PDA

View Full Version : Ken Macha will be back with Brewers in 2010.....

Car Guy
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091004&content_id=7317388&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Thoughts...???

Karps TA
10-06-2009, 11:57 AM
As much as I wasn't thrilled with the job he did this year, I have to give him credit for not having the team quit on him. They still played hard. That says alot.

Plus it's not his fault they had no pitching.

Hopefully they can clean some house on guys like Cameron, Hardy, Hart and Kendall for next year.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
he deserves another shot at it.

DirtyMax
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Hopefully they can clean some house on guys like Cameron, Hardy, Hart and Kendall for next year.

Agreed on all accounts.

Re-sign Lopez, keep Casey as your everyday 3B, move Rickie to CF, find a LH right fielder, and go get a catcher. Rivera is good but I think he could be too old to play catcher everyday, especially since he has never seen regular action so it's a complete unknown whether or not he could handle it.

And possibly another thing to think about would be to get a stud pitcher in trade for Prince since he's probably gone after 2010 anyways and his stock is waaaay up. I think Rivera could be your 1B.

Since I was able to solve all that in 30 seconds, it gives Melvin plenty of time to shop for some arms!!! :goof

70challenger452
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I wasn't the biggest fan of Macha and I'm OK with him coming back. If we somehow got another Mike Maddux type pitching coach I'm pretty sure our record would have been better. Here's what I want to go down this offseason
Infield-
1B- Trade Prince for a #1 pitcher and move Mat Gamel to First.
2B- Lopez is a Boras client and last thing we need is to overpay for aging player(ex. Bill Hall, Jeff Suppan, ect.) so we keep Weeks there and hopefully he's the same player he was before he got injured.
SS- Trade Hardy for a pitching pospect and move Escobar into the #1 role.
3B- MeGehee proved himself this year and hopefully he can repeat what he has done.
C- Rivera starting with Salome backing up. Lucroy waits in the wings to be the future backstop of the brew crew.
Overall- A cheap and very productive infield right there.
Outfield-
LF- No questions here
CF-Cameron has said that he'd be willing to take a pay cut to be back, we'll see about that, another option would be bringing Gerut back although he would not be as effective he would be cheaper.
RF- I say give some guys like Iribarren and Bourgeois a chance to compete with Hart for the job.
Overall- Without Cameron it would be very average defensivly and Braun has to really carry the group offensively.
Pitching-
#1 Trade for Prince
#2 Gallardo
#3 FA such as a Doug Davis or someone from this list http://www.brewcrewball.com/2009/9/29/1061445/free-agent-pitchers-2010
#4 Bush
# 5 Parra, I still have faith, once he gets his head in the right place he will be good, will he ever? I don't know.

Bullpen- Suppan can get cut for all I care, even if we still have to pay him 12.5 mil. Other than that Hoffman and the group was solid and would be expensive to get much better, I'm somewhat satisfied with the group, I just think we need a better pitching coach.

I don't see this team being all that much better than 09 but I think '11 is going to be good. I think once we get rid of paying Suppan, Hall, and Cameron, that'll free up in 30 mil per in unproductive money. Plus I think theres going to be some young pitching coming up by then to complement Gallardo and company. Hopefully young guys like Cain and Lucroy are ready to step up at that point.

Karps TA
10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I am totally against trading Prince.

#1 you NEVER EVER get as good of pitching back for hitting. You're not going to get a stud #1 pitcher for Prince.

It would be like St Louis trading Poujols. .300 avg, 40 hr, 140+ hitters don't grow on trees. You can't let that go.

Plus it will kill attendance. This state roots for the fat guys. Unless you're getting CC back in this trade it's not worth it.

I have zero problem with Prince and Braun getting 40% of the team payroll. They are both worth it. You can't split that 3&4 up.

Beagle
10-06-2009, 05:57 PM
id rather have a manger who shows some god damn emotions. That guy stands there like hes frozen. Atleast get throw out of a game to get the team pumped up. Fuck that guy.

DirtyMax
10-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I am totally against trading Prince.

I don't think he will re-sign past 2010 anyways. NY or BOS is going to throw silly money at him to go be a DH and that will be that. All we will get is a draft pick in return.

jbiscuit
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I have zero problem with Prince and Braun getting 40% of the team payroll. They are both worth it. You can't split that 3&4 up.

agreed. Prince likes Milwaukee. He is a proven performer and a leader. He needs to stay. Getting rid of his production at the plate will only hurt us. We need the RBIs he is good for. Plus like said earlier, we'll never get a star pitcher for him anyways. Even though he is a league-leading hitter. Cut Hardy (the college girls will be pissed), Cameron, Kendall and Hart. We'll have a really good infield that can also hit. Try and get a couple outfields or start Gerut and whoever else....RF isn't too tough of a spot so stick anyone you want out there. Weeks even. I question Weeks in CF. Not sure he has the arm for CF

Karps TA
10-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Weeks can stay at 2nd. I don't want Lopez playing their everyday. He's not always into the game and doesn't always play hard. I think he's much better in the utility spot taking over for Counsell.

70challenger452
10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
While I do see it worth spending 18 mil a year on Prince but I just don't see Melvin doing so. Suppan and Hall's pay days are up after next season and that accounts for over 20 mil that we can spend on Prince so I'm all for it.

JC70SS
10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
id rather have a manger who shows some god damn emotions. That guy stands there like hes frozen. Atleast get throw out of a game to get the team pumped up. Fuck that guy.

X2!!

And trade prince? Ah no.

DirtyMax
10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
If they don't trade him, he's probably gone after 2010 anyways...

Nix
10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
If they don't trade him, he's probably gone after 2010 anyways...

As long as he gets the money he and his agent get the dollar figure they are looking for the Brewers have just a good a shot of keeping him and anyone. Plus people have to understnad that he has his roots here and way too many friends, which would make it even more of an incentive to hang around.

But people change and time goes marching on, sometimes its just purley about the all mighty dollar and what team is more popular/better chances at getting that ring.

You know once Brauns contract is over, hes gonna be long gone if he is still in great shape.

Macha deserves another chance, I think he has potential. His track record proves that he is able as a manager to make good decisions and tunr a team in to something. Its not his fault that he got stuck with garbage for a pitching and the injuries, oh my god. They just never end!! :(

DirtyMax
10-08-2009, 03:45 PM
He is Scott Boras' client so he's going to try to get Prince top $$. I don't think the hometown thing is gonna fly.

PB86MCSS
10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
It wasn't Macha's fault the starting pitching was terrible, hes a decent manager. One year is tough to judge a guy on anyways.

I doubt we can keep Prince long term, he will command $15-20 per year....plus his weight issues as he gets older are scary. He is fine now and will be for another few years but he is very young, once he is 30+ I dunno...

Hardy will be dealt and Gamel will too if we get a decent pitcher or pitching prospect in return. No need to move Gamel though unless we get value, Hardy we are kind of forced to move unless they do end up moving Weeks to OF or trading away, neither I see happening. I really hope they don't pick up Loopers option, he has no upside and is just another Suppan type who can eat innings and get shelled too often. Parra they will ride out and hope to have in the rotation but if he doesn't man up by April he won't be in the rotation but maybe given a change in scenery for his own and the teams sake. He sure has the ability. There aren't many decent C or CF's out there, I doubt they bring Kendall back, let Rivera and Solome split it up, hopefully one steps up. Cameron is just about worth that salary with his defense and although he whiffs alot and doesn't hit for a high average, he is solid offensively overall. An .800 OPS for a CF with his D doesn't grow on trees. But if they target a free agent starting pitcher they might have to let him walk.

It will be a very interesting off-season at any rate :D .

Nix
10-08-2009, 05:47 PM
He is Scott Boras' client so he's going to try to get Prince top $$. I don't think the hometown thing is gonna fly.

Yeah I know, wishful thinking on my part is all. :rolf

PureSound15
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
In addition to the pitching coach - a better catcher can help the pitching just as much.