xxtremeteam
10-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Just heard that on the news

07ROUSHSTG3
10-15-2009, 08:19 AM
probably a wise move.

CannotPost
10-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Bummer.... Does that mean my Buell is a collector item now ? ;)

xFullThrottlex
10-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Wow, that caught me off guard. I thought they would be around for a long time especially after the 1125r was brought to market. I guess that's the end of the American sportbike.

juicedimpss
10-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, that caught me off guard. I thought they would be around for a long time especially after the 1125r was brought to market. I guess that's the end of the American sportbike.

thats another bike that "never took off",much like the v-rod.
sad to say,i think those two bikes (1125r and v-rod)are prob the best engineered and well built bikes by Buell/HD

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
This sucks for my uncle 18+ years at Buell in R&D. He's been working there since Erik needed a machinist in his garage. :Stare

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Why is Harley-Davidson discontinuing Buell after the recent new product introductions, racing success and new brand efforts?
The Company made the decision to discontinue the Buell product line as part of its strategy to focus on growth through the Harley-Davidson brand.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure there's more to it that we know.

CannotPost
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
oops double post.

deuceWI
10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
:( That sucks

They finally come out with a bike with a decent motor (1125R) and now they have to go away. I was hoping that within a couple years they'd figure out how to hide those hideous radiators better, and if they did I would have been down at the dealer in a flash.

Does Buell leaving mean HD will become even more stagnant in their R&D?

xFullThrottlex
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
sad to say,i think those two bikes (1125r and v-rod)are prob the best engineered and well built bikes by Buell/HD

quoted for truth.:headbang

kornholio788
10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't know much about the performance about the bikes. But they are just ugly imo. Sucks though for people losing out on their jobs.

WhatsADSM
10-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Too bad.. Buell was the most technologically innovative part of that company for sure. Definately sad to hear :(

BoosTT
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Sad to hear no doubt, but I think it was long since coming. Buell never had a brand loyal following, the bikes didn't measure-up and didn't really fit into a class (all were oddballs)... atleast untill very recently. They are going to be a novlity item now. I actually somewhat liked the new machine a lot, but when you compare it to something else, hmmm...

juicedimpss
10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Sad to hear no doubt, but I think it was long since coming. Buell never had a brand loyal following, the bikes didn't measure-up and didn't really fit into a class (all were oddballs)... atleast untill very recently. They are going to be a novlity item now. I actually somewhat liked the new machine a lot, but when you compare it to something else, hmmm...

I agree.They had a bike that couldnt compete with 600cc import bikes,and it cost quite a bit more.tough to build a sportbike (that generally appeals to a younger demographic) and expect to sell it for Harley Davidson-like $$$

-stew-
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM

Not to start a shit storm, but the 1125r is powered by a Rotax motor, and wasn't the v-rod motor designed and build in Europe? By Porche?

And as a side note Buel/HD was pumping HUGE amounts of money to the AMA. Enough money that the AMA overlooked equally huge rule infractions by Buel. Winning a championship is easy when you don't have to follow the rules everyone else does.

It sucks to see another local company go down. I wonder Iif Eric Buel will be able to take his stake in the company and continue building bikes "in his garage" so to speak. That would be cool. Give them back some of the uniqueness and character they had before he got in bed with HD.

juicedimpss
10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Not to start a shit storm, but the 1125r is powered by a Rotax motor, and wasn't the v-rod motor designed and build in Europe? By Porche?
Correct.and i believe both are the best engine from each of the companies.(buell/hd)

And as a side note Buel/HD was pumping HUGE amounts of money to the AMA. Enough money that the AMA overlooked equally huge rule infractions by Buel. Winning a championship is easy when you don't have to follow the rules everyone else does.
yes,Thats the only way the Vrod was competitive in NHRA prostock as well

-stew-
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Correct.and i believe both are the best engine from each of the companies.(buell/hd)

I look at is those engines aren't from each of the companies, since they are not built in house. The V-Rod might be the best Harley ever made, but it isn't the best bike Harley ever made. Make sense?

juicedimpss
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I look at is those engines aren't from each of the companies, since they are not built in house. The V-Rod might be the best Harley ever made, but it isn't the best bike Harley ever made. Make sense?

that is the reason the vrod is a flop for sure.the HD diehards are reluctant to have a HD that doesnt look like an old school HD
go pushrod,air cooled vtwin power.
lol

wrath
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
There was an article in the newspaper about how great Buell was just a few months ago.

Another one bites the dust. Someday HD will learn that in order to have a cult brand like Apple you have to deliver. On something. Otherwise the only thing you'll need to build for your dying clientele are tombstones.

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 11:56 AM

Please explain.

-stew-
10-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Please explain.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/buy-buell-1125rr-race-bike/

Motor Cyclist had a good article in this months issue explaining it. I can't find that online, though. AMA Superbike racing is supposed to start with a showroom stock, street legal, publicly available bike. The bike Buel used was not the publicly available, show room stock, street legal floor model.

CannotPost
10-15-2009, 01:40 PM

And as a side note Buel /HD was pumping HUGE amounts of money to the AMA. Enough money that the AMA overlooked equally huge rule infractions by Buel. Winning a championship is easy when you don't have to follow the rules everyone else does.

It sucks to see another local company go down. I wonder Iif Eric Buel will be able to take his stake in the company and continue building bikes "in his garage" so to speak. That would be cool. Give them back some of the uniqueness and character they had before he got in bed with HD.

Motor Cyclist had a good article in this months issue explaining it. I can't find that online, though. AMA Superbike racing is supposed to start with a showroom stock, street legal, publicly available bike. The bike Buel used was not the publicly available, show room stock, street legal floor model.

BUELL

PORSCHE

:alcoholic

Troutman
10-15-2009, 02:04 PM
i have worked for Buell for almost 7 years. i never realized how fortunate i was to work with so many talented people, in an amazing industry until today. to think of what we...200 people in a small town did was truly amazing....taking on the big japanese companies that employ thousands. its really sad because we were so close to putting ourselves on the map and then this happens...barely a month removed from winning the AMA Daytona sportbike championship. (the first time in 30+years by an American company). Say what you will about the AMA and the rules. But what it comes down to is a small number of AMERICANS building an AMERICAN product that competed..and won. not to mention finishing 6,7,8,12 in the final 2 SUPERBIKE races of the year. (there is alot more to this than people know...all they hear is 1125cc vs 600cc.)

this was by far the best place anyone could ask to work for. we were a small family, we knew everyones first name, and we knew about everyones family. i would be fortunate to work for another company that is half of what Buell is.

as for where i go now..who knows. Chances are very slim that will be able to find work in the same industry. i'll end up working in a cubical, working on some simple product, counting the seconds until 5.
i'll always cherish the time i spent and Buell, and the part i played in what we accomplished...it was an honor working with everyone involved

Exitspeed
10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
^
Damn sorry to hear that man. Good luck and I hope you find something good.

The liked the CR over-all but the front scoop thingies and the exhaust killed it. Those are an easy fix though. Maybe I'll pick up a used one now down the road.

Flicktitty
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
i have worked for Buell for almost 7 years. i never realized how fortunate i was to work with so many talented people, in an amazing industry until today. to think of what we...200 people in a small town did was truly amazing....taking on the big japanese companies that employ thousands. its really sad because we were so close to putting ourselves on the map and then this happens...barely a month removed from winning the AMA Daytona sportbike championship. (the first time in 30+years by an American company). Say what you will about the AMA and the rules. But what it comes down to is a small number of AMERICANS building an AMERICAN product that competed..and won. not to mention finishing 6,7,8,12 in the final 2 SUPERBIKE races of the year. (there is alot more to this than people know...all they hear is 1125cc vs 600cc.)

this was by far the best place anyone could ask to work for. we were a small family, we knew everyones first name, and we knew about everyones family. i would be fortunate to work for another company that is half of what Buell is.

as for where i go now..who knows. Chances are very slim that will be able to find work in the same industry. i'll end up working in a cubical, working on some simple product, counting the seconds until 5.
i'll always cherish the time i spent and Buell, and the part i played in what we accomplished...it was an honor working with everyone involved

Sorry to hear that Todd, when i heard they were shutting there doors i rememberd you working there. I hope everything goes well for you.

pOrk
10-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Harley just can't go fast. The 1125R was an extremely well balanced bike but it couldn't compete, just like most other Harley Davidson machines can't.

Sucks to see even more people out of work.

lordairgtar
10-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I really feel for you. I work for Custom Wire Industries and we supplied your battery cables and ground straps and even did some one off stuff for the racing bikes. I really enjoyed being a part of that.:thumbsup

Rocket Power
10-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I rode my friends XB9 and I liked it, was kind of weird riding a bike so short in length, felt like I was sitting on the handelbars:rolf

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 05:58 PM

You work at the factory?

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 06:01 PM

That's like reading a liberal article on CNN. But believe what you want. Buell will live on forever in hearts of true Americans :goof

Troutman
10-15-2009, 06:01 PM
You work at the factory?

styling dept. you said your uncle has been there for 18 years? that has to be Henry, Tommy or Dan?

-stew-
10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Troutman, sorry to hear you are out of a job. You seem to take great pride in what you do. Take that passion with you to your next job and you'll do fine.

Nan, how does the link parallel CNN liberalism? Buell was running a motor 525CCs bigger than its Japanese competition, and 225 CCs bigger then the Euro's

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
styling dept. you said your uncle has been there for 18 years? that has to be Henry, Tommy or Dan?

Tim, he'll have been with Buell for 20 years in February. Was talking with him today.

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Nan, how does the link parallel CNN liberalism? Buell was running a motor 525CCs bigger than its Japanese competition, and 225 CCs bigger then the Euro's

How exactly did they buy out the AMA or bypass the infraction? I dunno, I'm sure my opinion is bias due to the Buell heritage in my family.

SSmike1
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
my Brother is Tim Mlinar!
he is a silly goose!
:goof

SSmike1
10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
no, its Tim Mlinar.
he started with Eric when he was in the garage in Mukwanago.
:)

supra213
10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
They are selling MV Augusta as well!!!! They just bought them last year! Horrible for Buell, but this sounds like bad news might be coming for HD as well

SSmike1
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
there is a Big difference between
a 4 cylinder 19,000 RPM motor,
and
a 2 cylinder 8,000 rpm motor.

the 2 cylinder should have 700 more CC's
to keep up with the rpm difference.

The direct relationship to HP,
is CC's = Displacment
and the RPM's turned.

example,
500cc turning 20,000 rpms
will equal
1000CC turning 10,000 rpms.

the same ammount of air will be Pumped through both motors.

GTSLOW
10-15-2009, 09:48 PM
^^ There we go.

TransAm12sec
10-16-2009, 12:00 AM
So a guy gets laid off from Harley, starts his own company, gets bought out by the company he was laid off from, then the company closes it. It's an odd story.

Troutman
10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Tim, he'll have been with Buell for 20 years in February. Was talking with him today.

my Brother is Tim Mlinar!
he is a silly goose!
:goof

no, its Tim Mlinar.
he started with Eric when he was in the garage in Mukwanago.
:)

Timmay! i never realized he was there that long. hes a real good guy..little out there with all the guns, but a good guy. hes helped me here and there with some machining when ive been in a bind

lilws6
10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
:( That sucks

They finally come out with a bike with a decent motor (1125R) and now they have to go away. I was hoping that within a couple years they'd figure out how to hide those hideous radiators better, and if they did I would have been down at the dealer in a flash.

Does Buell leaving mean HD will become even more stagnant in their R&D?

They acually were planing that for 2011 the 125 was supose to have a redesigned exhaust and underseat radiator to get rid of the PODs in the front. I'm not a huge buell fan as none of them really fit me but its sad to see them go. I have friends with buells and they love em. Acually all of them were on the news on fox 6 at hals!

Josepy
10-16-2009, 11:01 AM
They acually were planing taht for 2011 the 125 was supose to have a redesigned exhaust and underdeat radiator to get rid of the PODs in the front. I'm not a huge buell fan as none of them really fit me buyt its sad to see them go. I have friends with buells and they love em. Acually all of them were on the news on fox 6 at hals!

I thought I typed for shit. :rolf

lilws6
10-16-2009, 11:05 AM
yea i don't really pay attention. i dont' have spell check lol

Exitspeed
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Can I ask in all honesty why those vents in the front of the 1125cr had to be so big and ugly? Have you seen any good examples of people getting rid of those?

pOrk
10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
and

is CC's = Displacment
and the RPM's turned.

example,
will equal

Suzuki wasn't racing their TL1000R's with the 600 CC sport bikes back in 1998. Those bikes could have damn near kept up with the 1125, and they were designed 12 years ago. :alcoholic

-stew-
10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Honda wasn't out there with RC51's either.

lilws6
10-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Can I ask in all honesty why those vents in the front of the 1125cr had to be so big and ugly? Have you seen any good examples of people getting rid of those?

those pods direct the air to the radiators to cool it since this was there first liquid cool buell. they had plans of changing that i've been told. If you remove them you would have to find some place to put the radiators

GTSLOW
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Suzuki wasn't racing their TL1000R's with the 600 CC sport bikes back in 1998. Those bikes could have damn near kept up with the 1125, and they were designed 12 years ago. :alcoholic

Liberal motor cycle riders I tell ya. You'd think people would support American brands in a time like this. :wooo :stare

Japanese brands = millions of research and what not.

Buell = true American motor cycle that owned the AMA without all that bs.

-stew-
10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
^^^how truely American can a motorcycle be when its motor was designed and assembled in Austria, by an Austrian company? Buell skirted the homoligation rules for no reason other than to built a "competative" bike it would have never sold due to cost.

Honda designed, built, and competed with a V4 motorcycle that had oval pistons and 8 valves per cylinder. And they sold it for the street with the same waranty as any other bike on the floor.

The flag waving by HD owners is utter BS. Walk into a HD dealer, pick up 20 items off the shelf; I'd bet at best 3 are made in the USA.

GRAMPS SS
10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
sorry to hear Todd...hopefully something will come your way..your very talented....we need to do lunch ...i'll make time for it..we'll take Ron with us and snapper

i gueass the shirts i made are collectables...

Exitspeed
10-17-2009, 11:43 AM
those pods direct the air to the radiators to cool it since this was there first liquid cool buell. they had plans of changing that i've been told. If you remove them you would have to find some place to put the radiators

If they didn't stick out so far past the fork tubes and they were more streamline looking they wouldn't be bad. They are just ruining the bike for me.

lordairgtar
10-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I was digging around on this and I believe the problem of Buell closing can be traced to Doyle's shenanigans. The HD company, the Museum, and Buell used to be on their own books. Since combined book keeping instituted by the state, meaning all three are combined as far as books are concerned, this caused the taxes paid by HD to actually increase. They couldn't get a tax break any more if one of these was in the red. Not saying what was in the red, but I'm assuming HD and the museum. If combined and they show an actual profit combined, they gotta pay more tax. I wish there was a way to try and keep Buell viable. Maybe employee buy out? Selling to another manufacturer?

lilws6
10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
If they didn't stick out so far past the fork tubes and they were more streamline looking they wouldn't be bad. They are just ruining the bike for me.

they do bug me as well. i wish i could have seen what the new ones were supposed to look like with out them

GTSLOW
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/blast/#

lol

70 cutlass 442
10-19-2009, 05:26 AM
and

is CC's = Displacment
and the RPM's turned.

example,
will equal

This is the same concept that the AMA allowed for years when four strokes got big in MX, 250 four strokes would run with the 125 2 strokes.

juicedimpss
10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/blast/#

lol

that was a huge mistake by buell IMO.

im sure the badgering about one of your own creations does alot for your customer..:goof

juicedimpss
10-19-2009, 10:58 AM
on a side note,we sold the last of our buells since the announcement.

SSLEVO
10-19-2009, 11:13 AM

Honda ran their RC-51 1000cc V-twin in AMA Superbike, thats right, with the inline-4 liter bikes. They did quite well actually, thats what Nicky Hayden rode to an AMA superbike championship in 02. Moving to MotoGP the next year.

Also on the rev ranges of the two different bikes:

The 1125 looks to redline around 11k, not 8k like said before.

Most 600's will rev out to about 17k, not 19k like said above.

I'm sad to see them go, but you can't really say it was a GREAT, championship winning motorcycle.

-stew-
10-19-2009, 11:35 AM
I stand corrected. Honda's 1000cc v-twin was racing against 1000cc inline 4's. They shoulda ran them with the 600's, they really coulda cleaned up!

SSLEVO
10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I stand corrected. Honda's 1000cc v-twin was racing against 1000cc inline 4's. They shoulda ran them with the 600's, they really coulda cleaned up!

Yeah i know, it wasn't anything personal, just stating that it was doable back then. I think the RC-51 also makes about 140 hp like the 1125 does 8 years later:)

-stew-
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
^^ But Honda has all that money for research and what not. HD/Buell is still five guys with $78 between them, working out of a shed. :rolleyes:

GTSLOW
10-19-2009, 05:49 PM
:rolleyes:

-stew-
10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
A succesful marketing campaign is more important the to higher ups at HD that a racing success. HD is becoming less of a motorcycle manufacturer and more of a "brand." Just an emblem to put on some trinket made in china. Its a shame, too. The company has such a rich history, and it's become a mockery of what it once was.

GTSLOW
10-19-2009, 06:42 PM
What does the AMA stand for?

-stew-
10-19-2009, 07:16 PM
OK, I'll play a long. (Actually I like where this is going.)

AMA stands American Motorcycle Association.

Next question.

GTSLOW
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
OK, I'll play a long. (Actually I like where this is going.)

Well if you know I'm right then why play along. You know what I was going to say.

Liberals I tell ya. :rolf

-stew-
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Your patriotism is flawed CPT America! The buell that "owned" the AMA (I'll get into how flawed that statment is later) has an Austrian motor! And wtf makes you think I'm a liberal? You're the one playing the role of the lefty by ignoring facts and basing your whole arguement on your feelings.

BTW, where was your car built?

WickedSix
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
crap todd....... i just heard about it up here..... just sucks ass that it got killed with everything coming down the pipeline.....f-ing HD

GTSLOW
10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Your patriotism is flawed CPT America! The buell that "owned" the AMA (I'll get into how flawed that statment is later) has an Austrian motor! And wtf makes you think I'm a liberal? You're the one playing the role of the lefty by ignoring facts and basing your whole arguement on your feelings.

BTW, where was your car built?

:rolf I'm only rattling your cage.

All I'm saying is you should support an american made motor cycle. Besides where is a majority of the bike made and assemble? :thumbsup

-stew-
10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I'll buy an American bike when they make one that is competitevly priced, performs well and is in line with my tastes. Until then, I'll ride a ZRX. A green one.

lilws6
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I've heard from a few guys that have both Harley's and buells. there having a ride down to the plant i believe monday. and one of the guys coming down said he wanted to go down t the harley museum and burn his harley jacket. Thats how pissed off at harley some of these people are. I for one was just starting to like the 1125's minus those pods on the side they could look real nice. Even tho they are dirt cheap right now i still can't afford one

Exitspeed
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I've heard from a few guys that have both Harley's and buells. there having a ride down to the plant i believe monday. and one of the guys coming down said he wanted to go down t the harley museum and burn his harley jacket. Thats how pissed off at harley some of these people are. I for one was just starting to like the 1125's minus those pods on the side they could look real nice. Even tho they are dirt cheap right now i still can't afford one

How much are they used? I actually don't know a lot about them but think they look like a good platform to make a real modern cafe.

SSLEVO
10-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I think the 1125's are still 7-8k for a used one. Not cheap by any means.

Exitspeed
10-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Sweet I found this!
http://www.eskalation.de/grafik/eskalation_1125cr.jpg

MUCH better. I'm gonna look into this bike some more.

WickedSix
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
^^^ thats looks to be a 1125CR without the clubman bars...i like the air pod correction they have there..i wonder if the reversed the fans to flow out as well..

lilws6
10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
hals has one yellow r left for 6999 and there full faring one for 7999 was just there yesterday i think they have a cr left too