PDA

View Full Version : XBOX rrod talk...

Goat Roper
10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Sent a message to Avenger to get both my xboxes fixed, then I shall see you all on the track

Josepy
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Sent a message to Avenger to get both my xboxes fixed, then I shall see you all on the track

Have fun with that. Took over a month to get mine back. The guy supposedly had some family issues. Now my xbox gets random disc drive read errors. I emailed them a week ago and have not heard back.

Goat Roper
10-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Ah, well that sucks right there

TheRX7Project
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM

RROD? After warranty? There's a permenant way to fix it if you're not afraid to work on it. It seems pretty straight forward.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/

Exitspeed
10-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Have fun with that. Took over a month to get mine back. The guy supposedly had some family issues. Now my xbox gets random disc drive read errors. I emailed them a week ago and have not heard back.

Yeah I sent him a message two weeks ago. He got back to me at first and I haven't heard back since. I found a UMW nerd genius dude that I'm gonna bring mine to tomorrow. He charges $50 but if he can't repair it he gives your money back. I talked to him on the phone and he sounds pretty legit. Plus he's overly qualified to make the repair.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/vgm/1437029561.html

Josepy
10-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah I sent him a message two weeks ago. He got back to me at first and I haven't heard back since. I found a UMW nerd genius dude that I'm gonna bring mine to tomorrow. He charges $50 but if he can't repair it he gives your money back. I talked to him on the phone and he sounds pretty legit. Plus he's overly qualified to make the repair.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/vgm/1437029561.html

Hope it is not the same guy that fixed mine.

Exitspeed
10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Hope it is not the same guy that fixed mine.

Where did the dude live that fixed yours exactly? The guy I'm taking it to is not the same person who theavenger333 has fixing them.

This guy said he will get it back to me in a day. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Josepy
10-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Where did the dude live that fixed yours exactly?

I dont know. I didnt drop it off. Its not the same person. I just checked my emails.

Exitspeed
10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
I dont know. I didnt drop it off. Its not the same person. I just checked my emails.

Ok good. Well I'll let you guys know how it works out with this guy.

Goat Roper
10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Didn't mean to jack this thread for this subject but yeah, one box has one light (which I believe is a dvd drive issue) and the other is the standard three light/heat sink issue. Which lights have you all had?

Exitspeed
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Didn't mean to jack this thread for this subject but yeah, one box has one light (which I believe is a dvd drive issue) and the other is the standard three light/heat sink issue. Which lights have you all had?

3 rings for me twice now. I guess the DVD drive is really easy to fix. Takes like 5 min.

Josepy
10-30-2009, 02:04 PM

I had the lights once. My xbox wouldnt play the games anymore or instantly freeze on startup. They did get that fixed but now its having the drive error issue after i got it back.

Yooformula
10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
I got the rrod 3 times then I layed it flat instead of upright and got one of those rear case mounted fans and its been over 2 years since I had a red ring.

Exitspeed
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I got the rrod 3 times then I layed it flat instead of upright and got one of those rear case mounted fans and its been over 2 years since I had a red ring.

I've heard that technique too. Thing is for me I've never had it standing up. Always layed flat. I HARDLY ever play mine either. Oh well hopefully this dud can fix it for good.

I know one thing though, I won't be buying MS's next console until it's on the market for a good year or two. I am bitter. But not as bitter as I was when I slept on the concrete in a sleeping bag over night in 30 degree tempts when I waited in line for it.

PS thanks for separating the threads.

Yooformula
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
hahaha you say that now but if you were willing to wait outside overnight for one I doubt you would be able to wait a year for the next almighty badass console.lol

Exitspeed
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
hahaha you say that now but if you were willing to wait outside overnight for one I doubt you would be able to wait a year for the next almighty badass console.lol

I know. I lie. :rolf

But that's my story for now.

pOrk
10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
My brother can fix these

SBC-Fox
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Those fans are called the intercooler first thing i bought when i got my xbox and in 3 years have never had the rrod. Ide recomend everyone to get am i just lucky? idk but they seem to do there job

Goat Roper
10-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks to whomever made a seperate thread for me on this!

Yooformula
10-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Those fans are called the intercooler first thing i bought when i got my xbox and in 3 years have never had the rrod. Ide recomend everyone to get am i just lucky? idk but they seem to do there job

I agree! The problem was that MS was voiding warranties if they saw any evidence of one being used. I had read that sometimes they would heat up and the plastic would have a changed color to it. Mine has never heated up or caused issues, although I did snap the plastic clips on it but still works so fuckit.

xxtremeteam
10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I also agree with intercooler stanman bought my 360 with the intercoller and has told me it is the only 360 he has that never broke on him

theavenger333
10-30-2009, 06:05 PM
for the RROD, its the solder type on the GPU or CPU. most commonly the GPU. the boxes have to be reset, and re"flowed" which means setting them through a machine to have the temperature set high as it can go, and make sure the solder resets. it's all about heat, so yes the intercooler works.

as for Josepy's problems... here's background.
the people that i know are Brewcityelectronics. it's a very small buisness run out of my neighbor's partner's home. they made the buisness because they were able to buy large lots of broken 360s from retail chains that took them under warranty and got screwed by microsoft. their buisness is repair and sales of refurbished boxes. they offer this for service: 80 dollars, they will mail you a box for shipping, you ship it back with the label they provide, they fix it, and mail it back to you. otherwise, for 50 dollars, i will run the legwork and get the box from you to them. it's a favor for my neighbor that helps out my parents with stuff a lot, and for the people on here that are friends, or just members. being it's such a small operation, if one of them is sick or is gone, nothing happens. in Josepy's case, there was a family emergency with a death, and the partner that fixes them was gone for almost 2 weeks. he got his box back in about 4, and now it's got another separate issue. as for the partner not responding to the email, i don't know.
exitspeed: i forgot to answer your PM back. sorry.
either way, i am not personally invested in this. i'm just offering to help out members here, and my neighbor. if you wish to get it fixed somewhere else, go right ahead! all i'm offering is to be a middleman and save you 30 dollars.

GTSLOW
10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Wait so its bad for 360's to be upright???

theavenger333
10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
yes. 360s are incredibly tempermental. they're worse then a PC. having it upright is known to cause the disc drives to have read errors. it also doesn't flow air through as well, which causes overheating issues and gets the red ring. saddest part of all this is that Microsoft has had a 60% failure rate on 360s. counting all the known problems, red rings, disc read errors, etc, 60% of the boxes have failed. that's terrible.

Korndogg
10-30-2009, 07:17 PM
I heard if you played with it upright from the beginning or the other way around to keep it that way and never switch it.

Josepy
10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
for the RROD, its the solder type on the GPU or CPU. most commonly the GPU. the boxes have to be reset, and re"flowed" which means setting them through a machine to have the temperature set high as it can go, and make sure the solder resets. it's all about heat, so yes the intercooler works.

the people that i know are Brewcityelectronics. it's a very small buisness run out of my neighbor's partner's home. they made the buisness because they were able to buy large lots of broken 360s from retail chains that took them under warranty and got screwed by microsoft. their buisness is repair and sales of refurbished boxes. they offer this for service: 80 dollars, they will mail you a box for shipping, you ship it back with the label they provide, they fix it, and mail it back to you. otherwise, for 50 dollars, i will run the legwork and get the box from you to them. it's a favor for my neighbor that helps out my parents with stuff a lot, and for the people on here that are friends, or just members. being it's such a small operation, if one of them is sick or is gone, nothing happens. in Josepy's case, there was a family emergency with a death, and the partner that fixes them was gone for almost 2 weeks. he got his box back in about 4, and now it's got another separate issue. as for the partner not responding to the email, i don't know.
either way, i am not personally invested in this. i'm just offering to help out members here, and my neighbor. if you wish to get it fixed somewhere else, go right ahead! all i'm offering is to be a middleman and save you 30 dollars.

You did nothing wrong. I am not upset with you.

Deggy
10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Mark, no RROD on the one I sold you right?

Yooformula
10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Wait so its bad for 360's to be upright???

I didnt know if that was a real problem or not but it helped with my issue so I have NEVER moved the damm box in the longest time.

Korndogg
10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Mark, no RROD on the one I sold you right?

not yet but thanks for jinxing me :goof

STANMAN
10-31-2009, 06:57 AM
I also agree with intercooler stanman bought my 360 with the intercoller and has told me it is the only 360 he has that never broke on him

=true. I bought yours used, never had a problem. Also bought a new one for upstairs, that's the one Steve's person has fixed once, and has to go in again whenever things calm down as the guy who I emailed hasn't gotten back to me yet (like someone said, maybe he has life issues, that's more important than Xbox, that's for sure!).

Exitspeed
10-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Nothing personal. I was just looking to get it done right away and I'm sort of a stickler for communication. If I forgot to even get back to for me to even bring it to you what would happen when it would be time for me to pick it up?

Again, nothing personal.

lilws6
10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
when my old one took a crap i kept bangin it on the floor and it would work for a while finally it completly took a crap i try fliping it all different ways and it was dead so i shipped it to microsoft got it fixed free and i sold it to a member here. I bought an elite and its been standing vertical since i bought it no problems

Korndogg
11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
not yet but thanks for jinxing me :goof

Yeah so I just want to say that mine red ringed last night. So I went and got an Elite.

My broke xbox is going to be my modded one now once i get it fixed.

Exitspeed
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
So I got mine back from the dude on the East Side. Really nice guy. Really smart. He charged me $50 but he put in custom ducting, and a better fan. Hopefully it'll stay running now and I won't have any other issues.

Here's his Craiglist ad if anyone needs to get in touch with him.

Oh no, it happened, you have become victim to the Xbox 360's dreaded E74 Error. I can help! A little background here... the E-74 error (3 red rings/freezing) is caused by an inadequate cooling design by MS (sorry guys). Although microsoft will repair the console, it is a huge pain in the ass and takes forever. Also if you happened to open your 360 for any reason, you're gonna have an uphill battle trying to get them to fix it along with $100. Worse yet, try getting a defective DVD drive repaired. Yikes.

So here's the deal. Being a poor grad student at UWM, and having extensive electronics repair experience and certifications, I've decided to offer my services up on CL and it's been going quite well. Instead of just fixing one of the issues, I'll repair all three of the usuals and more: heatsink X-Clamp fix, Arctic Silver replacement, and reflowing of the solder joints. In addition, I charge nothing extra for the 12v fan upgrade and adding custom ducting. The way I see it, I'd rather make you happy than cut corners...might just get me a referral, right? Doing all five really is the BEST way to ensure you're not wasting your time and money. A little more background on yours truly; I am an A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, HP Certified Master Technician, and Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), as well as a former laptop repair business owner. I have been repairing various gaming consoles and laptops for the better part of my life. In short, yes I am a nerd. There are other people offering repair services for a bit cheaper, but you really do get what you pay for... and of course if for some reason your 360 is beyond repair, I can't charge you in good faith. No one really should...

Besides, you'll feel good about yourself knowing that you are helping to feed a graduate student. :-)

Drop me a line if you have any questions or would like references.

Thanks,
Rob
(414) 469-2041

STANMAN
11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
So I got mine back from the dude on the East Side. Really nice guy. Really smart. He charged me $50 but he put in custom ducting, and a better fan. Hopefully it'll stay running now and I won't have any other issues.

Here's his Craiglist ad if anyone needs to get in touch with him.

Oh no, it happened, you have become victim to the Xbox 360's dreaded E74 Error. I can help! A little background here... the E-74 error (3 red rings/freezing) is caused by an inadequate cooling design by MS (sorry guys). Although microsoft will repair the console, it is a huge pain in the ass and takes forever. Also if you happened to open your 360 for any reason, you're gonna have an uphill battle trying to get them to fix it along with $100. Worse yet, try getting a defective DVD drive repaired. Yikes.

So here's the deal. Being a poor grad student at UWM, and having extensive electronics repair experience and certifications, I've decided to offer my services up on CL and it's been going quite well. Instead of just fixing one of the issues, I'll repair all three of the usuals and more: heatsink X-Clamp fix, Arctic Silver replacement, and reflowing of the solder joints. In addition, I charge nothing extra for the 12v fan upgrade and adding custom ducting. The way I see it, I'd rather make you happy than cut corners...might just get me a referral, right? Doing all five really is the BEST way to ensure you're not wasting your time and money. A little more background on yours truly; I am an A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, HP Certified Master Technician, and Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), as well as a former laptop repair business owner. I have been repairing various gaming consoles and laptops for the better part of my life. In short, yes I am a nerd. There are other people offering repair services for a bit cheaper, but you really do get what you pay for... and of course if for some reason your 360 is beyond repair, I can't charge you in good faith. No one really should...

Besides, you'll feel good about yourself knowing that you are helping to feed a graduate student. :-)

Drop me a line if you have any questions or would like references.

Thanks,
Rob
(414) 469-2041

Did he pick it up, or did you have to take it to him?

07ROUSHSTG3
11-03-2009, 01:06 PM
from what i understand, the Elite systems have an update that should fix this problem?? i am hoping to pick one up tonight or tomorrow and was told to get an elite for this reason?!?!

Myles
11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
from what i understand, the Elite systems have an update that should fix this problem?? i am hoping to pick one up tonight or tomorrow and was told to get an elite for this reason?!?!

As long as it has the HDMI port built on (meaning ALL new units of the arcade, premium and elite) are "immune" to this issue. They have a better chipset (smaller nm design) to keep it cooler. They are still prone to other red ring issues but are far less likely to get them.

Exitspeed
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Did he pick it up, or did you have to take it to him?

I dropped it off by him.

theavenger333
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
As long as it has the HDMI port built on (meaning ALL new units of the arcade, premium and elite) are "immune" to this issue. They have a better chipset (smaller nm design) to keep it cooler. They are still prone to other red ring issues but are far less likely to get them.

unfortunatly they're still seeing high fail rates. mine is an HDMI unit, it went 5 years without troubles then it nuked. like you said though, they're slightly less likely.

Myles
11-03-2009, 02:29 PM
unfortunatly they're still seeing high fail rates. mine is an HDMI unit, it went 5 years without troubles then it nuked. like you said though, they're slightly less likely.

That one is most likely still the old nm style.

theavenger333
11-04-2009, 12:54 AM
That one is most likely still the old nm style.

false. mine is a complete lemon actually. i had it fixed 2 times by different people, and it fixed twice by my neighbor's buisness, and it still fails.

Myles
11-04-2009, 06:56 AM
false. mine is a complete lemon actually. i had it fixed 2 times by different people, and it fixed twice by my neighbor's buisness, and it still fails.

If it is the first gen its the old nm design.

theavenger333
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
it's not a first gen toolbag! remember i didn't get onto live with all your fruitcakes till Modern Warfare came out

Myles
11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
it's not a first gen toolbag! remember i didn't get onto live with all your fruitcakes till Modern Warfare came out

You said 5 years, that puts you in the old nm style. Unless you were exaggerating.

theavenger333
11-04-2009, 11:18 PM
me, exagerate? NEVAR!, i don't know the exact amount of time. it's a 2nd gen box though. i'm gonna ban your ass!