PDA

View Full Version : Road America Lap Video, Oct 2009 FBody Meet

xwing
10-08-2009, 01:24 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Nissan-GTR-2009-Road-230_711629.htm

One Traqmate video'd lap in the 2009 GTR...did 2:30 still on the M&S rated "Winter Package" tires I drove through last winter! I was hoping to waste them off enough to justify getting Blizzaks for this winter, then get the SUMMER high performance Dunlops next spring. They still have good tread though, grr.
Car was just about a rocket ship, quickest I've ever gone around RA. I will probably have to bump up to Group A with the Racecars/Drivers and start following some people to get to the next step...

Car ran great day 1, but day 2 an electrical gremlin struck, car wouldn't recognize its own "Intelligent Key" (ROFL) so didn't get to run day 2. I got the car back from dealership already, some little electrical doodad "steering lock device" replaced under warranty, all good now.

Not as fast as the Mitsu 3000GT VR4, have datalogged 170mph in that at RA, but GTR corners with less push/less drama. I need to get the VR4 running for RA, I can "afford" to hurt that car. The GTR has to stay more daily driver...but we all know where this stuff leads...must...resist...:stare

Was a GREAT weekend, no rain either day. A little cool but no snow :) Wow were there some neat cars! Ferrari 355 wheeling it, Modded Vettes O'Plenty, F-bodies, EVO's/Subies, three 3000GT's including Phil Glazatov's Supercar Engineering wild roadcourse/daily driver Stealth; Porsche GT3 in my run group that I got around regularly (Sayonara Fritz :)), but everyone was very polite, good driving, great fun.
Good to see John G "Heatseeker" and the rest too. Wish winter wasn't so long--if fake "Global Warming" gets any worse we'll all FREEZE to death...well, Next Year,Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!

michelle
10-08-2009, 07:06 AM
I approve of this post and video greatly. Nice job!

WhatsADSM
10-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Can't wait to check out the video once I get home... 2:30 is HUSTLING, that's gotta be fun!

How were the trans temps?

xwing
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Highest I ever saw was 278F, usually 250's-260's. GTR people get their pants in a wad if it's over 280. Vette people laugh and say "300-310 no problem", but the GTR with its dual wetclutch trans might be more picky.
SOO many cars simply HAVE no transmission temp gauge, so think they are better than GTR on trans temp issue..."Ignorance is Bliss" I guess; at least makes it easier to Fling Poo without knowing there's poo on oneself!
I'll change out the trans fluid sometime, and eventually make a trans cooler. The End :)

WhatsADSM
10-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Highest I ever saw was 278F, usually 250's-260's. GTR people get their pants in a wad if it's over 280. Vette people laugh and say "300-310 no problem", but the GTR with its dual wetclutch trans might be more picky.
SOO many cars simply HAVE no transmission temp gauge, so think they are better than GTR on trans temp issue..."Ignorance is Bliss" I guess; at least makes it easier to Fling Poo without knowing there's poo on oneself!
I'll change out the trans fluid sometime, and eventually make a trans cooler. The End :)

No need to shoot the messenger.. I just have been following the car a bit since I thought it might be worth it to pick one up in a few years when the used market is a little more reasonable.

I've also read some of your posts about it before on the GTR forums. My personal opinion about it, is that there is good reason to be worried. We all know the history on that trans, and the fact that Nissan will do a lot to get away from performing warranty service on it. However at the end of the day I do agree all that matters is how it holds up in the "real world". The display could say it was pixie dust degrees as long as it doesn't break. I simply asked because I was curious how high it gets when you track it, since it seems to be doing fine for you thus far... Only time and a little data will tell for sure :thumbsup

In any case I just got back home and had a chance to watch the vid. It was AWESOME! Not sure on your driving abilities, but the lap looked almost effortless. :wow And that thing exits the corners HARD. Do you have any power or suspension mods?

deuceWI
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Not sure on your driving abilities, but the lap looked almost effortless.

Indeed! It's ridiculous how quick that is but at the same looks like you're just out for a Sunday (or in this case Saturday) cruise.

Holeshot
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Very Cool

RanJer
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice time, cool vid! :thumbsup

xwing
10-09-2009, 01:02 AM
NP Whatsadsm, I get annoyed on the GTR boards on cooling because there are a number of vendors selling very overpriced cooling items, like $3000 trans coolers...neat CNC'd aluminum stuff but WOW, the prices. None of the vendors even TALK about the friggin 1,500F exhaust pipe radiating heat directly ONTO the trans, rear diff etc...better to sell more and more hardparts. I've started heat coating mine, will be putting some more heat isolation all up in dat azz as time goes by.

Suspension and tires all factory stock. Even the tire fill, the original 29psi nitrogen from Nissan, never touched it ever.
I have full exhaust now.... making more hp by some.
You are right, it is very smooth to drive, and not fighting weirdness or deficiencies to get it to go fast. I sure didn't expect it to do this well, Nissan nailed it pretty good this time.

turbogarrett
10-09-2009, 08:19 AM
2:30 is incredible for a basically stock car!:stare

SSmike1
10-10-2009, 01:47 PM
mee too!

awesome video!
how do you do that?
what is that, got a link to that data & video system?

Thanks
:banana1:

I approve of this post and video greatly. Nice job!

WhatsADSM
10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
mee too!

awesome video!
how do you do that?
what is that, got a link to that data & video system?

Thanks
:banana1:

http://www.traqmate.com/

Its a GPS telemetry setup that I think also scans OBD-II and has on board accelerometers. Not sure exactly how it creates the video at the end... most systems you output the datalogged data and use software to sync the data and overlay the gauges/track over the original track video.

There are also freeware systems available (assuming you have the correct hardware). Checkout www.racechrono.com

Heat Seeker WS6
10-10-2009, 07:15 PM
April, April...April!

Hey Mikey...APRIL! :thumbsup

Beagle
10-10-2009, 07:16 PM
nice video!!!!

WilliamZ
10-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Awesome!!

SSmike1
10-11-2009, 03:08 PM
April, April...April!

Hey Mikey...APRIL! :thumbsup

I HOPE SO JOHN,
everyone was so nice and FUN last weekend, i think they want to give it a shot.
BUT,
we need to make sure everyone that THINKS they want to do this,
they must PAY UP before January 15th,
or the there will not be any event.

We need people who want to do this to PAY NOW! :thumbsup

Heat Seeker WS6
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
For those who have never seen one--- here's TWO

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs247.snc1/9421_1047196515655_1697954362_94026_6692786_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs247.snc1/9421_1047196435653_1697954362_94024_4389913_n.jpg