PDA

View Full Version : Truck won't start...

CobaltSSTuner
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a 96 ford ranger 4-cylinder. I've been messing around with it trying to get it to fire, but i'm stumped. The alternator took a shit, so I replaced the alternator, bought a new batter, serpentine belt, and even battery terminal clamps!

Now its turning over like the motor is seized up. It turns over like the battery is dead, but its not that.

So i thought maybe one of the accessories that runs off the serpintine belt was locked up, so i took off the belt and tried turning it over, and it struggles to turn over.

I'm starting to think that this trucks last leg finally gave out. What do you guys think?

Holeshot
10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
First are you getting spark If so are you getting fuel? Start there. How many miles? .... Could be anything. Timing Belt ?

CobaltSSTuner
10-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Getting spark. Getting fuel. Timing belt is practically new. New starter, new alternator, new battery. I checked all the grounds. Whats wierd is that I can turn the crank pulley on it, so that means that the motor isn't seized. Also, i can push it down my driveway and pop start it.

It can't be the starter because I litteraly just put a new one in. For some reason its turning over very very hard and slow...

CobaltSSTuner
10-10-2009, 02:45 PM
95k miles...i'm stumped...

pashtrd
10-10-2009, 05:28 PM
just because its a new starter doesnt mean it a good starter. Where did you get it from?

Reverend Cooper
10-10-2009, 05:30 PM
make sure you check all your grounds for that system,a bad ground equals high resistance and a slow crank,the starter could be junk also.

Coops Brother
10-11-2009, 12:06 AM
I take it is a manual trans....? Is it possible the problem is in the hydraulic clutch? Where the clutch isn't releasing when you are trying to start it, does the truck start ok when in Neutral? If it does, then I am thinking there is a leak in the hyd clutch system or air in it.

Also, on the checking all the cables thing.... I had one the other day that had an almost broken off terminal on the + batt cable, starter end.

Turbo-Triumph
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok i know this is a bit off topic, and i know my signature pic is way to large, but i gatta know...

Who is that chick puttin on pants in your signature gif. ?

:drool::drool::drool:

if thats your girl your a lucky man

Turbo-Triumph
10-11-2009, 11:55 AM
oh also check the battery terminal clamps.

sounds dumb, but sometimes they get messed up and less conductive/weak and dont pass enough juice along.

CobaltSSTuner
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Starter i bought from autozone.

I checked all the grounds that i could find. Cleaned them up.

clutch wise, idk, because the truck starts when I pop start it. if the clutch wasn't fully engaging, then it wouldn't turnover at all correct?

Battery terminal clamps are brand new. I bought them when i replaced the battery. I thought it was the battery clamps at first, maybe not getting the right connection where the wires clamp in, but those are fine....

The chick in the sig is not my gf, but i sure as hell wish she was :)

OxmanWI
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok i know this is a bit off topic, and i know my signature pic is way to large, but i gatta know...

Who is that chick puttin on pants in your signature gif. ?

:drool::drool::drool:

if thats your girl your a lucky man

Everyone knows your one hand surfing right now...:banana

On topic:

How's your engine wiring harness? Maybe you have a sort some where and no power to the PCM or timing sensors (crank or cam).

Turbo-Triumph
10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
sounds like somethin stupid to me... i mean if it runs when you pop start it, somethings just not giving the starter enough juice.

OR, you bought a faulty starter.

my dad was helpin this guy put a starter in a firebird one time, 3-4 hrs later, they realized (after shimming it 600 different ways) the starter was faulty, and got it replaced.

if i remembor correctly, the starter just "clicked", though.

are you handy with a multimeter / amp meter?

Waver
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Check the starter (see if it is junk, hitting the flywheel propperly), the connections to the starter, as well as the connection from the battery cables to the terminal clamps.........if it was anything else, you wouldnt be able to clutch start it.

Waver
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I take it is a manual trans....? Is it possible the problem is in the hydraulic clutch? Where the clutch isn't releasing when you are trying to start it, does the truck start ok when in Neutral? If it does, then I am thinking there is a leak in the hyd clutch system or air in it.

Also, on the checking all the cables thing.... I had one the other day that had an almost broken off terminal on the + batt cable, starter end.

Doubt it, the clutch is not needed to start a vehicle, you only need to push in the clutch because of the neutral clutch saftey switch. disable it and you can start the truck all day like a automatic.....however it COULD be the neutral clutch saftey switch

Reverend Cooper
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Doubt it, the clutch is not needed to start a vehicle, you only need to push in the clutch because of the neutral clutch saftey switch. disable it and you can start the truck all day like a automatic.....however it COULD be the neutral clutch saftey switch

dummy,he said releasing the clutch all the way. read then post.

CobaltSSTuner
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I found the problem!!

It was a rusted out ground towards the back of the motor :goof I'm suprised i found it because it was hidden like a mofo. Truck runs great now. And i have a ton of new(er) parts on it now, so hopefully i should get another year or two out of my 250 winterbeater lol....that i bought 4 years ago.... :headbang

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Reverend Cooper
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Your welcome.

Coops Brother
10-12-2009, 09:15 PM
make sure you check all your grounds for that system,a bad ground equals high resistance and a slow crank,the starter could be junk also.

Good call, brother.:thumbsup

Waver
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
dummy,he said releasing the clutch all the way. read then post.

No dumy, he dosnt say that anywhere in his post when you release, YOU REREAD THE POST. I own a 97 with a manual dummy, I think I would know how the damn thing starts.

Turbo-Triumph
10-16-2009, 05:08 PM

if the saftey switch was faulty, it wouldnt even attempt to crank.

reverend cooper ftw!

Coops Brother
10-16-2009, 07:40 PM
what I meant was, if the pedal was pushed down, but there was air in the hydraulic system and the slave cylinder wasn't pushing the pressure plate in far enough to release the clutch, the engine would then still be partially engaged to the transmission, and could cause the engine to crank slow, due to the fact that the starter would in essence be trying to move the vehicle, hence why I asked if it started ok in neutral.
Anything else anyone needs explained???