PDA

View Full Version : Plane flys past Mps, turns around over Eau Claire

SSLEVO
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33436497/ns/us_news-life

Oh shit, we missed the turn back there, whip a Uie, LOL

Time will tell if they were really fighting, you would be pretty stupid to lie about it knowing everything you do is recorded.

JaMichaels
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
lol... I love stories like this.. Not very easy to explain anything to the FAA without making retarded mistakes.. (Theories?) I say it was sleep. If I could set my car on auto-pilot and fall asleep i'd do it.

Nix
10-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I saw this on the news this morning while I was eating my rice Chex. Fucking idiots, we were in a heated discussion, blah blah blah.

They fell asleep, either that or they were engaging in some extra curricular activities which they don't want anyone to know about. :rolf :goof

SSLEVO
10-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm sure it gets boring after awhile, but for 2 of them to fuk up is too much.

SSLEVO
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33436497/ns/us_news-life

Update, they may have still been on the frequency from Denver so they didn't hear Mps. It seems they should have a better system than that if that's what happened.

jimez1
10-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Even if they were on the wrong frequency, if the controllers cannot get a hold of you by the third time, with no more than thirty seconds between calls the controller will use what is called an on guard frequency. That radio will do a blanket call over all the freqs. and it can never be turned off in the cockpit.

Prince Valiant
10-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Even if they were on the wrong frequency, if the controllers cannot get a hold of you by the third time, with no more than thirty seconds between calls the controller will use what is called an on guard frequency. That radio will do a blanket call over all the freqs. and it can never be turned off in the cockpit.

Gaurd frequency is 121.5 and is reserved for air emergencies. They can only hear if they have their radio tuned to 121.5, which is the frequency you usually tune to if not tuned to a specific tower and are en route. ATC will try to contact planes they can't contact on their normal frequency instead on 121.5 since since other pilot are asked to monitor communications on the gaurd channel so they can offer assistance should an emergency arise.

Air Traffic controllers CAN emit over several frequencies...I generally hear the ATC broadcasting over ground (121.7) and tower (120.5) for timmerman air space, but I don't think this ability allows them to cover all frequencies...they probably transmitted over their own tower and ground frequencies (it's not an uncommon error to confuse the two) as well as the gaurd frequency to no avail.

My personal opinion is that the pilots are probably being honest...face it, the excuse "having a heated discussion" doesn't make them look good either, since it does show that it distracted from the primary duty, piloting the airplane, and won't be viewed kindly by either the airline or the FAA. Also, assuming that there are a variety of recording sources that could possibly confirm this, I'd think they understand the only way to go about it is to be completely honest in confessing their error, because it's not a small one. Lying would only make it much much worse for them.