PDA

View Full Version : snaped a spark plug off need options

easytoremember
10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
97 Dodge Ram. Customer blew up the old engine, swapping in a used one. Went to change plugs today. Snapped on off.... bad. No room to get anything on the part stuck in the head. Here's my thoughts...

1. I noticed this plug is a champion, the others are Bosch plugs. So that tells me the guy who had this engine before had problems getting this plug out, said screw it and only changed 7.

So...

1.) I rip out the engine take it back to the yard and say hey you gave me an engine with a broken spark plug, get a new engine

2.) rip off the head drill out the old plug.

3.) drill out the plug with the head still on, rig up something that screws into the plug hole that'll vacuumm out the shavings

4.) drill a small hole into the piece of plug left, not all the way through through, but enough that'll allow me to get an easy out in there.

I like option 4 best. Problem though is if the previous owner had a problem wiith this plug then who's to say the engine is still good?

0TransAm0
10-17-2009, 08:44 PM
how about you tell the owner about it and give him the options and let him pick. after all it is HIS truck...

just a thought. i hope your telling him either way.

zerepdivad
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah i'd tell him what happened. But if it were me i'd take it back and get another one. A lot less hassle. If that was like that who knows what else could be wrong with the slut.

easytoremember
10-17-2009, 08:56 PM
yea ill tell em hes getting a deal on this anyway, its his plow truck doesn't really care much about it but enough to fix it.

Yooformula
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I would call the yard that you got it from and see what their response is before moving forward. I would drill the bitch out with the head still on and use an easy out.

-stew-
10-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Heat whats left of the plug (the steel part) glowing red, quench with water till its cold to the touch. Repeat three times. Use a four sided extractor. "E-z outs" are threaded and tapered, they screw in and expand the broken item in the bore it already is seized in creating a bond stronger than the e-z out, causing the e-z out to break.

easytoremember
10-17-2009, 10:50 PM
wow thats a good point about the ez outs causing a tighter bond.... the part thats left is mostly ceramic though, i'll post pics later tomorrow
Z

-stew-
10-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Also you could try heating the plug as I described, and using a very sharp chisel to turn the plug out.

spooln30
10-17-2009, 11:03 PM
That motor has issues just take it back. Plain and simple. I wouldn't even put this much effort into it. Take it back!!

Coops Brother
10-18-2009, 12:14 AM
start the engine up and the ceramic piece will pop out, heat up around the plug and use a 4 sided ez out to remove it. done it dozens of times on rotted out plugs on plow trucks, never had to pull off the head, don't be afraid

Plum Crazy
10-18-2009, 10:29 AM
pulling the head off a 5.2/5.9 isnt that bad, probably take 2-3 hrs if you dont run into any other problems.