PDA

View Full Version : carb'd turbo question

Turbo-Triumph
10-30-2009, 03:47 PM
what is the difference between a suck through turbo and a blow through turbo?

i mean the difference in the turbo itself.

and how long would a not sucktrhough designed turbo last on a suckthrough design?

FourEyedFord
10-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know much about draw through setups, but I would imagine the turbos aren't any different.

Why not do a blow through setup?

houstonsaxton
10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I believe those terms refer to where the MAF is located in the piping on a efii car. For instance a roots blower would have a maf before the blower a turbo and some Centri charge cars have them after the blower before the TB.

houstonsaxton
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I forgot to mention the roots setup is a draw thru (Suck thru). The other is a blow thru setup.

Turbo-Triumph
10-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't know much about draw through setups, but I would imagine the turbos aren't any different.

Why not do a blow through setup?

draw through is SO much easier and cheaper. im thinkin of buyin a carb'd car and slappin a turbo i got on it, than selling it for some profit (hopefully)

im just lookin for a cheapo setup i can make (ill fabricate everything i need)

i read somewhere you need ceramic spring loaded seals for something with the gas or something, but in another place i read this is unneccesary.

I believe those terms refer to where the MAF is located in the piping on a efii car. For instance a roots blower would have a maf before the blower a turbo and some Centri charge cars have them after the blower before the TB.

'draw through' and 'blow through' refer to the location of the carb/tb in relation to the turbo. blow through meaning your forcing air through the carb, draw through meaning your sucking air/gas mixed into the inlet of the turbo, forcing it into the intake mani

Russ Jerome
10-30-2009, 09:20 PM
This is an indepth topic with lots of great points, check out Corky Bells "Maximum Boost" at the bookstore or research online for fundamentals like "my underhood is full of atomized fuel when I blew my hose on my suckthru setup".

Look at early Nissan turboed 240 z's and Chrysler 2.2 setups of the early 80's to see how easy a setup could be.

70 cutlass 442
10-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Draw thourgh is a turbo mounted beofre the turbo, it uses negitice pressure (vaccume) to draw fuel over the boosters of a carb............ a blow through does exactly that, however, it blows boost or air thought a carb, over the boosters to compensate for the extra fuel needed......... both work, but a blow through is much more advanced....

Turbo-Triumph
10-31-2009, 08:13 AM
ok i think i found the answer to my question.

a suckthrough turbo should have ceramic spring loaded seals.

another site stated this was irrelevant and i can 'do without'.

anyone have any real world knowledge? im not looking for someone to explain where the turbo is compared to the carb. i got that. check. im looking for someone to explain to me how and what i need to go about changing on a specific turbo, to convert it to suckthrough capable.

oh and 70 cutlass... "draw through is a turbo mounted beofre the turbo"

even know i know this is a typological error, ganna say it anyways. thats twin turbo.

lordairgtar
10-31-2009, 10:56 AM
All this talk about sucking and blowing....wow.

70 cutlass 442
10-31-2009, 05:40 PM
ok i think i found the answer to my question.

a suckthrough turbo should have ceramic spring loaded seals.

another site stated this was irrelevant and i can 'do without'.

anyone have any real world knowledge? im not looking for someone to explain where the turbo is compared to the carb. i got that. check. im looking for someone to explain to me how and what i need to go about changing on a specific turbo, to convert it to suckthrough capable.

oh and 70 cutlass... "draw through is a turbo mounted beofre the turbo"

even know i know this is a typological error, ganna say it anyways. thats twin turbo.

haha, thats what I get for trying to reply to a post after 5 hours at the bar :alcoholic. should read carb mounted before the turbo.... plenty of pics online to show different draw through setups!