PDA

View Full Version : how to test an injector?

Yeehaw
10-29-2009, 10:23 PM
think i might have one going bad but the truck doesnt seem to miss just have this odd ticking noise from the left side of engine someone told me could be an injector?

FourEyedFord
10-30-2009, 04:18 PM
think i might have one going bad but the truck doesnt seem to miss just have this odd ticking noise from the left side of engine someone told me could be an injector?

The injection on a 7.3L is just loud, it took me two years to realize this. I always thought that certain injectors were getting louder and louder, but it was all in my head.

If you are worried, some basic things to check would be to make sure you don't have any up-pipe leaks. Second I would check to see how much fuel pressure you have. Lastly, if you know someone that has access to a really nice scan tool, do a cylinder contribution test and an injector buzz test.

If an injector is really on its way out though, the truck wouldn't run right. (Hard Starts, rough idle/running, smoke when there shouldn't be smoke)

Yeehaw
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
truck starts fine but it likes to smoke at idle....

FourEyedFord
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
truck starts fine but it likes to smoke at idle....

Ahhh. Could be an injector, but it could just as much be an injector O-ring. Doesn't the truck have A LOT of miles on it?

RanJer
10-31-2009, 06:07 PM
ahhh. Could be an injector, but it could just as much be an injector o-ring. Doesn't the truck have a lot of miles on it?

Yeehaw
10-31-2009, 06:18 PM
yea i was thinkin the smoke was just an o-ring....ill lose about a quart in about 2 weeks or so and its not leaking...but the truck has plenty of power so

FourEyedFord
10-31-2009, 06:56 PM
yea i was thinkin the smoke was just an o-ring....ill lose about a quart in about 2 weeks or so and its not leaking...but the truck has plenty of power so

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a serious injector issue then. The oil consumption could be from something not injection related with that many miles too. Depending on which o-ring fails on the injector, your crank case can fill with fuel, so just keep an eye on oil level. If you start to have any major issues the injectors are SIMPLE to pull out for service, and I can help you out. If you end up going that far, I would just upgrade to the stage 1s from Rosewood diesel. For $500 you can get a nice rebuilt set of injectors that flow a little less than double the fuel your stockers flow right now.

http://www.diy-injectors.com/

Yeehaw
11-01-2009, 10:40 AM
thanks bobby, i will prolly do it soon enough just cause i can, not worried a whole lot just checkin to make sure this thing will last me for awhile....but i suppose anything can break at anytime