WELL spent, believe me.....

JBs92Lude
11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I am currently going through this myself. It costs 35 each time the sheriff tries to serve them their papers. They try up to 3 times, you pay the first attempt up front and they send you a bill for any other tries. Most people answer their door when the sheriff is pounding on them. Don't worry about them only trying 3 times, you get to take a different approach if they fail to serve them.

Also, the sheriff takes care of any "witnesses" needed.

If you have any questions pm me, I can help you to as far as I have gotten in the process. They have a good instructional video on the county court website.

Thanks, I am still attempting to work this out with the other person to keep this out of court since the said person is military. However just wanted the information in the case that the person did not comply with me. This person is out of state, so I am not sure how it works with the sheriff serving the papers.

The juice is definitely worth the squeeze if you do it on your own. Not too mention when you win, it is soooooooo sweeeet. It's all you can do not to start laughing at the defendant, when you are walking out of the court room.

Ah yes, and a large load will be lifted off my shoulders with not having to deal with things.

SSLEVO
11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I speak from personal experience (along with my brother - awesomeears) when saying PAY THE SHERRIF TO SERVE THE PAPERS. It might seem like your saving quite a bit of money by doing it yourself but it's money WELL spent, believe me.....

Oh come on, lets hear the story behind that!!!

Car Guy
11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh come on, lets hear the story behind that!!!

I don't care to relive all of the details but in a nutshell people like to repeatedly run/hide from civilians serving court papers and there's not much you can do about it. The situation is different when someone in uniform comes a knocking, like a sherriff.....:thumbsup

lordairgtar
11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't care to relive all of the details but in a nutshell people feel they can repeatedly run/hide from civilians serving court papers and there's not much you can do about it. The situation is a different when someone in uniform comes a knocking like a sherriff.....:thumbsup

They never hid from me.:devil

Car Guy
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
They never hid from me.:devil

You were VERY fortunate then......:thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
11-04-2009, 07:35 PM
this was my wifes old job dutys at the washington county clerk of courts. pm if needed i can have you call her