PDA

View Full Version : Are turbo's the answer?

Gregor
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I have been dealing with an exhaust problem for about 5 months now. I went out and picked up a set of clean gt40P heads for my 1965 Mustang. Thinking that I could get some cheap HP out of them. I was very wrong, and in hindsight should have never bolted them on. Too, many problems with headers. Tri-Y, long tubes, and many other performance headers wont fit because of the "rake" of the #5 primary and the fact the plugs damn near stick straight out.

But a set of stock exhaust manifolds will, and the funny part is I can flip them the exhaust collector is pointing forward and still have access to the plugs. Hmm, I thought what about a cross over pipe leading to a single turbo or even twin turbo. I have the forged pistons and boost would be low somewhere like 6~9 psi. This would be intercooled. And I have a line on a set of 2 IHI turbo from a TC or a Holset from a 5.9 Cummins.

So far I have a few parts that might work. For fuel I have Holley Blue pump. Will that handle the extra fuel needed under boost? I have 3/8-AN6 fuel lines, Fram hp1 filter and a sumped tank.

For intake I have a Weiand Stealth intake and Holley 600. The carb would have to be ebayed and a C&S blow thru swapped in. I have the stock SD cam out of an 87 Mustang and of course those rotten GT40P heads. Not milled so I think my CR is around 9.3:1. I have the .041 head gaskets. If pushed I have a GT40 intake and EFI parts are easy as hell to come by.

Here are the stock manifolds

http://www.cjponyparts.com/exhaust-manifold-small-block-1964-1970/p/EXM3/

Thanks for any input on this. Would this fail or does it look like I could pull it off?

DurtyKurty
10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Turbos are always the answer. :)

As to the GT-40p's, yes the spark plug angle is a pain but they are a decent flowing stock head (http://www.eecanalyzer.net/tech/docs/HeadFlow.gif)

I did the Twin IHI thing (http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rgIYZTqpQ8U/SHwJo_R68BI/AAAAAAAAAC8/CxJc1ZLt_Sk/s800/Picture%20103.jpg). Don't do it. Explore the Holset thing a little further.

Engine management is a personal choice. They both work. Pick the one your the most comfortable with.

juicedimpss
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
you will need wayyyy more fuel system gregor.
you will be looking at spending somewhere in the area of 1000 on pump,lines and regulator,and close to the same on a carb,along with another few hundred on the bonnet.(i have a EV pro bonnet for sale if you are interested)

you could still build a set of headers that fit.

-stew-
10-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Or you could buy headers for P heads. Or you could look on corral.net, as the topic of header fitment on P heads has been discussed a bajillion times. Or you could try putting factory Explorer headers on. Lotsa options.

Gregor
10-20-2009, 11:58 AM
They dont make a set of "p" headers for a '65. I have like 3 inches from the heads to the shock towers. "P" headers work but extending the primary out to clear the plugs. Like the BBK and Mac. Tri-Y headers are fine till you hit the cylinder 5 plug. It is smack in the middle of the primary.

The flow on a explorer manifold is way more restritive than the manifolds linked above.

Ron- I figured you would say that about the fuel, and the carb that is why I posted it hoping you would talk some sence into me. Before I got dreams of grandure. You have seen what I am working with. The cost of custom headers even homemade are the same as a set of good heads. And then I could just buy better heads and get cheap headers. And have better performace than just a set of average heads and performance headers.

juicedimpss
10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Ron- I figured you would say that about the fuel, and the carb that is why I posted it hoping you would talk some sence into me. Before I got dreams of grandure. You have seen what I am working with. The cost of custom headers even homemade are the same as a set of good heads. And then I could just buy better heads and get cheap headers. And have better performace than just a set of average heads and performance headers.

with that being said,spend the 1k you would spend on the headers on the fuel system. :D

DRK
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
They dont make a set of "p" headers for a '65. I have like 3 inches from the heads to the shock towers. "P" headers work but extending the primary out to clear the plugs. Like the BBK and Mac. Tri-Y headers are fine till you hit the cylinder 5 plug. It is smack in the middle of the primary.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm

or find a old set of CCM GT40P tri Ys

Gregor
10-20-2009, 07:12 PM
or find a old set of CCM GT40P tri Ys

I would have a better chance hitting the lotto. Will look at the link you posted.

LIZMO
10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
yes :)

DRK
10-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Will look at the link you posted.

I have a set of 1 3/4 FPAs on my 66 and they fit excellent. I opted for the slip fits and welded on v-bands though as I didn't like either options offered. I also have Canfields, a TCP R&P, and a cable clutch, so they're a different design for what it's worth.
You could also just cut up a set super comps or whatever and make something that fits. Bends are fairly cheap and you have a welder IIRC.:headbang

Gregor
10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I tried the cutting up an old set and it worked like crap. I contacted the link posted and when money becomes available I am going to go that route. So for now I am going to make the best of the manifolds and bend up some 2.25” exhaust pipe.

Gregor
02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
After a few beers I welded and cut up a set of the old headers to make a set that fit. I know now why header builders get a preimum for their work. Alot of thought has to go into the routing and lenght of the headers.

I will be going turbo in the future. Just with a diffrent block and head package.

I was thinking as I was cutting (more like hacking) up the headers of my new engine build. something that will get me into the high 10s.

1969 351W block
AFR 186 heads
victor intake bunged for EFI
8:1 compression
86mm turbo
built C4

Of course this is a ways away yet but its nice to dream of a faster car. I think that this is solid combo for 10 secs.

70 cutlass 442
02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
you dont need half the parts listed to go high 10s.....

there is a guy going high 9s on a factory long blocked with a single 76MM off a BG turbo header set.

BAD LS1
02-18-2010, 08:04 PM
+1 for Turbo's. My favorite power adder i dabbled with to date. Nitrous is the close second.

Turbo's are for people with patience, a brain for tuning and whoever can deal with a lack of instantaneous hit that all motor or blowers provide. If you can't deal with any of the 3 listed, they aren't for you.

WhatsADSM
02-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Skip the IHIs too small of a turbine (well and compressor to some extent). A large holset would work pretty well tho.