PDA

View Full Version : Google phone system coming to Verizon

Holeshot
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
motorola_google_android.03.jpg
The Google Android system as seen on a Motorola Cliq.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Google's Android operating system for mobile phones will be available on the Verizon Wireless network under an agreement the companies announced Tuesday.

The companies said Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500) will introduce Android-based handsets within the next few weeks.

"The Android platform allows Verizon Wireless customers to experience faster and easier access to the Web from any location," said Eric Schmidt, chief executive officer for Google (GOOG, Fortune 500), in a statement.

The companies said they plan to develop "several" Android-based devices that will be pre-loaded with "innovative applications" designed by Google, Verizon and third parties.

Consumers will be able to buy the new products online and in Verizon retail stores. The phones will be made by "leading handset manufacturers," the companies said.

The terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The partnership comes as competition in the smartphone market heats up between Verizon and rival AT&T (T, Fortune 500), which has an exclusive agreement with iPhone maker Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500). To top of page

That_Guy
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
i have a g3 with tmobile.. i love it..

team beater
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
i have a g3 with tmobile.. i love it..
you mean a g1 or a mytouch

That_Guy
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM
you mean a g1 or a mytouch

g1... my bad lol

team beater