PDA

View Full Version : when do you park it for the winter?

0TransAm0
10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
i just washed mine up and parked it in the garage for the winter.. so for me its today.. when do you plan on or when did you park your ride for the winter??

also what do you do to the car? i just washed it. battery stays in and its got about a half tank of gas... thats the way its staying till spring..

Waver
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Well I will park mine when I have a winter vehicle....last year the car really wasn't "parked" till end of december because that is when someone was available to help me get it over to where I was storing it....This year, shouldnt have that trouble.

Exitspeed
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
For me it was when I saw snow in the forecast and I knew salt was gonna be on the ground.

jbiscuit
10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
parked mine a few weeks ago. The weather was garbage at that point and yea there was a threat of some snow. If I kept mine here at the house I would keep driving it till the snow flies. Why not

xxtremeteam
10-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Parked mine 2 weeks ago

07ROUSHSTG3
10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
i put the roush away on sept. 26th and the fox body got put away on oct 10th.

looking forward to winter, even though i think el nino is going to fuck me, LOL! it is bittersweet for sure. this time of year sucks balls. no snow to play with and back to driving the milan or expedition everyday.

Waver
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
i put the roush away on sept. 26th and the fox body got put away on oct 10th.

looking forward to winter, even though i think el nino is going to fuck me, LOL! it is bittersweet for sure. this time of year sucks balls. no snow to play with and back to driving the milan or expedition everyday.

that is why I am glad I can store mine at my house....

PureSound15
10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
This past Saturday :(

It's sad to walk out into the garage and be hit with a wall of race gas fumes and not see her sittin there. I guess my car is like a cheap hooker... she's not around anymore, but I can still smell her.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
that is why I am glad I can store mine at my house....

i did that the first year i had it and will never do that again. always worried about bumping into it, or hitting it with my snowmobile, LOL! the roush goes up north and the fox went to a storage shed.

"out of sight, out of mind".

letsrunem
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
The last three times I drove mine I said it was going to be the last.. I just HAVE to drive it when it's nice out.

Waver
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
i did that the first year i had it and will never do that again. always worried about bumping into it, or hitting it with my snowmobile, LOL! the roush goes up north and the fox went to a storage shed.

"out of sight, out of mind".

tried to do that with mine last winter. It was over at my dads house in elm grove while he is down in florida....was over there every few weeks just to run it. I guess that scared my dads neighbors though lol.

Holeshot
10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Parked mine Sunday for the winter.

VroomPshhTsi
10-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Sold mine, don't have to worry about storing it this year lol.

johnny--2k
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
It will be driven till the first snowfall. Storage is the garage, so it doesnt have to go anywhere special!

michelle
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Got it in the basement on Sunday. ):

Reverend Cooper
10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
This past Saturday :(

It's sad to walk out into the garage and be hit with a wall of race gas fumes and not see her sittin there. I guess my car is like a cheap hooker... she's not around anymore, but I can still smell her.

Ditto,but at least My brother can send me pictures lol

Daytonapacecar959
10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Put it away Sunday.

Josepy
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Ditto,but at least My brother can send me pictures lol

HA Ryan can drive 20 miles to see his. :thumbsup

Putting mine away this weekend.

Reverend Cooper
10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm ok with that,Mines in very good hands. And if it were that close I would be tempted to drive it to soon in the salt.

Burgandy85SS
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Usually the day after Thanksgiving unless it snows or they lay salt before then.

PB86MCSS
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
One car is put away from home, so I have to plan around weather and schedules, usually the last or second to last weekend in October, this year it was last weekend. The other car stays in my garage so I try to drive it when I can until the salt is laid down, hopefully awhile yet. Each car I change the oil, clean up & cover, disconnect or remove battery, put in Sta-bil and at least half a tank of gas, some dryer sheets or dessicant bags in the interior and trunk. Whichever car stays at home I also manage to do some winter projects too.

Josepy
10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm ok with that,Mines in very good hands. And if it were that close I would be tempted to drive it to soon in the salt.

Your car doesn't even see rain if there is a slight chance for it. LOL

Reverend Cooper
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
yup that way its paint doesnt look like yours lol

77thor
10-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Mid-November.

TheRX7Project
10-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Soon. Usually right after the first snow.

SSLEVO
10-27-2009, 08:02 AM
i just washed mine up and parked it in the garage for the winter.. so for me its today.. when do you plan on or when did you park your ride for the winter??

also what do you do to the car? i just washed it. battery stays in and its got about a half tank of gas... thats the way its staying till spring..

You really should pull the battery out and put it in a warm place. Trickle charge once a month. As far as the gas, you should always have a full tank with fuel stabalizer. If you only have a half tank there is room for condensation to form, rusts the tank.

I also like to tape plastic over the exhaust pipes so nothing decides to make a nest inside, also maybe cover the air filter if it's exposed for the same reason.

If your tires are nice i would put the car up on jack stands to avoid flat spoting the tires. Some people say to put them under the suspension, some say let the suspension hang. I usually had a set of ols rims/tires i didn't care about so i put those on for the winter.

SSLEVO
10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Double post

JC70SS
10-27-2009, 08:08 AM
before first snow. And with el nino ts winter there will be a lot of rain so I will be able to drive it now and then:headbang

Slow Joe
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I think I'll do Nov 1 this year... Wash & Wax... Throw some stabil on the tank and put the "smart battery tender" on and leave it til next season... It's getting new tires then anyways, so no biggie no those... :rolf It stays here so... No biggie..

Josepy
10-27-2009, 08:58 AM
yup that way its paint doesnt look like yours lol

Yup absolutely perfect thanks to Ryan.

johnny--2k
10-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm driving mine today...top down on the way to work. The looks I got were priceless :D

Full tank, none of that stabil crap, it's not sitting that long. Battery tender, pshhht! Never had one, never had a problem in the past storing my S2 for 3 years with no prep other than a good wash and wax and a full tank. Maybe some dryer sheets inside to keep the critters out and cover the pipes, that's it!

84hurst
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
The Olds got put away a couple weeks ago already and the Camaro was put away.... geez... July I think :rolf

LIZMO
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
i will put mine away once its too cold to drive it(( i dont have heat)) or when it snows... i drove the car 2 winters ago and still no rust, since its got a undercoating on it, im not too worried about it rusting.

0TransAm0
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
You really should pull the battery out and put it in a warm place. Trickle charge once a month. As far as the gas, you should always have a full tank with fuel stabalizer. If you only have a half tank there is room for condensation to form, rusts the tank.

I also like to tape plastic over the exhaust pipes so nothing decides to make a nest inside, also maybe cover the air filter if it's exposed for the same reason.

If your tires are nice i would put the car up on jack stands to avoid flat spoting the tires. Some people say to put them under the suspension, some say let the suspension hang. I usually had a set of ols rims/tires i didn't care about so i put those on for the winter.

my garage is heated. and i leave the battery in because i will run the car about once every 2 weeks. as for gas.. if its nice tomorrow im going to fill it up. i usually put the stock wheels on with differant tires but this year im just leaven the good ones on. it will be on stands part of the time and get moved around this winter plenty.. i have plans to redo most of the suspension and get some other goodies. no flat spots for me..

Waver
10-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I know someone from the site parks their TA at my uncles warehouse in menasha, I might end up doing the same in the future

Reverend Cooper
10-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Yup absolutely perfect thanks to Ryan.

Perfect? Not even Ryan can work that miracle lol

kirks5oh
10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
my garages are heated. all cars on battery tenders, dryer sheets inside them. i start them every 3 weeks or so and let them run for 15 min. my cobra is parked on carpet, covered, with the tailpipes covered. the GTO is still parked outside, driven until it snows a couple times per week

07ROUSHSTG3
10-27-2009, 10:12 PM
you guys just reminded me i forgot the dryer sheets for the lx. damn it!!

SSLEVO
10-27-2009, 11:52 PM
It seems to me starting them every 2-3 weeks isn't any better. They are all pretty much dry starts after all the oil drains out of the top end. Either do it 10 times over the winter or once in the spring :confused