PDA

View Full Version : Wolves

Silver03SRT
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I had a wolf in on my stand last weekend? Whats your take on them? Shoot them or no? I hunt in Clam Lake and not only do they eat a lot of deer they are killing a lot of the elk. I am not going to shoot them but wish I could.

UnderPSI
10-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't shoot them. There is more than enough deer to go around.

Al
10-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I never saw one other than at the zoo.

Can you hear them howl at night?

theavenger333
10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
i'm right by you, Radisson. there are some around, more then ever according to numbers, and from what farmers in the area say. i still wouldn't shoot them, besides, isn't is still illegal to shoot wolves? coyotes you can kill for the hell of it, but i thought wolves were a nono still

That_Guy
10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
the neighboring property .."not to far from you" he had shot 2 wolves.. and the dnr trapped 3 on his property. the wolves where eating all his calf's.. the guys at the bar say gut shot them..or throw bacon grease soaked spunges out for them to eat and clogg up there system.. i saw a small pack of 3 of them when i was out hiking this summer.. i let them go im not willing to lose my privileges over something that eats 2 deer month. but that doesn't im a fan of them.. id just rather have somebody else take the fall

DirtyMax
10-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I have seen a wolf/wolves on our property(near Crivitz) about 3 different times since the first time in 2002. Being an avid coyote hunter, I know the difference. This is on top of the countless tracks I see in our sandhill.

I would just leave them be but a lot of the townies say they will/have shot them in the guts so they go off and die. Bragging about that isnt the brightest idea IMO though... never know who's listening.

And yes, wolves are still off-limits.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-09-2009, 08:36 PM
never seen one, however have seen tracks through my yard at my place in tomahawk. my buddies saw one while sledding by hurley, actually were able to hit the thing with a snowball, LOL! the locals say to shoot them, but if you get caught, it is big trouble. they are all over the place. they are down here too beleive it or not. really sucks to hear about them affecting the elk population though, i hope they do something before the elk get wiped out.

on another note, my buddy, who lives in tomahawk, tells me there was a moose sighting a couple weeks ago!! that is cool!

GTSLOW
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I live sort of outside of madison and hear either wolves or coyotes every night when I leave the window open. I'd love to kill one of those howling bastards.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I live sort of outside of madison and hear either wolves or coyotes every night when I leave the window open. I'd love to kill one of those howling bastards.

if they are yotes, have at it!

SmokinRAM114
10-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Gut shoot them n be on ur way.. I hunt coyote fun stuff we chase with hounds n head em off at the next road. I have some good storys

HITMAN
10-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Why is it that the smartest species on the planet is so stupid as to ascribe human rationale to a dumb beast?

I'm hardly some PETA wannabe, but why in the fuck would you gut shoot a wolf? To me, anyone that would do this isn't any better than those cocksuckers that ran over and tortured those deer with their snowmobiles last year. Inhumane treatment of an animal is just as low as you can go. It ranks right in there with infant abuse, because neither one of them knows why it is being tortured.

A wolf doesn't know what a pain in the ass you think it is. Do you really think that it gets the concept of crime and punishment? It isn't malicious, it doesn't do what it does to spite the humans it hunts near, it's just a stupid animal that does what it does because that what wolves have done for hundreds of thousands of years. They are pack hunters, and they eat when they are hungry. If it looks like a meal then they hunt it. Period. No more thought goes into it than that.

I can understand getting wolves to fear men and fear getting to close to where men live, but torturing them with gut shots won't drive the lesson into their limited brains any faster. If you are a land owner or cattleman and they are eating your livestock then fine, kill it. Shoot it clean. Don't torture the dammed thing with gut shots or other bullshit, just fucking kill it if it's doing you wrong. As for what a game warden would think, the DNR sure isn't going to distinguish between a gut-shot wolf or a clean kill. They both result in the same thing, a dead wolf. As a matter of fact, if I were a warden and I came across some sportsman gut-shooting anything out of malicious intent, I would crucify you to the full extent that I could.

wikked
10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
^^^

ThatWhiteCivic
10-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Agreed with Hitman. Love to see a wolf in its natural habitat.

SmokinRAM114
10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
as soon as they venture down in this area and actually see the havoc they really do with personal animals, either pets or a farm animal youll want them gone too. but untill you actually have encounters with them, then i guess they will continue to be a large cute fluffy dog :durr

That_Guy
10-10-2009, 09:55 PM
as soon as they venture down in this area and actually see the havoc they really do with personal animals, either pets or a farm animal youll want them gone too. but untill you actually have encounters with them, then i guess they will continue to be a large cute fluffy dog :durr

i was talking to a friend who hunts up there.. they where bear hunting "with dogs" something i don't agree with to much but i digress. they lost 3 out of the 6 dogs last weekend to wolves.. apparently the bells they wear around there neck so the hunters know about where there dogs are act as a dinner bell.

HITMAN
10-11-2009, 05:19 AM

:punch:

OK Jackass, where did I say it was a big fluffy dog? If you'd bothered to actually read what I wrote, you'd understand that I said shoot the damn thing if you need to, just do it clean with the same humanity you'd give a deer you were going to shoot. Or perhaps you're just one of the idiots that just likes to kill anything that moves with any old sloppy shot.:loser

I'll say it again so you get it. A wolf is not a human. It doesn't have reasoning powers, it's not evil, it doesn't get that you don't like it and want it gone. It's a predator, and when it gets the gnawing in it's belly that says "I'm hungry!" it doesn't get to hop in it's car and head to the nearest McDonald's for a Big Mac and fries, it has to hunt and kill it's prey. Unfortunately for pet and livestock owners, it's prey just happens to be what ever it and it's pack can bring down. How does this instinctive behavior warrant a gut shot? Do you really think that the wolf is going to have an epiphany and finally understand that it's an evil beast, and that it deserves to die a slow, painful death? Or do you think it just crawls off somewhere and dies in agony without ever knowing why? I repeat, a wolf is an unreasoning beast. If it's causing problems, eliminate it, but do it with some understanding and humanity. It deserves nothing more or nothing less than a clean kill.

You want to blame somebody for the wolves and the assoiated problems with them, blame the meddlesome do-gooder bleeding heart animal activists. They pushed for the wolves to be reintroduced back into an environment they are never going to be welcomed back in. You wanna gut shoot something, go and shoot them and tell 'em why. They'll at least understand what you're saying to them...

HITMAN
10-11-2009, 05:25 AM
i was talking to a friend who hunts up there.. they where bear hunting "with dogs" something i don't agree with to much but i digress. they lost 3 out of the 6 dogs last weekend to wolves.. apparently the bells they wear around there neck so the hunters know about where there dogs are act as a dinner bell.

Heh, I guess it would never occur to a bear that it could kill a dog without too much effort...

Corner a wolf and corner a bear and see which one hands you your head in about five seconds. I wouldn't want to face either one, but if left with no alternative, I'd take my chances with a wolf.

ThatWhiteCivic
10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
We can pretend we live on the edge of wilderness here, but that's not the case. I'm more worried about a pack of racoons than a wolf/wolves within 300 miles of here.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
go up north to ashland county, where the wolves are pretty bad and listen to some of the stories. they are wreaking havoc up there and will soon be doing the same around here. my buddy and his 5 year old kid were checking bear baits last year when the kid wanted to go back to the cabin. they were only about 100 yards from the cabin and within sight, so the kid ran back. my buddy finished checking the last bait and started walking back. noticed that behind his kids footprints in the snow, were a set of wolf tracks that were not there before. scared the shit out of him. luckily the kid made it inside safely, but the wolf did circle the cabin. they are aggresive and i beleive that they should be controlled with before they get out of hand, which if you spend any amount of time in the northwoods, most would say they are already at that point.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Heh, I guess it would never occur to a bear that it could kill a dog without too much effort...

Corner a wolf and corner a bear and see which one hands you your head in about five seconds. I wouldn't want to face either one, but if left with no alternative, I'd take my chances with a wolf.

you will never have an encounter with one wolf. you may only see one, but they do not hunt alone.

i would take me chance with a bear vs a pack of wolves.

That_Guy
10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
you will never have an encounter with one wolf. you may only see one, but they do not hunt alone.

i would take me chance with a bear vs a pack of wolves.

agreed..

ive been followed through the woods and when deer are shot at camp at during the late afternoon hunt, a rifle and or a pistol is carried into the woods when we track down the kill. this is something that started happening in the last couple years. there is something scary about going back in to the woods the next morning and the gut pile is missing.. the very next morning.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
agreed..

ive been followed through the woods and when deer are shot at camp at during the night hunt a rifle and or a pistol is carried into the woods when we track down the kill. this is something that started happening in the last couple years. there is something scary about going back in to the woods the next morning and the gut pile is missing.. the very next morning.

oh yeah. i do not know anyone who bow hunts up there that does not carry a sidearm when staying in after dark. many of them have been followed out at one time or another. one of my very good friends does not sit after dark anymore. he was followed into the woods one evening :stare. the wolves tracked him and circled his tree when he was in it! he ended up sitting in that tree for a couple hours after close. he was tempted to sleep in his stand but he was worried he would fall out. he ended up leaving, but he did have a sidearm and it was loaded ready to go. mr. wolf meet mr raging bull, LOL! scared him enough to pretty much hunt mornings and afternoons only now. and this guy is a bigtime outdoorsman, not your casual hunter.

Silver03SRT
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm not worried about a wolf attacking me. I usually carry my 40 cal on my hip. Just wondering how everyone on here feels about wolfs. I wish I could shoot them but don't want to face the punishment so that's why I won't.

wikked
10-12-2009, 01:51 AM
I wish I could shoot a bunch of people but don't want to face the punishment so that's why I won't.

*fixed* :thumbsup

Silver03SRT
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM
*fixed* :thumbsup

Hahaha :thumbsup:rolf probably get more time for a wolf than a person too!

HITMAN
10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
If someone gets attacked, especially a child, THAT would would bring some REAL attention to the wolf issue. It will be too late and too bad for the individual that is attacked, but maybe that's what it's going to take to get some wolf population control and the PETA weenies to STFU or get shouted down. It always takes something tragic to get some sort of resolution to an issue. You can warn people until you're blue in the face but they won't listen until someone is killed. If I had a wolf situation such as the couple described above, I'd be walking around my property with a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot. If it got close enough to me or my family to the point that I felt threatened, it'd end up as a pair of mittens or a cool bed throw, Endangered Species Act be damned. No gut shots, just kill shots. ;)

OxmanWI
10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Aim right between the eyes...that's the sweet spot!

07ROUSHSTG3
10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
If someone gets attacked, especially a child, THAT would would bring some REAL attention to the wolf issue. It will be too late and too bad for the individual that is attacked, but maybe that's what it's going to take to get some wolf population control and the PETA weenies to STFU or get shouted down. It always takes something tragic to get some sort of resolution to an issue. You can warn people until you're blue in the face but they won't listen until someone is killed. If I had a wolf situation such as the couple described above, I'd be walking around my property with a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot. If it got close enough to me or my family to the point that I felt threatened, it'd end up as a pair of mittens or a cool bed throw, Endangered Species Act be damned. No gut shots, just kill shots. ;)

well, that is the problem. nothing will get done until a wolf snatches someone's kid. then it is too late. the DNR knows the wolves are a problem so why not do something before that happens? too much red tape, that is why. that is the reason for the gut shot. the people up there know that if they get caught shooting a wolf, regardless if they are doing it for a good reason, they are screwed. what do you do if you own a 40 and have wolves coming into your backyard watching your kids play on the swingset or if your livestock are getting chewed on?? your hands are pretty much tied?!?!

HITMAN
10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
well, that is the problem. nothing will get done until a wolf snatches someone's kid. then it is too late. the DNR knows the wolves are a problem so why not do something before that happens? too much red tape, that is why. that is the reason for the gut shot. the people up there know that if they get caught shooting a wolf, regardless if they are doing it for a good reason, they are screwed. what do you do if you own a 40 and have wolves coming into your backyard watching your kids play on the swingset or if your livestock are getting chewed on?? your hands are pretty much tied?!?!

Sorry, I still can't even fathom a reason to do something like that INTENTIONALLY. Shoot it, then bury it, burn it, run it through a chipper/shredder, I don't care, but kill the damn thing clean and/or STFU about it. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smile/cwm40.gif

That_Guy
10-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry, I still can't even fathom a reason to do something like that INTENTIONALLY. Shoot it, then bury it, burn it, run it through a chipper/shredder, I don't care, but kill the damn thing clean and/or STFU about it. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smile/cwm40.gif

2 years ago heard about a fella who killed a wolf then strapped it to a log then pushed it down river.. apparently it had a radio chip deal on it.. and thats how the dnr found it...

07ROUSHSTG3
10-13-2009, 07:13 AM
2 years ago heard about a fella who killed a wolf then strapped it to a log then pushed it down river.. apparently it had a radio chip deal on it.. and thats how the dnr found it...

a lot of them are chipped. if the chip stops moving, they go looking for it.

Silver03SRT
10-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Same with the elk. Lots of them have tracking collars/chips on it. They will get a big surprise if I ever shoot one and they see it moving down hwy 77 and 60mph haha that will be just to get it off the property. Not like I would ever do it but it would be funny to see the look on their face when they see that little dot on their screen flying down the road.

84hurst
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
A guy a mile from my deer camp has a trail cam set up on a wolf den. So far this year the wolves have brought in 14 deer, thats a big dent in the deer population. My opinion, shoot one if you see it.

HITMAN
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
:drool:
A guy a mile from my deer camp has a trail cam set up on a wolf den. So far this year the wolves have brought in 14 deer, thats a big dent in the deer population.

LOL, not big enough of one, IMO. With a pre-hunt population of over 1.5 critters out there, 14 is a drop in the bucket. Have one of those stupid fucking things run out in front of you out on Hwy 10 at about 2 am when you're moving at 70+ mph :wow and you'll see the deer population in a whole different light. I know I do, and since you fuckers don't seem to able to kill enough of them to keep me from having to play deer dodge'em, I wish the wolves all the luck in the world, most of it in the CWD areas. :thumbsup

My opinion, shoot one if you see it.

If you're talking about deer, I totally agree. :D Besides, unless you're oriental, wolf, she probably don't taste so good...:rolf
Venison...:drool:

theavenger333
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
bottom line..... against the law to shoot a wolf unless you're getting attacked. there are still super strict guidelines even for farmers regarding wolves attacking their livestock...

hitmans point, a good one.... you're a pile of shyt if you EVER gutshoot an animal. we're carrying a firearm, and you on purpose shoot an animal to suffer? you should suffer the same fate.
i can't stand people that take pot shot lucky shots at things they can't hit. i was taught that if i can't drop it in one shot, i shouldn't be shooting.

That_Guy
10-13-2009, 10:52 PM
bottom line..... against the law to shoot a wolf unless you're getting attacked. there are still super strict guidelines even for farmers regarding wolves attacking their livestock...

hitmans point, a good one.... you're a pile of shyt if you EVER gutshoot an animal. we're carrying a firearm, and you on purpose shoot an animal to suffer? you should suffer the same fate.
i can't stand people that take pot shot lucky shots at things they can't hit. i was taught that if i can't drop it in one shot, i shouldn't be shooting.

sound like my grandpa.. he always sent my dad and his brothers out into the woods with 1 round.. if you cant hit it the first time you it wasn't meant to be.

theavenger333
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM
sound like my grandpa.. he always sent my dad and his brothers out into the woods with 1 round.. if you cant hit it the first time you it wasn't meant to be.

i carry 3. 2 in the gun, one in my pocket. first doe i shot i dropped her but she "didn't get the point" and kept going for about another 1/4 mile. needed a 2nd to drop her clean and end it.

Silver03SRT
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Farmers cant even shoot wolves now. Wolves only kill about 5-8k deer a year.