PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix issues

Nix
11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a 2002 GTP, I noticed a coolant smell recently. I looked under the motor cover and saw coolant sitting along the valley where the front valve cover is. Its not blowing coolant, just a very slow leak with no drips or puddles.

I checked the oil as I do every month cause' of all the miles I drive daily. It was a quart low which it never is. It striked me as odd. THEN, I poped the rad cap and to my suprise the coolant was loer than it should be but you could still see it. I don't use Dexcool cuz its junk, I use the regular green shit. Well there is what looks to be oil floating all in the coolant, it looks like and oil slick in there. I just had the coolant flushed roughly 25K ago so there should really not be any garbage in there like there is! Its caked on all the way up the neck of the rad and caked on the bottom of the cap.

My guess is its on its way out. Head gasket? Upper/lower intake gasket?

The car only has 105K on it. I rarley beat the damn thing. I got it with roughly 51K almost 3 years ago, I drive 60miles round trip daily so the miles add up really quick.

I think Im just going to get rid of it, knowing my luck it will start to nickle and dime me to death from here on out.

Anoyone intrested? How much should I sell it for? Or should I just trade it in?

It still runs great but I think the end is near, the exhaust isnt blowing white so the headgasket and such is still in tact.

Also I thought it was the coolant that would mix with the oil, not the way its happening now?

Questions? Comments? Anyone!?!?!?

07ROUSHSTG3
11-03-2009, 07:18 PM
i would bet head gaskets if you are seeing junk in the coolant like that.

Nix
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
i would bet head gaskets if you are seeing junk in the coolant like that.

Yeah thats what Im assuming. It sucks, this is not good timing. But I really think Im gonna let the car go. Like I said, knowing my luck it will nickle and dime me to fucking death!!!!! :chair: Why? Because my luck sucks goat testies.

lilws6
11-03-2009, 08:15 PM
thats got a 3.8 in it right? i'de be looking at the intake gaskets first those are one of the most common things we see at tires plus most people don't fix it some people to it'll only get worse if its sitting on top of the heads its probably the intake leaking. how much would you sell it for? wana trade for an oil buring saturn? lol

Nix
11-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Im getting rid of it. The wife and I are going to look at cars this weekend. I really don't want to get rid of it but I think its the right thing to do.

I don't even know how much I should sell if for so I may just trade it in and what bugs me is they may just junk it? Plus its the 40th anniversary edition so its kinda rare but not really.

SLOWC5
11-04-2009, 08:56 AM
PM me pics and details and options on the car please, will buy pending pics and info

JEFF

Dr.Buick
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
put me 2nd in line

Nix
11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
If we go the private route I will for sure have you second in line Dr. :thumbsup

brotherbenn83
11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
PM me if you want to fix it and keep it.

wrencher
11-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Coolant leaks in various areas around the intake 7 the intake itself are common.
as for oil in the cooling system, ya the motor itself could do that. But dont overlook the trans cooler in the radiator. Seen plenty of those leak seep into the coolant as well.
Even get restricted.

10secondcamaro
11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
intake gaskets are a problem with that engine more often than not with 100K on it. shops scharge several hundred $ to do it do it yourself. I also read that it was because of the dexcool that all of these were leaking.

lilws6
11-09-2009, 01:10 PM
same with the truck motors most say that the dex cool is what causes the premature failure

Nix
11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I had the DEX-COOL swapped out awhile ago. I didn't trust that shit, it was replaced with the good old green antifreeze. I've heard similar to what you guys posted above. Anyhow, the car has been passed along to a new owner. :)