PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here make a good chili?

Yooformula
10-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Just looking for some new ideas. I just made a batch thats going on 5 hours of simmering with probably about 3 more to go:drool: I gotta admit I make a really good chili as long as I dont stray from my recipe:goof. I think what sets mine off is the shredded filet and right amount of raw brown sugar.

anyways, post up if you got a good one and what makes it stand out.

GOOD LS1
10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Mine has beer and coffee in it!

Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons oil
* 2 onions, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 1 can dark beer
* 1 cup strong coffee
* 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 1 can beef broth
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 tablespoon cocoa
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon coriander
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
* 4 chili peppers, chopped

Directions
- Heat oil.
- Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
- Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

0TransAm0
10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
ummm i just use the Shelby chili kit you buy in the store... brown the meat and add the can of tomato sauce and the packet of seasonings. along with the packet for "spicy" chili.. i don't use the malsa flower or the salt...

and i DON"T put beans in my chili... i HATE beans!

i add a little cayenne pepper. and a couple other seasonings.. that's about it.. let it simmer till its at the thickness you like and eat..

i tried it once using Angus fillet's and shredding it instead of ground meat.. and i didn't care for the consistency of it..

Yooformula
10-07-2009, 09:47 PM
i tried it once using Angus fillet's and shredding it instead of ground meat.. and i didn't care for the consistency of it..

My ingredient listings

* 1 tsp blk pepper/red pepper/mustand powder
* 1 large minced onion
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 1 lb shredded filet
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 can ro-tel diced tomatoes/chiles/peppers
* 2 cans tomato paste
* 1/4 cup raw natural brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon basil
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 2 cans kidney beans
* 1 can of pinto beans
* 2 cans of med chili beans
* 1 can of black beans
* 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup brown rice

HITMAN
10-08-2009, 01:38 AM
I like it simple, easy and tasty. Most people put too much shit in their chili. I start with my mom's base recipe. It's mild but it's a really good start. Ground Chuck, Onions, Tomato Paste, Diced Tomatoes, Chili Powder, Basil, Oregano, (not too much or it will make the stuff bitter) Dark red kidney beans. She can't eat anything hot so that's about it. I finish it off for myself with Frank's Louisiana Red Hot Sauce to taste, and once in a while I'll add some diced Poblano pepper or some seeded Chipotle for extra heat and flavor. Plus it helps to mix it up and keep it from being the same all of the time. A little sour cream from time to time, diced raw onion, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sometimes crackers, sometimes noodles. Whatever the mood and whatever happens to be laying around, but the base chili is easy enough for anyone to make without having a cupboard full of junk. :thumbsup

-stew-
10-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Webs.

/thread

Undertaker
10-08-2009, 06:33 AM
I just made some Chili last night too. Figured since it is getting colder out it is a good time to make some.

Got Boost
10-08-2009, 08:27 AM
My ingredient listings

* 1 tsp blk pepper/red pepper/mustand powder
* 1 large minced onion
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 1 lb shredded filet
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 can ro-tel diced tomatoes/chiles/peppers
* 2 cans tomato paste
* 1/4 cup raw natural brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon basil
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 2 cans kidney beans
* 1 can of pinto beans
* 2 cans of med chili beans
* 1 can of black beans
* 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup brown ricethats alot of beans ..Yooooo must gas ou the house:rolfI like the 2 alarm chili mix with a can of the Bushes Chili beans, and a can of diced tomatoes

Exitspeed
10-08-2009, 09:11 AM
I stick with pretty much the same ingredients too.

We should have a BCM chili cook off. :)

1 can Crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can light kidney beans
1 green pepper
1 red or orange pepper (I live the color contrast)
2-?? Jalapenos depending on how spicy I feel like making it
1 roasted pablano
1 bottle of beer
1 -1 1/2 lb ground beef
spices spices spices

xxsn0blindxx
10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't have a recipe per se, just a set of guidelines and adjusted to taste. I won a chili competition at work with over a dozen competitors so must be ok :) I like thick chili with a lot of spice flavor, not necessarily hot, just flavorful

1-2 onions diced
1.5 pounds of ground meat - I typically use ground venison or turkey to be on the healthier side, but most will probably want ground beef
2 of the large cans of diced tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
3 cans of black beans
3 cans of chili beans
4 packets of chili mix
ground cumin to taste
chili powder to taste

I first saute the onions until they carmelize, then add the meat and cook until crumbly. I then add garlic and one of the chili packets and let the meat absorb some of the flavor. If I use ground beef I brown it in a separate pan and drain the grease before putting it in with the onions.

Once the meat is cooked I put in the beans, tomatoes, remaining chili packets, 1 tablespoon each of chili powder and cumin. After the chili gets heated up give it a taste and adjust as needed. Its always a good idea to have an extra packet of chili powder just in case, but a packet of taco seasoning or adding more cumin and chili powder will work too.

ThatWhiteCivic
10-09-2009, 01:00 AM
The best chili is made without a recipe, using all the bastard ingredients in your cupboards, with plenty of tasting and adjusting, and simmering for a long time.
If you are shopping specifically for your chili, you are doing something wrong.

Exitspeed
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
We should have a BCM chili cook off. :)

Anyone interested in this over winter or something?

Yooformula
10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Anyone interested in this over winter or something?

hells yeah I am up for it!

jbiscuit
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
cookoff sounds fun. I have a pretty good one :)

PureSound15
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
The big question:

Noodles?

OR

No Noodles!

GOOD LS1
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Why not a chili dump? Everyone brings a few cups of their chili and it gets dumped into one big pot and makes the best chili ever possible!

Noodles on the side....everyone can choose then.

Prince Valiant
10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Webs.

/threadThis is so true...George Webbs really does have imo, the best chili in Milwaukee area. There might be better, but I haven't had it yet.

My favorite chili basically this....and don't expect me to give measurements, because I don't use any...I season to taste:

-Brown and drain lot's of ground chuck...a good meaty chili is always the best.
-No tomato paste/sauce...instead, I use Pace medium Picante sauce. Gives just the right amount of cooked onions and peppers, and is far easier then cutting the stuff up yourself.
-Can of diced tomatoes.
-~Half can of water to cut down on the tomato flavor.
-Basically a ratio of 2:1 of Pinto to Kidney beans. Pinto beans have a smooth texture/flavor, but kidney beans add a little more.
-Seasoning is a mix of:

salt (fair amount)
chili peppers (lots)
cummin (fair amount, not as much as chili powder)
cayenne (I like my chili to have a bite)
black pepper (not too much)
paprika (again, enough for it to bite back a little)
garlic (a little though)
oregano (a touch)

I thicken mine with Masa powder until it's a satisfactory consistency (differs for individuals).

That's my typical base chili. Things I might add includes:
-black beans (real smooth flavor, more southwestern)
-corn (again, gives a hint of southwestern flavor)
-noodles (rarely, but I prefer a good rotini, as it holds onto the thicker chili's well)

And that's it...you play around with the basics and add more...if you find a winning combo, then try and recreate/measure for a repeatable recipe.

But seriously, George webb's is still my favorite.

Exitspeed
10-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Why not a chili dump? Everyone brings a few cups of their chili and it gets dumped into one big pot and makes the best chili ever possible!

Noodles on the side....everyone can choose then.

I'd rather taste the different types of chili's and everyone's different take on it. I know personally I spend a lot of time preparing and making the chili and I'd rather have someone sit and appreciate my chili by itself. As well as me doing the same to theirs.

No noodles for me. But Tortilla chips and cheese yes please!

TheRX7Project
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
If you guys wanna have a chili cook off, I'll be a judge. As long as there's none of Scott Tenorman's pubes involved.

My chili:
1 big ass can of Hormel chili with beans
1/2 pound of elbow macaroni
1 15-oz can of whole kernel corn

Cook the noodles, drain. Add chili and drained corn. Heat and stir until the noodles are covered in chili.

My brother (Turbo_Triumph) and I ate this for a whole week one time. Our parents bet us we couldn't do it. We proved them wrong until they cheated (took us to a movie and bought us snacks).

-stew-
10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
If you guys wanna have a chili cook off, I'll be a judge. As long as there's none of Scott Tenorman's pubes involved.

Salt to taste using the tears of unfathomable sorrows!!!

CPonyGo
10-09-2009, 05:00 PM
My chili rips as well....I have no recipe I follow - just a few basics to get it going but the one constant I have found that makes for my chili tasting good is that I use V-8 for my juice adder and then then simmer and take off for the fridge- best served the following day...I make elbow mac on side as well as relish /onions and cheese and homemade corn bread...

Yooformula
10-09-2009, 05:23 PM
we should do this! I say no noodles but if we do a cook off, bring it all and see what works. I use just a bit of brown rice in mine for some added chew instead of noodles.

xxsn0blindxx
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
In general recipes are nothing more than a guideline to get you mostly there, you have to season to taste because the ingredients you use will vary in flavor from the ingredients the recipe writer used.

DirtyMax
10-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Webbs.

/thread

Id have to agree. Webb's chili is so simple but it's the perfect chili for my taste.

I think there should be a BCM chili cook-in at some hall this winter. I don't have a recipe but I will volunteer to be a judge! :goof

Yooformula
10-09-2009, 07:21 PM
In general recipes are nothing more than a guideline to get you mostly there, you have to season to taste because the ingredients you use will vary in flavor from the ingredients the recipe writer used.

very true! I usually get full from sampling before the damm thing is even done....but with 5qt at a time, I have enough for daaaays to sample:rolf

jbiscuit
10-09-2009, 08:16 PM
a true chili needs to "brew" for at least 3 hours. The heat needs time to ramp up. My leftovers can light a cigarette.

Yooformula
10-10-2009, 12:28 AM
a true chili needs to "brew" for at least 3 hours. The heat needs time to ramp up. My leftovers can light a cigarette.

how about 8? that was the final cook time from last night.:D

lordairgtar
10-10-2009, 01:15 AM
The big question:

Noodles?

OR

No Noodles!
That's Green Bay Chili, which is common around here. Anyone who knows beans about chili, knows chili has no beans. I like the basic ingredients found in Shelby's and add a few more things. I don't know if the bags still say this, but Shelby used to have a version that said if you were serving women or sissies, leave these things out. (the really hot stuff)

HITMAN
10-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Carroll Shelby's opinion on what good chili is is hardly the gospel on the subject. You could do better than Shelby just by going to Wendy's.

TheRX7Project
10-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Chili better have beans. I don't want my g/f to be able to sleep that night for fear of being gassed to death.