PDA

View Full Version : Rode in a real muscle car tonight!

Prince Valiant
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Rode in joe's 1970 Chevelle 454SS....

What a sweet car. For those that haven't cruised around in one of the premeire muscle cars, what a treat this is. At every light, every eye was fixed on us...this car most certianly does not fit the typical shape of what's currently on the hwy.

The car's tone right now is a little on the overmuffled side. It seems that the origninal owner like to do some long distant drive in this beast and muffled it accordingly. It is downright docile sounding, and according to joe, that will only be a temporary predicament.

The gears are also more suited to a high speed, easy going vehicle. To give you an idea of how long legged this thing is currently, we correlated the RPM in first gear to the speed we were traveling. Get this: In 1st gear (a 4speed manual), traveling at 35mph the engine was only turning over 3200 RPM!!!! :wow Reving this thing up to 6500 in first would net you 70+mph :wow

While the guy who sold it to joe claimed 3.08's, I honestly wouldn't be suprised if 2.73's came out of that thing.

What a smooth ride though....didn't feel a bump once while out on the hwy in the thing. And with it's high gears and thus low rpm's and being overmuffled it was sometimes hard to tell if the thing was even running...which proved to be a problem.

You see, as we went down the road, I noticed that the manual choke on the thing wasn't fully off. So as I reached to check it, the bracket (which is striped btw) let go causing the choke to close, and thus causing the car to stall...as we coasted down the road, both joe and I looked at each other wondering "Is it on?". Proved not to be of course, but was an easy matter to get started again. While it's easy to leave the choke partially on with it's current switch, no reaching for the choke anymore.

Joe was kind enough just to run it up just a bit...from the seat-o-pants meter it seemed to feel like a low/mid 14 second car in it's current trim...very respectable considering it's gears. Could be more though considering the gears gave a different feel during acceleration

We did run into a black LS1 formula as we came down the road and one could tell the guy was eager to race, what with the downshifting and all. After a little egging on by the ls1, joe pulled a downshift to second while we were at 35mph and got on it for a bit (keep in mind this was before checking how fast joe could go in each gear) and of course...the LS1 pulled the 454 with the three guys in it, but not by all that much...honestly I wouldn't have been suprised by losing by more based on the seats of the pants feel up to that point. Had joe known that he could have used first from that speed, it might have had at least a more interesting outcome...alas, joe has plenty of time to find out what the current set-up can do. Thought it was funny that the guy continued to try and run joe again and again.

Prince Valiant
04-28-2004, 11:27 PM
cont'd

Ampther interesting effect that this car has is that EVERYONE slows down around you...whether it be ricers, stangs, camaro's or an old duster. They seem to be like kids seeing how they measure up to the big man on the street.

This car is really such a nice car...and is so very close to being set performance wise. The only real issue affecting his car currently is that it is not an optimized combo. Namely, single plane intake with mechanical carbs don't do to well with tall gearing and manual trans. Feels like a good set of 3.73's would work wonders on this thing without changing much else.

If I had to take it further performance wise at least, I think a good set of eddy small chamber heads to up the compression and flow, maybe with a eddy performer rpm manifold(he could keep what he's got without much downside), a nice 232-238 duration @ .050 cam, and a good tuning of the current carb to go with the 3.73's and that would be a very righteous car capable of easy cruising, mid 12's et's in the close to 110, all while looking very cool while doing so :shades

Cryptic
04-28-2004, 11:29 PM
*1st grader voice* My turn, My turn!

Yooformula
04-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Sounds nice!! Thanks for the write up Doc!

jbiscuit
04-29-2004, 08:41 AM
wow very cool.....where did he find this thing? That had to be a big dollar car. What color is it?

animal
04-29-2004, 08:54 AM
A friend of mine has a 69 chevelle SS only it's got a .040 over 454 in it and 4.11's. It is still the car by which I compare any other car. That neck snapping whiplash causing quick torque is like nothing else. There are faster cars of course, but I've found they feel more like they just suck you back in the seat instead of leaving your neck in shambles every time the gas toe gets a little antsy. He used to run a muncie close ratio but it broke :wtf so he put in a modified and gone through t-56 in it. Nothing like cruising at 80mph with 4.11's and 1800rpm :banana

Btw Chris, that crower cam spec you recommended is dead on as far as everyone I talked to about it and my combo. Thanks again.

JC70SS
04-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Chris thanks for the cool write up! I guess I have my car finally after wanting one after 8 yrs. It is not a show car yet, but it will be worked on this summer slowly. Yeah that LS1 edged us out when we were in the wrong gear, but been there done that and it sounded like ASS. Now I need my new mufflers :rockwoot: Jason the car is hugger orange with blk deck stripes.

BAD LS1
04-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah nice write up chris....your writeup on mine was GHAY compared to this !!! :thumbsup