PDA

View Full Version : Most Reliable cars...

Nix
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I found this article pretty intresting, it kind of goes along with the other thread showing Ford's progress. Obviously they have been hard at work and it shows.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1101555

Prince Valiant
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
That's one of the findings of our 2009 Annual Auto Survey, based on our subscribers' experiences with 1.4 million vehicles. And here's problem number one w/ consumer reports. They only poll/sample subscribers rather than the owner pool at large...and explains why one sees such large discrepancy of findings b/w Consumer Reports surveys of reliability or owner satisfaction and say, J.D Powers, who do sample overall ownership. (Like buick beating ford by a Large margin in JD powers report...)

What it basically means is that while the findings can be accurate, they only apply to consumer report subscribers as many readers/subscribers adhere to similar sensibilities.

4eyedstang
11-02-2009, 06:17 PM
i don't get it. how do they judge reliability in such a short time i call BS on the whole story .

rewrite it in 10 years.

VroomPshhTsi
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
i don't get it. how do they judge reliability in such a short time i call BS on the whole story .

rewrite it in 10 years.

x2.

That's why Hondas were labeled the "reliable" ones lately because of their build quality in the mid-90s. No way you can write on build quality of 2008+ vehicles. Give them 10 years of WI roads and traffic then get back to me.

Nix
11-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Im starting to gather that Comsumer Reports is bullshit from Prince? I never really paid any attention to them, I just happened to run across this article. I also agree with how are they able to find out its reliability if it just came out as well, but maybe they are baseing it on the vehicles track resocrd from past years? I have no idea how they come to their conclusion.

wrath
11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Consumer Reports is retarded. They claim that the SAME platform vehicles made on the SAME assembly line using the SAME parts put on by the SAME people have different reliabilities.

If you take a cross section of CR's subscriber base and compared it to a typical sample population you'd think all of CR's subscribers were from Mars.

Rocket Power
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
My 86 Ranger STX 4x4 had 225,000 miles without and major problem,we traded that in on our 96 Olds eighty eight, the only problem that had was the intake at 180,000 after I fixed that we traded it in on our 01 Supercrew that has 142,000 on it now and it's had two problems the plug blew out at 101,000 which I fixed for $100 and the cluster is acting up but it's still driven everyday. I think the cluster is a bad connection or bad solder joint, because when it acts up a light thump in top of the dash resets it back to normal.
Even my 94 GP has 180,000 on it and other than balljoint and tierod ends in teh last year, just the fuel pump crapping out last week has been a problem.

Must just be lucky that I get to over 100K before anything resembling a problem comes up (other than maint items like brake pads)

Al
11-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Who do you (everyone) trust for car reliablity info?

For me, I tend to listen to salvage yard owners. They seem to be able to tell you which cars have real issues and the progression of makes and models over time.

lordairgtar
11-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Who do you (everyone) trust for car reliablity info?

For me, I tend to listen to salvage yard owners. They seem to be able to tell you which cars have real issues and the progression of makes and models over time.
I agree. If you see a bunch of non-wrecked cars of a certain type in salvage, you know those are crap. Especially if they are not very old. On car forums for a specific car like a Mustang or an HHR will have people posting on common problems they have. Like the crappy front brake rotors the base HHRs have.

Slow Joe
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I go off of personal experiences... We had a Corolla, had in my opinion, a major issue that the dealership couldn't diagnose... Will never buy another Toyota... I've had Jeeps, Fords, and Saabs for that matter without any major issues and will buy any one of those again...

And my "test" for above vehicles

1995 Grand Cherokee - Bought with 90k sold with 200k -- Biggest issues - Radiator, PS Pump
I've had many fords, so that's my test on those... lol
Saabs - 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible Bought with 45k currently has 142k -- Biggest issues - Brake pads and Rotors, Strut Mounts

VroomPshhTsi
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
x2 on personal experience. We had GM since I can remember then in early-mid 90s they started breaking down. We tried Honda, haven't looked back. Currently have 3 Hondas and one Chevy.

Just as important as who makes the car is how you take care of it. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here with cars that have bad rep for being crappy quality, that are running 150-200k+ miles and going strong.

MurphysLaw88GT
11-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Yes, walk around salvage yards good indicator of what will work. And you might be able to see how your car may hold up in a collision.

Crawlin
11-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Consumer Reports was sued for a review they did by consumer's. They got out of the lawsuit because it plainly states in teh magazine that these reviews are for entertainment purposes ony and have no true bearing on reality even if their review is similar to that of another testing facility/survey center