PDA

View Full Version : house cats

whistlin six
10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
So let me start off by saying I'm a dog person, had them all my life and have one right now.

I've always been indifferent to cats, I like the friendly ones but don't really care for cats that don't come near you.

Someone I know has a friendly cat that likes attention and she asked if I wanted to have the cat. I don't know, I'm actually cosidering taking it home if my dog gets along with it. The cat has co-exsisted with a dog before, but my dog has never been close to a cat.

So lets hear some opinions about cats, I know there are a lot of people who can't stand cats. Why all the hate?

kornholio788
10-24-2009, 12:25 PM
We have 2 cats(well my gf does I live with her) and her older cat loves attention. He will follow us around and lay in bed with us. And when you are sitting on the couh he will lay on you half way and chill with you. Fun cat.

Her other cat doesn't do that and is a little more skittish but gives the other cat someone to play with so that is good. I say go for it. I love having the cats around. Always fun.

Ricky Bobby
10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
i have 2 myself one will play with u and hang out and the other the female just avoids everyone until lately where she is more friendly than the younger male

they are fun i like them

Doc Brown
10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
So let me start off by saying I'm a dog person, had them all my life and have one right now.

I've always been indifferent to cats, I like the friendly ones but don't really care for cats that don't come near you.

Someone I know has a friendly cat that likes attention and she asked if I wanted to have the cat. I don't know, I'm actually cosidering taking it home if my dog gets along with it. The cat has co-exsisted with a dog before, but my dog has never been close to a cat.

So lets hear some opinions about cats, I know there are a lot of people who can't stand cats. Why all the hate?

If you're seriously considering it you have to set up a time for the two to meet and then gauge their interaction together.

I had a dog that targeted and terrorized my cats the first night he was here, and was returned the very next day for that reason. If your dog takes a particular interest in the cat upon first interaction, it might be a sign of trouble down the road.

In my experience cats offer about the most benign pet ownership experience possible, because they are relatively low maintenance and usually like to keep to themselves (ie. sleeping all the time). When they want affection they'll approach you and let you know, or at the very least won't shy away from you once it feels comfortable enough in its new environment.

At any rate, you should be able to predict pretty quick how things might be down the road by introducing the cat to your home before you commit.

LEWETHETIGER73
10-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Hope the cat dosen't destroy the furniture with claw/spray/or piss. Other then that I like them

michelle
10-25-2009, 07:04 AM
I love my cats. (:

We just picked up a Great Dane and one of the three cats absolutely scares this 70 pound puppy. It's hilarious.

But they are fun to have in the house. If they are friendly, they like to jump on your lap and be petted, which of course all these researches say relaxes you and is a stress relief. They'll find bugs for you, but mine never kill them or eat them, but most cats do - my cats rather play with them.

They are also nice because you can set them up and be gone for a weekend without having someone check on them. Especially with one cat you can probably go for more then a couple days as long as the food dish, water dish, and litter box are ready.

Does this cat have it's claws? Just be careful if it gives your dog a little smack on the head it doesn't scratch the dog's eyes. Mine are all 4-paw declawed, except one has their back claws (which isn't a big deal and I never feel them). One of my cats has just been hissing at this new puppy if she gets too close, but walks away if that doesn't work.

It may take a little bit for them to get familiar with each other. Have a good place for the cat to go if the dog gets to be too much (like a room with a baby gate or at least something high to jump on).

Howie and Oscar didn't get along at first and now they are best friends after a day or two of hissing.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs254.snc1/10133_574511209968_219700023_33830711_3204537_n.jp g