PDA

View Full Version : General car/forum question

EastSider
10-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know much of anything about cars, (learning fast) but is there a forum on here for Plymouths/older plymouths? I just inherited one and I want to learn more about it.

Thanks

Adam

84hurst
10-18-2009, 10:58 PM
What do you have? There's a few guys on here familar with the older mopars. Ask and you shall recieve!

EastSider
10-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Just inherited a 70 plymouth Road Runner. My cousin is getting me the details. I have never heard of this type of car untill now. I guess it has not run in 10 years and has just been sitting in storage. I am planning on trying to get it running and sell it in the spring after getting an appraisal or some idea what it is worth. I would sell it now but from what I can tell most people around here only drive these type of cars in the Summer.

84hurst
10-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Just inherited a 70 plymouth Road Runner. My cousin is getting me the details. I have never heard of this type of car untill now. I guess it has not run in 10 years and has just been sitting in storage. I am planning on trying to get it running and sell it in the spring after getting an appraisal or some idea what it is worth. I would sell it now but from what I can tell most people around here only drive these type of cars in the Summer.

Very true, a car like that will only see seasonal driving, but there are a couple guys here that can help you out getting it running and driving. The Road Runner was a helluva car back in the day, especially when equipped with a hemi or 440. Definately a true example of the muscle car era. Give this thread a day or two and I'm sure you'll get a couple positive replies. I'd offer but I'm not too familiar with the older mopars. BTW, when you can, post pics!

97z2801ss
10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Yea I see the prince chimming in soon! GET PICS OR DIE! id love to see what youve inherited

EastSider
10-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Pics or die? Not a nice thing to say to someone who Inherited something. I have not even seen it yet. I go to do the legal stuff tomorrow.

84hurst
10-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Yea I see the prince chimming in soon! GET PICS OR DIE! id love to see what youve inherited

Yup, him or moparjim I'm thinkin will jump on this thread soon!

84hurst
10-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Pics or die? Not a nice thing to say to someone who Inherited something. I have not even seen it yet. I go to do the legal stuff tomorrow.

Ummm, pretty sure he's just joking! We just want to see pics, that's all. It is a muscle car forun after all.

EastSider
10-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Ummm, pretty sure he's just joking! We just want to see pics, that's all. It is a muscle car forun after all.

Funny? someone close to me dies and he/she says that and I should laugh. Guess I just don't find that funny

84hurst
10-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Funny? someone close to me dies and he/she says that and I should laugh. Guess I just don't find that funny

Dude, it wasn't a joke on you or your family (btw, I know, it sucks when family dies, I've been through it), we're just interested in your car, that's all. Cool?

EastSider
10-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Dude, it wasn't a joke on you or your family (btw, I know, it sucks when family dies, I've been through it), we're just interested in your car, that's all. Cool?

Appology would be nice but thats nothing ill lose sleep over. I should get to see the car soon

Car Guy
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
There is only one thing you need here on BCM and that is thick skin, aka don't take anything personal. It's hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic but 99% of the time that's the case......

Irish
10-19-2009, 08:25 AM

STANMAN
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
The 70 Roadrunner was still the "B" body car that everyone desires, second only to the "E" body cars (70-74 Challengers and Cuda's) for most Mopar enthusiasts. When you go up and look at it, get the VIN and run it, it should tell you just about everything you need to know about the car. Mopars had rust issues (well, more than most cars from that era anyway), the easiest place to look is in the trunk, as if the car has rust issues, you will see it there 1st. Stick cars will be more collectible than auto cars, although the autos in old Mopars (727's at least) are what some consider the strongest factory auto you could have back then. I mean they put it behind the Hemi, it's stout to be sure. If it's a stick car it will be an A833, also a very stout unit.

Sorry to hear about you getting into cars in this fashion, it's hard to loose someone close to you, and prayers to you and your family for your loss, but welcome to the family.

TransAm12sec
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Give Dave Salvaggio a call. He does some high dollar Mopar stuff, and would be a great resource.

He's not in Grafton anymore, but leases the shop where Aloha used to be in Port Washington. Probably a 30 minute drive from the east side.

810 Maritime Dr
Port Washington, WI 53074

http://www.perfectionautosport.com/news/
http://www.perfectionautosport.com/
262-377-7201

http://www.perfectionautosport.com/media/Affluent_Page_250-334.jpg

EastSider
10-19-2009, 10:19 AM
There is only one thing you need here on BCM and that is thick skin, aka don't take anything personal. It's hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic but 99% of the time that's the case......

No big deal I am use to rude people. Thanks for all the info guys/gals

JaMichaels
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
He wasn't rude, it's internet lingo. It's a term used frequently on forums with no intention of a pun or wanting anyone to die.

BTW, sell it to someone in your family that will appreciate the car, you sounding so eager to just let it go after a dusting and appraisal conflicts with how touchy you are about his passing. Keep his prized stored Road Runner around, one day you'll regret letting it go.

BR3W CITY
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Give Dave Salvaggio a call. He does some high dollar Mopar stuff, and would be a great resource.

He's not in Grafton anymore, but leases the shop where Aloha used to be in Port Washington. Probably a 30 minute drive from the east side.

810 Maritime Dr
Port Washington, WI 53074

http://www.perfectionautosport.com/news/
http://www.perfectionautosport.com/
262-377-7201

http://www.perfectionautosport.com/media/Affluent_Page_250-334.jpg
The shop was renamed Perfection Autosport for a brief period (year or 2), but a partner in the shop left to start a marketing firm. Im not sure what it goes by now..
Oh and I did the design for that ad, small world.

Prince Valiant
10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Sad that there had to be a loss in the family to get the car, but congrats on having one of the more desireable cars out there.

Okay, quick run down to build on what Bob said earlier:

The roadrunner was an invention (or at least he claims credit for it) of Brock Yates, old editor in chief of "Car and Driver" Magazine. His idea was to take a plain jane mid-size car with few to no options, but put a hot engine/drivetrain in it, so kids just getting out of HS could easily afford it.

He was a little disappointed with the final product...not so much the drivetrain, price, car...but that they went through the effort to "spruce" it up with the "roadrunner" from the warner bros' cartoons. He felt that it cheapened his hardcore vision....he especially disliked one of the roadrunner's most unique feature...that the horn actually recreates the sound of the roadrunner (to some, it might sound broken...but that's actually what they were going for).

The first roadrunner was a 1968. You could get either the 383 "Coyote Duster" engine, or a 426 Hemi. Either were paired with the 833 manual, or 727 auto. 383's were paired with an 8 3/4 rear end with either 3.23, 3.55, or 3.90 axle ratio (other ratio's could be had from the dealer) and "sure-grip" differential. Hemi's were backed by the indestructible Dana 60 rear end, with either 3.54's or 4.11's with the "sure-grip."

The 383 "coyote duster" was a special engine...significantly different than the typical 383 found in other mopars of the time. Using the same heads (larger valves) and cam from the 440, they were quite a bit more aggressive than the typical 330hp 383 that you got in station wagons. Despite the aggressive heads/cam with hi-po dual point ignition, the HP rating only went up another 5HP to 335hp total...but this is a little less than actual. Considering the same heads/cam/exhaust/carb of the 375hp 440, 350hp for the 383 is perhaps a little more accurate. The extremely short stroke of the big bore 383 means it can breathe and rev...give it a proper cam, and that engine could easily pull off 7,000+ rpm shifts safely.

The 426 are legendary. Should you have a 426 (probably don't), even a rusted out crap car would be worth 50G. At 425 underrated hp, there were few cars from the factory that matched it's ability.

The first 440 you could get in a road runner came along for the 69 1/2 model year...you could get a "6 pack", which was a plymouth name only...Dodges were 6bbl. 390hp, but very underrated, many considered the 440 6 packs a better car for the street and dragstrips than even the 426hemi's. One of the first stock cars tested by magazines (and the first of the mid-sized "muscle cars", IE, not a cobra or corvette) to hit the 12's bone-stock was a 69 1/2 road runner, at 12.98 @ 111.66 mph. 440's six pack were backed with Dana 60's from the factory as well. The six pack cars also brought with it lift off fiberglass hoods with 4 pins holding it down.

for pricing, this is a basic rundown of what I typically see:

Fair condition, auto 383 will command around 22-25G
Good/excellent auto/manual 383's should pull in up to 35-40G.
Fair condition 6 pack cars should pull up to 42G.
Excellent 6 pack cars, 60-100G.
Hemi's a minimum of 50G. Fair, 70-80G. Excellent, 125 on up to 500G.

Any questions, or need help getting it running/etc, don't hestitate to ask. If you decide to sell it, I know some of the best avenues to sell it yourself.

Prince Valiant
10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Oh, and by the way:

Old (or even new) plymouths, Chryslers, Dodges are routinely called "Mopars" as that was the name of their parts division. You can also include Desoto's, and newer jeeps onto that list. Some even include old American Motor Corporation (AMC's) into the list of "mopars" as well.

Prince Valiant
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh, and since drag times are important for old school muscle cars, a couple times to give you an idea (sourced from either Car and driver or Drag Racing Magazine):

68 383 Road Runner, 4 speed manual, 3.55 gears: 15.0 @ 96mph
68 383 Road Runner, Auto, 3.55 gears: 14.04 @ 99.5mph
68 426 Hemi Road Runner, 3.54 gears: 13.54 @ 106mph
69 440 6-pack Road Runner, 4.11 gears: 12.98 @ 111mph
70 440 6-pack Road Runner, 4.11 gears: 13.47 @ 106mph.

TransAm12sec
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
The shop was renamed Perfection Autosport for a brief period (year or 2), but a partner in the shop left to start a marketing firm. Im not sure what it goes by now..
Oh and I did the design for that ad, small world.

I assume it's called Salvaggio Auto design; I normally just refer to Dave Salvaggio himself.

MurphysLaw88GT
10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I got my 68 Coronet the same way.

lordairgtar
10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't be something if East Sider wound up with a Hemi car?

CPonyGo
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
or Brandon as a name

EastSider
10-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Rude is rude internet or not. I just am not much of a car person (heck I hang out at this is it bar if that tells you anything, I rather see someone with it who wants it. My cousin is the closest to a car person in the family and he does not want it cause of the situation. I have a person coming with me to get it running. My cousin left me a Voice mail said it is in great shape from a body stand point. No rust, it is stick with a 440 plus 6 ( wouldnt that make it 446?) and something about it being a rare Bird type. I still have to do more research.
THanks for your help

He wasn't rude, it's internet lingo. It's a term used frequently on forums with no intention of a pun or wanting anyone to die.

BTW, sell it to someone in your family that will appreciate the car, you sounding so eager to just let it go after a dusting and appraisal conflicts with how touchy you are about his passing. Keep his prized stored Road Runner around, one day you'll regret letting it go.

84hurst
10-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Rude is rude internet or not. I just am not much of a car person (heck I hang out at this is it bar if that tells you anything, I rather see someone with it who wants it. My cousin is the closest to a car person in the family and he does not want it cause of the situation. I have a person coming with me to get it running. My cousin left me a Voice mail said it is in great shape from a body stand point. No rust, it is stick with a 440 plus 6 ( wouldnt that make it 446?) and something about it being a rare Bird type. I still have to do more research.
THanks for your help

What you have is the 440 big block engine with the 6 pack (which means 3 2 barrel carbuerators), a valuble combo. I'm not sure I'd be willing to get rid of it so quick. I'd put some $ into it getting it running and enjoy it. Even if you are not a car person, once you get behind the wheel of it you'll understand what the muscle car is all about and have fun with it.

Nix
10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
THanks for your help

Sorry to hear about your loss.

It sounds to me like you have a very valuable piece of American Muscle history in your posession. Either keep it and enjoy it or get it appraised and throw it up on ebay. Do your reasearch and make sure you know EXCATLY what you are selling before you "give it away". Again, pics once you get a chance would be sweet. This sounds like another awesome "barn find" and it should maybe be added to the list. :)

JaMichaels
10-19-2009, 10:07 PM
I think this is bs.. Don't really know why.. Just can't phatom this actually happening.. He'd have to be the only nephew, his father passed, and the uncle having no other relatives for a nephew to end up with his stored classic bird... Or this guy had a massive collection and all the kids and family members got something. Just too bizarre.

lordairgtar
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Not necessarily. I've seen this happen before.

84hurst
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
You never know, its not common but it is possible. Those ''barn finds'' are out there. He may have came across one.

TheRX7Project
10-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Even if you are not a car person, once you get behind the wheel of it you'll understand what the muscle car is all about and have fun with it.

Quoted for truth.

pOrk
10-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Is this your FIRST time on the internet? Holy shit son. You must not have been that close to the person who died if you have never seen the car. I'll give you a grand for it if you quit your bitching about " internet rudeness " and untwist your panties.

Waiting for an apology? L O fucking L

Welcome to the forum, quit your crying and post the asking price if your just trying to make money off your dead family members. Otherwise restore the car and drive the F out of it.

Irish
10-20-2009, 07:50 AM

madmike
10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
THanks for your help

Hey Eastsider, that is a rare Road Runner so you want to keep it all original, its worth more that way. If you need to replace anything use Mopar parts

Here is a starting link> http://www.herbsparts.com/

but PM me or some of the other Mopar guys on here and I will hook you up, maybe buy that RR from you too.