PDA

View Full Version : How to become a gun smith?

Firefighter Z
10-30-2009, 09:33 PM
How would one go into becoming a gun smith?

Is there a school or something?

I'm kinda intrested in becoming a Gun Smith.

Thanks!

Holeshot
10-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Pretty expensive hobby. Machining skills and tooling are a must and a personal shooting range would be a big plus.

Firefighter Z
10-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I really wasn't looking to do it as a hobby... More as a job if it does pay good.

STANMAN
10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
You would go to a trade school, just like any other mechanical skill set job. If you want to make very good money, you would specialize in something rather than just be a "fixer", just like in any other trade. There are several schools that specialize in the art of gunsmithing. Here's a place to start learning if it's for you:

http://www.nragunsmithing.com/

I was an apprentice gunsmith at Gander for awhile as a part time gig, it was fun for me, but I am REALLY into firearms.

Firefighter Z
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks STANMAN

Russ Jerome
10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
If you want to make very good money, you would specialize in something rather than just be a "fixer", just like in any other trade.

And as an indididual, not a big company you can earn the trust of large groups and get more work than you can handle. I was doing NEF/Harris Richards trigger jobs for fun a few years back, quickly became more "work" than fun. Soon as one guy gives you praise you get 3 more e-mails, those three guys lead to 9 e-mails...on and on.

Like Shaun said there are specific tools and jigs for each make. Custom coatings and engine turning is realy growing, I've bought some tooling but havent tried it yet.

HITMAN
11-01-2009, 01:36 AM
You would go to a trade school, just like any other mechanical skill set job. If you want to make very good money, you would specialize in something rather than just be a "fixer", just like in any other trade. There are several schools that specialize in the art of gunsmithing. Here's a place to start learning if it's for you:

http://www.nragunsmithing.com/

I was an apprentice gunsmith at Gander for awhile as a part time gig, it was fun for me, but I am REALLY into firearms.

Looked them over and the Trinidad State Junior College in Colorado seem to have the most complete curriculum, but it's also the most expensive. The place in NC, Montgomery Community College, looks to have the best balance of curriculum verses cost. Many of their courses are literally 1/5th of the cost of Trinidad.