PDA

View Full Version : Tom at Road America

SSmike1
10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Tom,
it was nice to see ya at Road America!!!!!!!
i hope you enjoyed the track touring session.

That is the first 2010 SS Camaro i have ever seen at Road America ON THE RACE TRACK!!!!!!!!

NEXT TIME! let me take you for a ride!

and take your car out there and Run it,
I will Instruct you,.... i have a Intercom, that goes right inside your helmet,
and i talk directly into your ear, so you will not go off the track.

:thumbsup

you would LOVE that car on the track,
COME ON, did you look at the stock BRAKES you have on that car??????

DAM,
they blow my LS1 Brakes right out of the water!!!!!!!!!
and i have 4,500 Miles on that race track with that car alone!!!!!!!

All you need is a Track Pad,

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.html
carbotech XP8

or
Hawk Blue
http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/compounds/index.php

SSmike1
10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/index.php

Heat Seeker WS6
10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Mike, Tom got to USE that steering wheel that came 'free of charge' in his sportscar and was fun watching it in the mirror. There will be no apologizing for you making your tires squeal a bit while turning. You did good.... now for the next step.

michelle
10-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't know if I would trust Mike's instructing skillzzzz. :goof

SSmike1
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
wow, Michelle,
i am guna have to give you some Instruction!
:D

I don't know if I would trust Mike's instructing skillzzzz. :goof

michelle
10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
wow, Michelle,
i am guna have to give you some Instruction!

I don't recall us being on the track at the same time. Although you allowed your daughter to be my passenger, so you couldn't have been too worried. :goof

By the way, has she shown any interest in driving like that yet?

BAD LS1
10-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey thanks again guys, it was cool to be able to come into the corners all hot and push that car to the limits of the tires. The brakes worked awesome, but the real test is coming in at 100+ and then hauling it down into the corner. The power is deff ample too, its almost too much as i could easily broad slide it around the corners in 2nd when im trying to be fast out of the corners. The stabilitrak never interviened on me once either.

But keep me in the loop on this guys as to when the next event is that i could get instructed and then drive the track at speed. I will get some better pads in the mean time too, ones that maybe dont dust so much too.

GTSLOW
10-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Tom -

I used Hawk HP Plus's at the track which despite some criticism, worked AWESOME. I was doing 135 in the straights with a what 3700lb pig? Never once did I experience brake fade. Also HP+ are the street/track pad so they wont dust as much as a full race pad. However a good pad is going to dust some.

SSLEVO
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey thanks again guys, it was cool to be able to come into the corners all hot and push that car to the limits of the tires. The brakes worked awesome, but the real test is coming in at 100+ and then hauling it down into the corner. The power is deff ample too, its almost too much as i could easily broad slide it around the corners in 2nd when im trying to be fast out of the corners. The stabilitrak never interviened on me once either.

But keep me in the loop on this guys as to when the next event is that i could get instructed and then drive the track at speed. I will get some better pads in the mean time too, ones that maybe dont dust so much too.

I was going to say, after a track day with a proper pad you won't be able to tell what color your wheels are, lol. Pad selection is very important at RA as you can imagine. I would think 140-150 coming into T1 :thumbsup

Edit: I would stay awau from the HP+ pads if you are doing trackdays, they are made for autocross, high initial bite but the tempeture range is too low for a proper road course.

WhatsADSM
10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I was going to say, after a track day with a proper pad you won't be able to tell what color your wheels are, lol. Pad selection is very important at RA as you can imagine. I would think 140-150 coming into T1 :thumbsup

Edit: I would stay awau from the HP+ pads if you are doing trackdays, they are made for autocross, high initial bite but the tempeture range is too low for a proper road course.

FWIW I will also throw in another vote for going with a real pad. I think the best setup, if you are willing to do some work, is to get another set of decent blank rotors for the front as well as a nice race pad like the carbotechs or hawk blues described above. In the end it will be the best you can get for the track and the street (since you keep your stock stuff for the street) for a reasonable amount of money.. it will just take some time to swap them on/off on track days.

turbogarrett
10-08-2009, 05:13 PM
hp+ will work fine at road america , ecspecially with street tires. The track is really not that hard on brakes as there is plenty of time for cooldown.

Besides when starting out you may have the tendency to do "extra braking" (I know I did)creating a lot of unneeded heat and pad wear. I would rather eat up the cheaper hp+.

Car looks great Tom!!

GTSLOW
10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Have to disagree with those knocking the HP+. If the sessions were longer than 20mins probably, but like I said I ran 4 20min sessions and NEVER experienced fade. That's in a heavy pig going 135+. I'm sure they were to the limit temp wise but again never a moment of fade.

However I will be going with a set of blues in the front and HP+ in the rear the next time I run at RA (if they run it again).

michelle
10-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Hawk Blues are great. Dirty pads, but they work very well for the track.

deuceWI
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I was there running HP+ pads on the front of my little red mazda. It was my first time at Road America, and I felt those pads did a reasonably good job. The other Speed3 that was out there was running stock brakes, and was getting tons of fade. I had a couple moments during the first session coming into turns 1 and 5 where the HP+ pads felt too hot and a little weak, but I blame that more on my lack of skills and not knowing what I was doing. In the follow up sessions I concentrated more on being consistent and steady during braking, and felt very confident in the HP+es.

Pads were definitely the best upgrade to do before coming out to ensure I had a fun time all day. Brought me down from around 125 without any trouble.

Can't wait to bring the car back again and really start attacking those corners :D

turbogarrett
10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Ebc yellows are supposed to be a decent entry level pad too and won't get your wheels nearly as dirty as hawks.

I run a pretty mild pad made by carbotech and it provides more than enough brake torque to activate the abs on hot ra1's- the guy that has them made won't disclose the actual compound:rolleyes:

Your car will only stop as fast as the tires will allow. Track pads reached the limits of street tires on my car with too little effort, YMMV!

GTSLOW
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Going into T5 I had a few random front tire lock ups with the HP+.

SSmike1
10-10-2009, 01:32 PM
if we do not get 80 paid people by Jan.15th,
we will not have any more MFBA events.

http://roadamerica.fbody.us/

Please sign up by Christmas!

SSmike1
10-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I like to tease Micehlle.
and
NO, Samantha is NOT interested in driving???????
:( :durr

I don't recall us being on the track at the same time. Although you allowed your daughter to be my passenger, so you couldn't have been too worried. :goof

By the way, has she shown any interest in driving like that yet?

GTSLOW
10-10-2009, 04:25 PM
if we do not get 80 paid people by Jan.15th,
we will not have any more MFBA events.

http://roadamerica.fbody.us/

Please sign up by Christmas!

Wow that was fast!!! So they are going to run it this spring????

Heat Seeker WS6
10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
If the drivers want it bad enough it'll happen- kinda thinking it'll happen

I have the HP+'s and am very happy with them. In spring I'll switch to the Blues for tracking. Nice already having pre-darkened wheels since the pads are pretty dusty.

SSmike1
10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .....
80 Paid people by January, or NO, they are not going to run it again!
================================================== ==============

Wow that was fast!!! So they are going to run it this spring????

Korndogg
10-11-2009, 03:24 PM
hope you had fun....there goes the warranty...

GTSLOW
10-11-2009, 03:57 PM
If the drivers want it bad enough it'll happen- kinda thinking it'll happen

I have the HP+'s and am very happy with them. In spring I'll switch to the Blues for tracking. Nice already having pre-darkened wheels since the pads are pretty dusty.

I'm setting my ducts up next week. I'm going to throw in a set of blues also for spring.

hope you had fun....there goes the warranty...

:rolleyes:

Korndogg
10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
:rolleyes:

lol

BAD LS1
10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Its not a GTR so no warranty issue here...

Korndogg
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
just joking around anyway

Heat Seeker WS6
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Nan already BROKE the Goat...err actually the track did. That lower rear valance thingy flew off his car in one of the turns :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

GTSLOW
10-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I was gonna repaint her this weekend too. Ah well winter project.

Heat Seeker WS6
10-11-2009, 08:55 PM
2 of my smaller winter projects got pushed up to tomorrow :stare since I have the day off. Getting it ready for fridays RA event.

SSmike1
10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
yes John, that was too funny.
here is a 2005 GTO, that has 20,000 miles,...
and the first time on the race track, hitting 130MPH,
the rear Valance blows right off the car!

LOL :rolf :thumbsup

Nan already BROKE the Goat...err actually the track did. That lower rear valance thingy flew off his car in one of the turns :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf