PDA

View Full Version : Problem with pet cats

LEWETHETIGER73
10-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Well the main problem is the fact they are cats for one thing, the other thing is they absolutly hate my leather furniture set. They look at it as their personal litter box. Their boxes can be completly cleaned with fresh litter but if the mood strikes they seem to want to go on the furniture. Now it isn't a weekly thing but its been enough were I would really like to consider getting rid of both of them. They have no front claws and they are indoor cats. I am thinking about allowing them out side now. We live out on the edge of east troy so I don't think that will be a problem.
And as far as cleaning the furniture goes, we clean in between the cushions with a water / vinegar mix. It seems to work pretty well at masking their smell, but I have no idea what keeps attracting them to doing it there. Any ideas.

Maybe some "accidental mishap" ideas :devil

michelle
10-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm just going to assume the part about letting them outside is just your frustration talking and that you wouldn't necessarily do such a thing because of the other information you provided (no front claws, indoor cats, you live in WI, etc.).

Anyways, this may be an inconvenience, but you can place a litter box near the furniture and as a week or a few days go by and it is used accurately, then you can move it farther away (like a few feet from the furniture).

Is there anything near their litter boxes that they may not like? Are they healthy cats? Do you know if both cats are going on the furniture or is it just one?

You can also get a spray called "Bitter Apple" at a store like Fleet Farm. It's mostly used to stop an animal from licking something, but my cats, ferrets, and dog do not like the smell so they will not go to the bathroom near it either. Animals typically smell around before they use the bathroom, so if they smell something unpleasant, then they won't go there (I don't even know if it smells horrible, so I wouldn't worry about it making your room smell bad).

The vinegar/water mixture is a good way to get rid of the smell, but you can also try going to a pet store and getting a different chemical that will get rid of the odor that the cats can still smell and would make them want to continue to use the same spot. Just ask one of the employees for a suggestion on a cleaner.

There is an "air freshener" that provides a calming smell (that people can't smell) that relaxes animals if they are going on the furniture because they are scared or stressed.

http://www.petco.com/product/10533/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-Feliway-for-Cats.aspx

That's all I have for now. We had one cat growing up that started to not use her litter box, but she was having health problems because of her old age.

HITMAN
10-24-2009, 12:17 AM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3592/catlarge.jpg

-stew-
10-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm just gonna say this: I'm a cat person. Inside a home, a cat is a pet; outside the home it is a target.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/102_0320.jpg

Holeshot
10-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Only question I have is did you but the furniture new or used. If it was used its possible the old owners had cats. Your cats may be marking their territory either out of stress, jealousy or something changed in a routine. Cats are very sensitive and marking is the first way to make the owner aware.

LEWETHETIGER73
10-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Well we bought this set new. The last set we had was almost the same style. we had to get rid of that due to the cats smell and the front claws. We just can't win. We have tried using car mats upside down to prevent them from going up but about a month later one of them walked on it and just stared right at me. I can just feel him mocking me at that point.

And other then the furniture thing I like cats I have no problem with them.

Car Guy
10-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm thinking out loud here; would the leather being animal hide have anything to do with it...??? Maybe the cat's ancestors lived on a farm and can somehow tell that a fellow farm friend was killed for our pleasure.....:goof

I'm just gonna say this: I'm a cat person. Inside a home, a cat is a pet; outside the home it is a target.

A cat person would not say that......:thumbsup

pOrk
10-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Those cats would both be dead if they pissed on my couch

CannotPost
10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
and just stared right at me. I can just feel him mocking me at that point.

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

OxmanWI
10-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Game of furry football anyone?

-stew-
10-24-2009, 10:45 AM
A cat person would not say that......:thumbsup

A sportsman/nature lover would. Ferrel and stray (what your cat becomes once it leaves your house) cats are brutal on local populations of small game, upland birds, song birds, ect, ect.

Turbo-Triumph
10-24-2009, 11:31 AM
i had a similar problem with my cats pooping in the stupid bath tub.

everytime i went to shower, ide have to scoop some poop.

how to stop it;

1st off, say "KITTEN!!!" (or your cats name) real loud..
2nd, run at the cat very angrily
3rd, grab cat up and run to the scene of the crime
4rth, yell at cat and push its face near the poo
5th, turn the faucet on (warm water) and put cat under the faucet, getting its head/back wet
6th, ask the cat what its problem is
7th, put cat down and yell a bit more
8th, clean poop

it takes some time for them to figure out exactly what your getting at, but after a while, they dont do it anymore.

and no, i am not an abusive animal owner.

HITMAN
10-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Well we bought this set new. The last set we had was almost the same style. we had to get rid of that due to the cats smell and the front claws. We just can't win. We have tried using car mats upside down to prevent them from going up but about a month later one of them walked on it and just stared right at me. I can just feel him mocking me at that point.

And other then the furniture thing I like cats I have no problem with them.

Car mats no, Scat Mats yes.
Scat Mat (http://www.safepetproducts.com/scat-mat-for-cats-and-dogs.html?gclid=CPe956Kv1p0CFQtN5Qod-yn8qw)

lordairgtar
10-25-2009, 01:42 AM
This one sentence bothers me

You will be amazed how quickly your cat or dog will get trained by the Scat Mat- and watching your pet get trained makes for fun for the whole family!