PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting the Swine flu shot ?

awsomeears
10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking about it because I meet so many people with my job and the shot is free.

Anyone else have advice on this Flue Shot thing :rolleyes:

07ROUSHSTG3
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
if i have the chance i will get it.

Prince Valiant
10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
In your position, I wouldn't worry too much. Though you come across many, you are normally in residential settings, which are relatively isolated when compared to schools or hospitals.

That's not to say you shouldn't get the shot though. If it's available to you, go for it. It's not a bad idea.

animal
10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Injecting myself with dead viruses by choice over some hype? Unless it's required by law, no thanks. Sniffles and a few coughs are easy enough to overcome.

Yooformula
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Injecting myself with dead viruses by choice over some hype? Unless it's required by law, no thanks. Sniffles and a few coughs are easy enough to overcome.

dont be so paranoid, enjoy the kool-aid. yeah its probably only a 1-10% chance of a reaction but would YOU want to be that 1-10%? The average person with brain cancers or tumors have a .045% chance of getting the tumor I had....after that ordeal, I dont want to be part of any statistic. No necessary risks for me please, I will stick with good old remedies for the FLU(clean hands, plenty of fluids/rest and a good diet).
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEN5KGwNGeo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEN5KGwNGeo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JC70SS
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
100% no!

xxtremeteam
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I got my h1n1 vaccine feel great I work in ahospital so I took it

animal
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I will stick with good old remedies for the FLU(clean hands, plenty of fluids/rest and a good diet

Heh, I stick to the old "let the immune system take care of it" trick. I tend to never rest or eat good anyways :devil

One thing I always noticed though, contrary to the lots of rest thing... strenuous excercise during an illness always made me recover faster.

4eyedstang
10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
no for me.
the whole rush to get this vaccine to market so fast make me question the risk vs reward.

i really don't understand all of the hype about h1n1. more babys drown in mop buckets then die by this glorified cold

Neal Steffek
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
add another no for me

Holeshot
10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Wife works at the VA She and I are both getting it.

JBs92Lude
10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
A few of my friends are CNA's in hospitals and have gotten the shot in the past few weeks with no side effects. I work in the pharmacy and we sell on a good day about 400 rx's, however so many people have the swine flu, we are dispensing at least 30-40 boxes of Tamiflu daily. (Tamiflu is the anti-viral used to help treat the symptoms of the swine flu). So H1N1 is definitely going around in the waukesha/milwaukee area. I disinfect, keep my hands away from my face, and use 70% ethyl alcohol often and have been coughed on and sneezed at multiple times by people who have had the swine flu. I have yet to get it. I am not going to get the shot, I don't feel the need. I don't think you really need it either, especially since you don't come in contact with many people. If it's free, it's up to you.

The only thing we may have a concern about is that doctors are prescribing Tamiflu for prevention, they aren't supposed to be doing that in the case that resistance develops. Sure, the swine flu won't kill the healthy, but for those who don't have as strong of immune systems, if Tamiflu and/or Relenza can't treat the symptoms due to a resistance, well those people have a greater possibility from dying from this virus.

With how fast the FDA approved the drug (should have been tested more extensively, since most drugs take years to be approved after they are created), and how quickly it was made in bulk. I am curious to see if there are any long term effects/recalls on the vaccine. Also one of the reasons why I am not going to get the shot.

Yooformula
10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
more people die every year from the normal flu, swine strand is hype imo. what exactly is the noticeable difference anyway? longer fever? more coughing? more aches? what exactly is it that makes this one stand out?

Prince Valiant
10-21-2009, 02:08 PM
With how fast the FDA approved the drug (should have been tested more extensively, since most drugs take years to be approved after they are created), and how quickly it was made in bulk..
The reason for how quickly vaccines like this are approved is fairly straightforward: It's simply because the "flu vaccine" has existed/been tested/proven for quite some time. When a "new" flu strain comes out, such as swine flu, all that is needed is production of dead or reduced strength viruses, thus allowing for the introduction into a new batch of an already proven vaccine.

Plum Crazy
10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Glenn Beck told me not to (lol)

PureSound15
10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I got my normal flu shot last week and have been miserably sick since then - I'm not taking the chance of going through this again.

That being said - if work provided it, I'd probably get it :(

Prince Valiant
10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
more people die every year from the normal flu, swine strand is hype imo. what exactly is the noticeable difference anyway? longer fever? more coughing? more aches? what exactly is it that makes this one stand out?the swine flu itself is no more potent than the normal flu...but, unlike the normal flu, it's not the virus that kills you, though it can. It's your body's response.

With the swine flu, it's the cytokine storm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm) that kills you. Swine flu certainly has a higher chance of causing this than the normal flu.

Of course, the real fear is due to the relative ease swine/avain flu mutations...here what I posted earlier on it:

Also, the flu in current form, while scary...it's not too virulent. What should be concerning though is it's ability to go from pig to bird. Since pigs can get both swine and bird flu, the fear is that a bird infected with bird flu will encounter a pig w/ swine flu, the pig picks up both within it's throat, and a mutation occurs. It's these mutations that'll likely prove deadly and virulent. This could happen next year, or 30 years from now. Or never. Who knows?

Even if a particularly virulent form hits, we now have medications to interrupt the body's overreaction to the flu, thus reducing the risk of death.

Of course, vaccines are can reduce the risk of catching, and if caught, reduce the severity/duration of the infection. I know some worry about vaccines...hell some complain of getting sick from the vaccine; but the vaccine is a dead virus...just like the flu, you mostly feel ill because of your body's response, not the actual virus (that might result in a sore throat, but again, that's a reaction to your body starting up the inflammatory response from the few cells the flu virus destroys). Your body sees the proteins and reacts as if it's a live virus (perhaps giving you a fever/ache/runny nose/stuffy head), but now it's ready and knows what the virus looks like for future encounters.

As well, we better understand flu transmission and steps we can take to avoid it. People don't live in as close quarters, travel more personally, etc.

It's best to prepare for the worst...but know that it probably won't be too bad.

See, it very difficult for humans to get avian flu...and when they do, they have a tough time transmitting it. Pigs, however, can get it fairly easy by comparison. Pigs get avian flu, while having some strains of swine flu, then this may lead to a mutation that makes an avian like flu very easy for humans to catch/transmit. Likewise, this mutation might occur when a bird catches swine flu as occurred in Canada (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ibUFynu7DFWEAO-KEdC9GUrQun6Q).

Believe me, the next pandemic isn't a question of "IF", it's certainly "WHEN". The when though could be this year, next year, next 10, or next 100...but at some point, we'll get hit by some form of swine/avian pandemic. But I also think we'll be better equipped to deal with it today or in the future too.

Prince Valiant
10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I got my normal flu shot last week and have been miserably sick since then - I'm not taking the chance of going through this again.
That's because aside from a sore throat, the flu-vaccine causes a normal flu like response (fever, muscle ache, stuffy/runny, cough, etc), as these are tools the body uses to help defeat the virus.

Now, another thing to consider is the possibility that you have a normal cold virus...different than the flu. Symptoms are similar, but vaccines have no cross effectiveness against it either. The current cold going around is particularly bad, with a common secondary bacterial infection accompanying it, causing prolonged illness.

JBs92Lude
10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
The reason for how quickly vaccines like this are approved is fairly straightforward: It's simply because the "flu vaccine" has existed/been tested/proven for quite some time. When a "new" flu strain comes out, such as swine flu, all that is needed is production of dead or reduced strength viruses, thus allowing for the introduction into a new batch of an already proven vaccine.

Ah yes, I suppose. I stand corrected. If I remember correctly, the H1N1 are two receptors on the flu virus of the 8 receptor spots therefore just being a more virulent strain of influenza???

88Nightmare
10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
My mother works at the airport with massive amounts of people all day long. Her employer (Air Tran Airways) paid for her to get a flu shot (not sure if it was just a regular flu shot, or the swine flu shot). She is doing just fine. Her only complaint was soreness in the arm for a day or two after she received it, which is normal. I do NOT plan to get one. I have never gotten a flu shot before, no reason to start now. I trust my immune system.

lordairgtar
10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEN5KGwNGeo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEN5KGwNGeo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I suppose it wouldn't be so tragic if the woman was ugly? Any way, I ain't getting the shots (H1N1 or regular). My doc is harping on me to get them, but I haven't had the flu since 1982 when I got so sick, I was out for three days. I showed up at some friends house and I could barely get out of my car. They put me in a bedroom and I woke up three days later. Haven't had the flu since.

Sprayaway Fox
10-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I have 2 friends with the H1N1 right now, when they went to the doctor they told them to drink tons of water and chicken noodle soup....Sound familiar? lol

I guess supposedly they said that if it gets bad enough which is really rare it will shut down your body.... Sound familiar?

The antidote to this makes kills your brain cells and makes you a veg or fucks with your muscles and thats coming from a doctor.....But hey at least you got your H1N1 gone.:rolleyes:

EDIT: DISCLAIMER.......... I AM NOT A DOCTOR, MY 2 FRIENDS THAT HAVE IT WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND THIS IS WHAT THEIR DOCTORS TOLD THEM TO DO. IF YOUR EXPIERENCING FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS YOU SHOULD CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.

Nix
10-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I suppose it wouldn't be so tragic if the woman was ugly?

Are you serious? Or are you kidding?

LIL EVO
10-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm sick as fuck (I never get sick), have been since Monday. Fever is bouncing from 103 - 99, bad cough, headache, dizziness, major chills (I have a winter hat on, hoodie, sweatpants, and two blankets on the couch)

I'm living on advil, day/nyquil gelcaps, and delsym. As soon as those wear off then I need to hold on for a ride cause I spike up to 103.

michelle
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping I have the opportunity to take it since I work with children with special needs most of the day. Plus even normal kids. They don't wash their hands near enough and each classroom was given a hand sanitizer dispenser. It became a toy for the 8th graders I work with, versus what it was intended for.

Plus so many students were absent today. I've been afraid to ask what the total number of absences have been lately.

0TransAm0
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
another NO for me.. and the fiance' that is preggers is also NOT getting it and NOT getting the regular flu shot as well.. the doctor kinda seemed mad that she turned it down.. but whatever its our kid and her life not the doctors..

Goat Roper
10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Our son Braden has enough underlying medical reasons for us all to get the vaccine. regular flu shot I got back in Sept.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
are you serious? Or are you kidding?

lol!!

on another note. i cannot wait to see how the first vaccination clinics go down by you guys tomorrow! anyone want to place a bet that there are mobs and rioting?

CATNHAT
10-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full.

HITMAN
10-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I'll get it. I get a regular flu shot every year and never have any adverse effects, so what the hell?

lordairgtar
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Are you serious? Or are you kidding?
what I meant was that the headline on the video makes it seem it's so tragic that someone as pretty as she is got disabled. They seem to say it's tragic a pretty person got a disability. Would there have been a news report had the person not been a tryout for a NFL cheerleading spot and maybe had been a frumpy housewife? It's terrible she got this disability, but they just push on the beauty part as if the rest of the populace who may not be "pretty" aren't important enough to rate a news segment.

u_say_go
10-22-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm sick as fuck (I never get sick), have been since Monday. Fever is bouncing from 103 - 99, bad cough, headache, dizziness, major chills (I have a winter hat on, hoodie, sweatpants, and two blankets on the couch)

I'm living on advil, day/nyquil gelcaps, and delsym. As soon as those wear off then I need to hold on for a ride cause I spike up to 103.

you need to get to the doctor and get tested asap. OTC meds wont help you, you need Tamaflu.

My 11 year old has H1N1 right now, it was confirmed last friday. This is wiped her OUT! Her symptoms were the same as yours.
The major reason they're making such a big deal out of the H1N1 is because it is spread easier than the common flu. The way it was explained to me is, the molecules of the virus are so fine, those masks wont even hold it back.

Whatever the hype, it's serious. I'm dealing with it with my daughter and I can tell you guys, it fuckin sucks!

SSLEVO
10-22-2009, 07:48 AM
you need to get to the doctor and get tested asap. OTC meds wont help you, you need Tamaflu.

My 11 year old has H1N1 right now, it was confirmed last friday. This is wiped her OUT! Her symptoms were the same as yours.
The major reason they're making such a big deal out of the H1N1 is because it is spread easier than the common flu. The way it was explained to me is, the molecules of the virus are so fine, those masks wont even hold it back.

Whatever the hype, it's serious. I'm dealing with it with my daughter and I can tell you guys, it fuckin sucks!

I thought i saw on the news they are not giving out tamaflu anymore to prevent the virus from mutating into a drug resistant strain???

Nix
10-22-2009, 07:53 AM
what I meant was that the headline on the video makes it seem it's so tragic that someone as pretty as she is got disabled. They seem to say it's tragic a pretty person got a disability. Would there have been a news report had the person not been a tryout for a NFL cheerleading spot and maybe had been a frumpy housewife? It's terrible she got this disability, but they just push on the beauty part as if the rest of the populace who may not be "pretty" aren't important enough to rate a news segment.

I understand where you are coming from and do agree. Otherwise I was gonna call you a fuck!! :thumbsup :goof

lordairgtar
10-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I've been called worse.:devil

Reverend Cooper
10-22-2009, 07:11 PM
No its just another way Obarfma can add another feather in his cap,see look what government run health care can do for your,this is no more than the Flu people,the gubment is just trumping it up more to make it look like Obarfma is great

subliminal1284
10-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Ive been sicker than that from the regular stomach flu :rolleyes:

u_say_go
10-22-2009, 08:03 PM

that's great

JBs92Lude
10-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I thought i saw on the news they are not giving out tamaflu anymore to prevent the virus from mutating into a drug resistant strain???

Tamiflu is still being dispensed in bulk. I work in a Walgreens pharmacy. Doctors are not supposed to give the once daily dosing of Tamiflu which is the preventative dose due to the worry that a resistance may develop. The twice daily dosing (a 5 days course) of the capsules are flying off the shelves. We are dispensing over 20 a day.

However, Tamiflu or the other anti-viral Relenza, work best when they are taken within 48 hours of the first signs of flu-like symptoms, after that they are not as effective in treating the symptoms of influenza. If you have the symptoms, go see a doctor right away.

HITMAN
10-23-2009, 01:06 AM

Wow, what an ass. That's the man's child, for fuck's sake. He's not supposed to be concerned because you've been sicker? To be sicker than described you must've been on death's door. Were you the recent victim of an IED? Gunshot wound? Stabbing? Poisoning? Ebola? Or, maybe you've been the victim of the world's worst yeast infection ...

Goat Roper
10-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I would love to send the whole family over to catch this and get it over with, let everybody be miserable for a few days together as opposed to everybody over the course of a few weeks...unfortunately with Braden that just won't happen. Yes, indeed it does wear you out but there have been far worse flu bugs than this in the last 20 years.

madmike
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Sure went to get shot and all they had was medical marijuana and no H1N1 vacine, so you can get sick, sit back and put the DOOBIE Brothers on!!

4eyedstang
10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x201/nettletond/4tworb.jpg

xxtremeteam
10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/xxtremeteam/swineflu.jpg

GTSLOW
10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
dont be so paranoid, enjoy the kool-aid. yeah its probably only a 1-10% chance of a reaction but would YOU want to be that 1-10%? The average person with brain cancers or tumors have a .045% chance of getting the tumor I had....after that ordeal, I dont want to be part of any statistic. No necessary risks for me please, I will stick with good old remedies for the FLU(clean hands, plenty of fluids/rest and a good diet).

Wow that fucking sucks!!!!

07ROUSHSTG3
10-23-2009, 11:29 AM
my wife works at a clinic and they are at Pandemic Level II. the whole clinic is like a prison now. walls were erected and guards escort people where they need to go. nobody is allowed in unless they have a reason to be there.

shit is gonna get crazy, LOL!

animal
10-23-2009, 01:14 PM
They had breaking news at lunchtime on the new channel entitled "Swine flu emergency" :rolf

If standing in the rain for vaccines is an emergency, i'd hate to see what an actual outbreak would become. The power of media is underestimated.

I'm just waiting to see riots over it like for the free "flood money" last summer.

FTR i'm sick right now too, and the only thing it's effecting is my rock band singing voice :goof

wrencher
10-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I want to take a vacciation that the producers of have legal immunity from it's effects. :rolf
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Non-food/Miscellaneous/200820090722_legal_immunity_set_for_swine_flu_vacc ine_makers.html
http://www.nowpublic.com/health/legal-immunity-set-swine-flu-vaccine-makers
http://www.scribd.com/doc/18935963/Legal-Immunity-Set-for-Swine-Flu-Vaccine-Makers
Search it.... it's out there.
if you do have a problem with a vaccination you dont have a leg to stand on legally.
I wont take it ever........

Yooformula
10-24-2009, 06:55 PM
this is some scary shit to think about....

"Prior to October 1, 1988, if you or your child were injured by a childhood vaccine you were allowed to file a lawsuit against a vaccine manufacturer to receive compensation.

Because of such lawsuits, vaccines turned out to be a costly venture for pharmaceutical companies, who threatened to pull out of the vaccine business altogether.

This led to the creation of The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP), the so-called “vaccine court.” This program has boosted vaccine sales growth immensely since its induction, largely because manufacturers now have zero liability for the products they produce.

If your child becomes seriously injured or dies after receiving a childhood vaccine, the vaccine maker is completely shielded from liability. Even if you’re actually awarded compensation through NVICP, it is the taxpayers who pay, NOT the vaccine makers.

But that was for childhood vaccines.

What we’re looking at now is the complete removal of liability for so-called pandemic vaccines, all adjuvants, and antiviral medications such as Tamiflu and Relenza.

In fact, ANY product used to fight "an epidemic" is protected under this law, and the government decides what drugs fit the bill. guess you know why the media is hyping this flu so hard.

It is a blatant demonstration of just how powerful the corporate drug interests have become. Indeed, with the largest political lobby in Congress, their influence is so great they have been able to manipulate numerous laws that now insulate them from any responsibility in harming or killing people in their relentless drive to earn profits, without regard to human health or well-being."

ND4SPD
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
I am, because I'm a first responder/healthcare provider so if I don't get it, I'm pretty much guaranteed to end up with H1N1 at some point. Not that I'm worried about dying from it, but I don't really feel like blowing sick time and/or getting my family sick.

Prince Valiant
10-24-2009, 08:19 PM
...in their relentless drive to earn profits, without regard to human health or well-being.
Problem with that theory is that vaccines aren't that profitable (http://www.vaccineethics.org/issue_briefs/industry.php). (<<linked to U of Penn center of bioethics)

Don't get me wrong...I'm against mandatory vaccinations on individual liberty grounds (there are limits to individual liberty though). But your quibble isn't with "corporate drug interest," but with that of a gov't that see's it's duty in mandating vaccines. Now, don't get me wrong...it's not that corporations don't mind legislation that helps them, but they wouldn't be able to push their interest on a congress that viewed the gov't as having limited powers, rather than all encompassing powers.

The larger the role that gov't sees for itself, the greater the reward for corporations to "push their interest."