PDA

View Full Version : The Chevy Caprice has returned!

pOrk
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Kinda looks like an impala from the back, but hell it looks nice

http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusive-the-chevy-caprice-police-car-is-back?skyline=true&s=i

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_2011_Chevy_Caprice_Police_Car.jpghttp://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-Aus-01.jpg
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-Aus-07.jpghttp://cache-08.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-Aus-02.jpg

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm freakin pissed at Gm right now. Or maybe this is a way for them to keep the chassis alive til things turn around more...then BAM the public gets the Caprice version of the G8.

agent orange acr
10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
looks good I just don't want to be in the the back seat of one or see it my rearview mirror.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
ford is messing up big time by getting rid of the crown victoria. should be a good opportunity for chev to move some cars.

shoooo32
10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
steelies! I can't wait for these to be auctioned off in a few years.

03CVLX
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
With Ford supposedly killing the Crown Vic, GM has a real opportunity to make a come back here. If they play their cards right this could be a huge winner. One thing I did read online is that the interior shots are of a G8 or commodore so I am not sure what the 'Caprice' interior will actually look like. I assume it would have to have buckets and column shifter for all the radios and those departments that don't want to mess with that fancy computer screen.

lordairgtar
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
This is the same car GM sells in the middle east as the Chevy Caprice. Based on the Zeta platform, but really stretched out. It's not exactly a G8 clone. Think Holden Statesman.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D52XcATHzos/RdW40S4VssI/AAAAAAAABL0/ePDC7h6OCII/s400/Holden+Statesman.jpg

LIZMO
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
from what i've heard Ford is going to be issuing Ford Taurus's as police cars once they are done with the Crown vic.

Holeshot
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Its a Holden WOO HOO

TheRX7Project
10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I think the front looks too "Aveo". I've always liked the new Impalas, and would rather have one over that odd-looking monstrocity.

EDIT: Must revert, found out it's RWD. Now if it could just be a stick...

Al
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm freakin pissed at Gm right now. Or maybe this is a way for them to keep the chassis alive til things turn around more...then BAM the public gets the Caprice version of the G8.

I read somewhere that it is NOT a G8.

lordairgtar
10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Longer wheel base than a G8 but based on the same Zeta platform.

Rocket Power
10-05-2009, 08:34 PM
from what i've heard Ford is going to be issuing Ford Taurus's as police cars once they are done with the Crown vic.

CV's are hard enough to sit in back with a cage, a Taurus may be cruel and unusual punishment:rolf

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I think the front looks too "Aveo". I've always liked the new Impalas, and would rather have one over that odd-looking monstrocity.

EDIT: Must revert, found out it's RWD. Now if it could just be a stick...

*shakes head*

The G8 GXP was 402hp LS3 RWD, and 6speed for $34,000 (after discounts that went on during most of the time it was for sale). Can't get much ore awesome then that for a sport sedan in that price range.

pw_cc_runner
10-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Atleast there will be some cool taxi cabs in 10-12 years :thumbsup

Firefighter Z
10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Ford's New Taurus Police Car LOL!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/12/robo_main_f.jpg

lotsals1
10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Well the new twin turbo SHO Taurus is pretty cool IMO
:headbang

Exitspeed
10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I read somewhere that it is NOT a G8.

It's still the same platform and shares almost all the same sheet metal. The fact that they are keeping the platform around is good news.

0TransAm0
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
the push bar on the front gives it the mean look... i like it.

Karps TA
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
It's still the same platform and shares almost all the same sheet metal. The fact that they are keeping the platform around is good news.

It's on a longer wheelbase then the G8. It's actually on what would have been the G8 Sport Ute's chassis.

What makes no sense to me is that they probably don't make jack shit on govt sold cars. I'm guessing the margain's are paper thin. So why invest the time and money. Especially with that company that is trying to make/sell cop cars only that are easily upgraded and refurbished.

If they made the car for the avg consumer and also made a cop car version, that I could totally understand. but to only do this for police usage is odd to me.

Exitspeed
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
It's on a longer wheelbase then the G8. It's actually on what would have been the G8 Sport Ute's chassis.

But still the same platform.

What makes no sense to me is that they probably don't make jack shit on govt sold cars. I'm guessing the margain's are paper thin. So why invest the time and money. Especially with that company that is trying to make/sell cop cars only that are easily upgraded and refurbished.

If they made the car for the avg consumer and also made a cop car version, that I could totally understand. but to only do this for police usage is odd to me.

Which is what leads me to believe they are using this to buy some time for shit to turn around for them even more. It would be a cake walk for them to then start selling this thing as a Caprice if other circumstances were right ie Saab, Saturn, Hummer, gone and Pontiac dead.

pOrk
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM

The gobment owns GM, so they are making their own police cars now. Dur

Waver
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Kinda looks like an impala from the back, but hell it looks nice

Well, this makes total sense since from its inception the caprice/impala were just different names for the same car (trim level). IE byscane/impala/caprice

Waver
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Ford is doing it right now with the crown vic

88Nightmare
10-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I think the Crown Vic and equivalent Grand Marquis are limited to fleet sales only.

What I don't understand is why GM would produce this Caprice and limit it to ONLY fleet sales. With the time and money spent to change this zeta platform based car to the gm corporate front end, why would GM limit their potential earnings on it to ONLY fleet sales? I suppose thats a dumb question since they are government owned now....

That_Guy
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
ford is messing up big time by getting rid of the crown victoria. should be a good opportunity for chev to move some cars.

from my understanding they have a replacement car in the works.. and it has a dohc 5 liter.. or something along the lines of that. im sure it doesnt matter now though, now with gm being owned by obamanation

07ROUSHSTG3
10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
^^^
i am pretty sure it is going to be in the new taurus chassis. at least that is what i read.

Waver
10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I think the Crown Vic and equivalent Grand Marquis are limited to fleet sales only.

What I don't understand is why GM would produce this Caprice and limit it to ONLY fleet sales. With the time and money spent to change this zeta platform based car to the gm corporate front end, why would GM limit their potential earnings on it to ONLY fleet sales? I suppose thats a dumb question since they are government owned now....

Ford had been doing the fleet only sales of the crown vic since the 2009 model year. I think the grand marquis is dead after the 2009 model year, however I am not too sure about this since I dont sell mercurys