PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Help Please!!!

loud91rs
10-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Well I messed up really good. I was doing a transmission filter on a 02 explorer 4wd and everything was going fine. Got it all sealed up, and went to put atf in and couldn't find the dipstick. Went online to find out there isn't one and found what looked like to be a picture of a fill hole. Well me being used to manual transmissions that you can fill on the side, took out what I figured was a fill hole bolt. I fucked up royally and took out a band adjuster(don't ask me what I was thinking) and now it won't shift into 1st manually, so my guess is that the band is now no longer right(probably at the bottom of the pan.) How screwed am I now? From what I'm thinking the trans will probably have to be pulled and completely gone through now. Any input is greatly appreciated.

portponies
10-11-2009, 08:03 PM
You might be able to get at the band adjuster if you remove the pan. Sometimes you can. Do you have the A4LD trans in there?

loud91rs
10-11-2009, 08:06 PM
It's the 5 speed 5r55w trans. I hope you can get to it...this could get really really expensive and ugly otherwise.

loud91rs
10-11-2009, 08:07 PM
My guess is though that since the band adjuster was threaded out, the band is probably lying at the bottom of the pan.

portponies
10-11-2009, 09:19 PM
My guess is though that since the band adjuster was threaded out, the band is probably lying at the bottom of the pan.

The band probably shifted, and I'm guessing the "wedge" that tightens it is not where it's supposed to be.

Either way, good luck.

loud91rs
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Well turns out I got super lucky and the band didn't slip down, it got wedged in place somehow, so it was a simple redo the band adjusters and good to go. Thanks for your help though!

portponies
10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Glad it worked out.

wikked
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Go buy a lottery ticket now.