PDA

View Full Version : Six year old gets 45 days for cub scout utensil

CPonyGo
10-13-2009, 08:29 AM
6 yr old gets 45 day in reform school (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/10/12/decide-school-utensil-knife-suspended-zachary-christie/?test=latestnews)

For wanting to use his new Cub Scout utensil at his lunch time......:wooo

y2kws6
10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Wow, I believe that the school did go too far, BUT a 6 year old cub scout is not allowed to have a knife at this stage yet either. The parents should have thought of that before allowing him to even have the tool.
The can and should be a zero tolerance on things, but unless he took the knife out he should just have had it taken away and told the parents about it.

Dan
Wolf cubscout leader

DRK
10-13-2009, 09:15 AM
There is no common sense in America anymore.

Want_Notch
10-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Well shit I think they should execute the little bastard......

Irish
10-13-2009, 09:38 AM

CPonyGo
10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Dan- I agree..I have 2 grand kids in and my son is asst leader in both dens for both boys and I was a big in scouts....weather they are allowed or not doesn't matter...really- every proud Dad is going to go out buy their son all the scout cool stuff..;) But 5 days suspension- 45 days in an alternative school for wanting to eat with his new found utensil...and another girl was suspended for bring a birthday cake to share and there was a cake knife to cut and serve.....I know you agree- just wanted to add to it...:)

PureSound15
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
We were just talking about this at work today. Definitely proves the one size does not fit all.

subliminal1284
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I believe the knife on the utensil they were talking about is just like a butter knife. I could make a more deadly weapon out of pencils.

At my first day at high school in Florida I had my back pack on and a teacher comes up to me telling me she has to take my back pack because they arent allowed in the school, I ask why and she said because I could hide guns in it so I said you know I could just as easily fit handguns and possibly even an uzi in my binder dont you? The look on her face was priceless.

lordairgtar
10-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I believe the knife on the utensil they were talking about is just like a butter knife. I could make a more deadly weapon out of pencils.

At my first day at high school in Florida I had my back pack on and a teacher comes up to me telling me she has to take my back pack because they arent allowed in the school, I ask why and she said because I could hide guns in it so I said you know I could just as easily fit handguns and possibly even an uzi in my binder dont you? The look on her face was priceless.
ha! True, I saw the interview with the kid and they showed the knife, it was one of those multi-use ones with a spoon, fork and the knife part would be like what you would find on a three inch folding whittling knife. But still...c'mon, aren't the rules and regs a bit too much? I carried a jack knife all through grade school, all the boys did. Hell, when I was living in a small 150 population town in Illinois, the ag kids drove their pick up trucks to school with hunting rifles in the rear window.

subliminal1284
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
ha! True, I saw the interview with the kid and they showed the knife, it was one of those multi-use ones with a spoon, fork and the knife part would be like what you would find on a three inch folding whittling knife. But still...c'mon, aren't the rules and regs a bit too much? I carried a jack knife all through grade school, all the boys did. Hell, when I was living in a small 150 population town in Illinois, the ag kids drove their pick up trucks to school with hunting rifles in the rear window.

Yup and if someone did try anything one of those good ole boys would of gone and grabbed their own gun and ended the situation quickly. :rolf

Reverend Cooper
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
i went to school with my cub scout knife attached to my belt,wow how times have changed

HP ADDICT
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes times have changed. 6 is a little young for the parents to be giving him a knife though. The kid should have had it taken away and returned to his parents. They should be told they are idiots for allowing thier six year old to take it to school.

badass88gt
10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Its hardly a knife. I guess it could spread melted butter. I see no big deal in this, the school is retarded. They should have confiscated it and sent it home at the end of the day, or the parent could pick it up, and end of situation right there. Here is the kit.

http://www.troop85unionnj.org/clip_image009.jpg

Cryptic
10-14-2009, 03:48 PM
There is no common sense in America anymore.
X2

I send my kid to school with a bowie knife to sharpen his pencils.

Al
10-14-2009, 04:26 PM
The news just said that his suspension was dropped due to public outcry.